Religious institutions responding to coronavirus

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Fortyeightvows

Religious institutions responding to coronavirus

Post by Fortyeightvows » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:34 am

So many temples are closed for the coronavirus. so many temples rely on new years donations to keep them going through the year it's a good thing that the virus didn't get really big until after new year (although there was that joke about giving 紅包 with face masks in it). Most of the temples I go have closed these last few weeks too.

As for the "catholic" churches, the ones in Italy closed by government decree, the ones in USA and UK are closing too. (Have to find some other place to listen to guitar music on sundays) Even some of the FSSP churches are following the local "bishops" order to shut down. All this is right before the major holiday of Easter, which I think is right next to Christmas in terms of attendance and donations.

Meanwhile the orthodox churches remain open as usual...
https://www.znak.com/2020-03-15/v_rpc_z ... ronavirusa

Maybe the buddhist temples should follow suit, instead of closing, have even more services!

shaunc

Re: Religious institutions responding to coronavirus

Post by shaunc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:28 am

I feel that closing is the right thing to do. Yes, economically they'll probably suffer a bit but that's better than having monks and nuns falling off the perch one after the other.

Fortyeightvows

Amulet convention in Malaysia canceled

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:52 am

https://www.sinchew.com.my/content/content_2232203.html

They cancel the convention, but should't it be the safest place to be ?
A good chance to show your faith in your amulet!

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 pm

shaunc wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:28 am
I feel that closing is the right thing to do. Yes, economically they'll probably suffer a bit but that's better than having monks and nuns falling off the perch one after the other.
Hong Kong Buddhist temple linked to Covid-19 cluster ‘sincerely sorry’
A Buddhist hall in Hong Kong on Wednesday apologised for not shutting its temple and suspending gatherings sooner, after multiple worshippers and its own master contracted Covid-19.
Breaking its silence over the outbreak, Fook Wai Ching She, a temple in North Point established in 1958, said there had been no consensus among followers on whether to close during the Lunar New Year. Since the holiday in late January, 19 people connected to the venue have been infected.
“Our followers were not sensitive enough … we deeply regret and feel sad about the coronavirus cluster infection,” it said in a statement published in local newspapers.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... ple-linked

Norwegian

Re: Amulet convention in Malaysia canceled

Post by Norwegian » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:52 am

https://www.sinchew.com.my/content/content_2232203.html

They cancel the convention, but should't it be the safest place to be ?
A good chance to show your faith in your amulet!
Not at all. The virus doesn't give a damn about your faith.

Practice your faith while you also practice social distancing, isolating yourself from others. That way you cannot (easily) get sick, and if you're sick, you cannot infect others. That way you contribute to slowing down the spread of COVID-19.

Large gatherings are hot zones for infections to happen.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:43 pm

All churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, etc etc are closed in the UK. As are all theatres, restaurants and art galleries in the large cities.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Fortyeightvows

If the virus had happened hundreds of years ago…

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:42 am

I think if this virus had happened hundreds of years, that Dr Li would be considered like a martyred saint.
If the virus had happened hundreds of years ago, their would be a shrine to him. People in the future would attribute healings to his spirit.

Today the ccp has made an apology to his family. If this was hundreds of years ago, the emperor would bestow him a posthumous title. People could make offerings to his spirit to stop pandemics. He would be called a bodhisattva and become something like a new Baosheng Dadi.
Last edited by Ayu on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:15 pm

The catholic church where I volunteer at the food pantry is closed for regular services, the pastor is making a lot of phone calls and the congregation is trying to stay in touch. He is emphasizing expanded practice and study at home. The pantry is probably going to open on its regular day and hours but in a limited fashion; only one person at a time in and out, each picking up pre-made bags, no checkin process.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:47 pm

Similar responses from charities here. The homeless are particularly hard hit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-22/ ... e/12072612

:coffee:
Kim

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Today was the food pantry day at the catholic church where I volunteer- inner city Baltimore. The Maryland Food Bank, various state agencies and a lot of the individual pantry operations have been in consultation for a while, to figure out how to open and operate safely and reach the most people. The instruction from the state gov't was to stay open and stay safe as these types of operations are considered important. The church is otherwise closed for services, though apparently parishoners can schedule blocks of time in the church for individual worship.

We simplified our procedures, and gave out the bags outside under the building awning, one person at a time at the tables and only a couple of us serving. No masks are to be had for love or money but I tossed in a box of the nitrile gloves I use in the shop- so we had them on, changed them a few times and washed frequently. The Food Bank issued us with a couple bottles of industrial hand sanitizer, we used some of that also. Every hour we wiped down the tables with the recommended bleach solution, and wiped down all the customer facing tables, carts etc after. We also chalk-marked X's at 6 foot spaces along the sidewalk where people should stand in line.

We provided food for approx 430 people- about twice the usual for March, despite the rain. We had a large influx of new folks, only a few gave the appearance of taking what they could even if they didn't necessarily need it (due to driving up in a nice car). Quite a few people said they had nothing in their houses. We had no difficulties with the distribution, and had about half our usual complement of volunteers so it was a busy day. The skinny was a number of other pantries could not open due to lack of staff or food- some of our customers were overflow from elsewhere.

The church's Father was present quite a bit in full dress, and had the idea to tell the city police about what we were doing. Given the crowd he wanted to make sure nobody would be suprised. They sent an officer over, after watching us for a while he decided to get one of their community relations people over who gave out toilet paper to quite a few of our customers, which was well received.

So I'd say if you're healthy and want to help some folks, go volunteer somewhere. Even in a food pantry there are back-room jobs, just breaking down the boxes and filling bags is vitally important; the counter people can't work without them and often there are several setup days before the pantry opens.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”