No boredom for those who practice

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
PadmaVonSamba

No boredom for those who practice

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Because of precautions being taken during the Coronavirus, many people are confronted with what do while having to stay at home for days and days (the homeless don’t face this dilemma). I find this to be a great opportunity to practice. For me, mostly meditation. I’m glad to be able to sit for two or three hours at a time. For others, it might be chanting or studying sutras or some other practice.
What do you think? Do Buddhists have an advantage here?
Also, are you having any experience where you yourself are just fine, but others around you, family members, are getting irritable, restless and bored?
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

kusulu

Re: No boredom for those who practice

Post by kusulu » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:05 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 pm
Because of precautions being taken during the Coronavirus, many people are confronted with what do while having to stay at home for days and days (the homeless don’t face this dilemma). I find this to be a great opportunity to practice. For me, mostly meditation. I’m glad to be able to sit for two or three hours at a time. For others, it might be chanting or studying sutras or some other practice.
Also, are you having any experience where you yourself are just fine, but others around you, family members, are getting irritable, restless and bored?
As one being in the Plum Village Tradition, yes I sit daily, I normally try to sit for at least an hour as I have discovered from my own experience that's the minimum sitting that allows and encourages balance for me, emotionally and mentally.

I also do maybe another hour of another formal practice such as mindful walking, yoga, qigong, kitchen duty (this one is unusually strong practice for me) or yard work.

And then I study, yes the Dharma, and also all non-dual traditions that all have unique ways of freely living, in liberating ways, that cause no harm.

It takes a special way of approaching activity like working or studying, that allows the mind to settle and be calm and to reflect the qualities that arise during the sitting sessions. It's important to be sensitive to how it arises.

boda

Post by boda » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Do Buddhists have an advantage here?
If this translates to anything like 'don't suffer as much' I should hope so, otherwise, what's the point?

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:43 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
They should know restlessness and boredom to be afflictions and that there is a difference between the contaminated practice being initiated by restlessness and/or boredom or any of the other afflictions on the one hand and pure practice on the other hand.

TheTraveler0203

Post by TheTraveler0203 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:21 pm

True!! No boredom here! :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:

All the best for you Dharmawheel members!
Be safe!

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:47 pm

"No boredom for those who practice", unless they get bored of practicing. A very real phenomenon!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:48 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:47 pm
"No boredom for those who practice", unless they get bored of practicing. A very real phenomenon!
I plead guilty as charged! Split my head to 7 pieces!

kusulu

Post by kusulu » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:01 am

Grigoris wrote:
This happened to me today, I was very bored, just wanted to find like a silver bullet that would solve all problems. I persisted in working on the problem most of the day until finally I realized it's true, it doesn't matter exactly what I do, but just do something. If all else fails, just do that one thing that gets you back in your zone, even if it makes no sense to do so. Silver bullets not needed, just move the energy.

:twothumbsup:

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:17 am

Grigoris wrote:
One might say that that might happen when practice evolves into a ritual. But more enlightening might be to investigate into the underlying cause of this boredom.
Śāriputra: When he thus trains, which dharmas does a Bodhisattva train himself in?
The Lord: He does not train in any dharma at all.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 am

Śāriputra: When he thus trains, which dharmas does a Bodhisattva train himself in?
Yup, that's me!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Rinchen Samphel

Post by Rinchen Samphel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:45 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 am
Yup, that's me!
Haha!

WesleyP

Post by WesleyP » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:35 pm

Daily Walking Exercise.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”