Check out this video!

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
brendan

Check out this video!

Post by brendan »

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/the-sup ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funny video.
Last edited by brendan on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
plwk

Re: Check out this video!

Post by plwk »

Another story here (but no name given either)

phpBB [video]

But seriously, what's so fascinating about it? :popcorn:
booker

Post by booker »

No offence, but David's flying looks more impressive :)

phpBB [video]
"Be Buddhist or be Buddha"
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Bogus. Never trust a Discovery Channel magician to "level" with you!

The rebirth of the dead giveaways:

1. If you watch from too close the trick doesn't work.
2. Must be performed in a particular spot, in front of a curtain (of prayer flags)
3. Camera only reveals behind the magician before the floating begins.
Once he's in the air, we don't get to see behind him, so you don't see the mechanism that lifts him up.
4. Watch the YouTube version. He lands with a slight bounce as the device (basically a type of crane or level, like a see-saw) drops him back onto the floor
5. The host, a professional magician, says "it's the real deal" so of course, it's not. He's not some skeptical journalist. They are all in this together.

This is classic vaudeville. I hope that this "monk" and his assistant behind the prayer flags were paid well by the Discovery Channel. It was a good trick, well done.

However, It doesn't really help dispel the misconceptions that many people have about the Dharma.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Basho

Post by Basho »

:jumping: I think my favorite part is probably the fact that right after the "monk" :quoteunquote: starts chanting the chenrezig mantra, which i chant everday and have yet to float (although the vajrapani mantra teleports me, instantly, :rolling: to wherever i want to go) and the "magician" :quoteunquote: says "hes chanting his mantra, this guys the real deal". Of course he is. he knows the secret om padme hung mantra :shock:
An Autumn night---
Dont think your life
didnt matter
-Basho
Tarpa

Post by Tarpa »

Haha ya I saw that show too, total B.S., didn't know wether to laugh or be angry about it but what do I expect from television ?

Things I found quite funny about it -

The so called " monastery " was just a little house and how rude of that guy to just walk in somebodys home like that when nobody answered the door, at night no less, the inside was obviously a studio set, the little windows inside were western style, there was no shrine anywhere to be seen, just what looked like long folding tables, candles everywhere, birthday cake candles wich I thought was funny as hell, and brand spanking new prayer flags everywhere INSIDE the house, you could tell they were new because they were bright and still had a bit of a curl in them, no thangkas on the walls, no shrine, no furniture, just birthday candles and prayer flags, lol. Then of course it just got more ridiculous from there once the supposed " monk " appeared. Total B.S. and I think that guys an idiot as well as being disrespectful to our tradition, Hollywood's on crack.
The nonexistence of the transcendence of suffering
is what the protector of the world has taught as the transcendence
of suffering.
Knots tied on space
are untied by space itself.

May I never be seperated from perfect masters in all lives,
and delightfully experiencing the magnificent dharma,
completing all qualities of the stages of the paths
may I quickly attain the state of Vajradhara
davidchatman

Post by davidchatman »

Its amazing video indeed.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Does anyone know of any real siddhas? I guess there are a few alive in the tibetan tradition?
brendan

Post by brendan »

Ryoto wrote:Does anyone know of any real siddhas? I guess there are a few alive in the tibetan tradition?
What do you mean like a solution to cancer,leukemia , abnormal cell growth etc?

The so-called "perfect Buddhas" are only pefect on paper, they are all fantasy.

Brendan
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

brendan wrote:
Ryoto wrote:Does anyone know of any real siddhas? I guess there are a few alive in the tibetan tradition?

Brendan
No Buddha has claimed to have powers to cure a person with cancer, leukemia or abnormal cell growth. Anything else you want to make up about what Buddhas can do?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

Mr. G wrote:
brendan wrote:

Brendan
No Buddha has claimed to have powers to cure a person with cancer, leukemia or abnormal cell growth. Anything else you want to make up about what Buddhas can do?
yeah that stuff is definitely more Jesus' line of work.
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
brendan

Post by brendan »

Mr. G wrote:
brendan wrote:

Brendan

If that is true there would not be suffering of medical conditions!

As the so-called "Perfect Buddhas" who have "unlimited compassion" , would of handed out the cures.

Like i said, its nonsense.

Buddhas are only correct on paper.

Brendan
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

brendan wrote:

As the so-called "Perfect Buddhas" who have "unlimited compassion" , would of handed out the cures.

Brendan
Did you read what I wrote?

No Buddha has claimed to have powers to cure a person with cancer, leukemia or abnormal cell growth.

No Buddha can wave their magic wand and grant you enlightenment. Unlimited compassion means they guide by teaching. A Buddha is not an omnipotent God, and never claimed to be.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
brendan

Post by brendan »

Mr. G wrote:
brendan wrote:

Brendan
Did you read what I wrote?

No Buddha has claimed to have powers to cure a person with cancer, leukemia or abnormal cell growth.

No Buddha can wave their magic wand and grant you enlightenment. Unlimited compassion means they guide by teaching. A Buddha is not an omnipotent God, and never claimed to be.

What about medicine Buddha?

Why do you pray to them for?

Its just a play on words.

You said "Unlimited compassion means they guide by teaching".

Its non-sense.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

brendan wrote:

You meditate on the Medicine Buddha to help with sickness. However, this does not override Karma:

This last episode of Moggallana's life, however, showed that the law of moral causality (Kamma) has even greater power than the supernormal feats of this master of magic. Only a Buddha can control the karmic consequences acting upon his body to such an extent that nothing might cause his premature death.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .html#ch10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, it's a fact. There is no sutta, sutra or tantra that says a Buddha claimed to have powers to cure a person with cancer, leukemia or abnormal cell growth.

Think I'm wrong? Give me a citation where it says a Buddha is omnipotent.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

Mr. G is right, but that doesn't stop 99% of East Asian Buddhists from praying to the Buddha, Tara, Guanyin, etc, for intercession in exactly the same way that Christians pray to Jesus and Mary.
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

gad rgyangs wrote:Mr. G is right, but that doesn't stop 99% of East Asian Buddhists from praying to the Buddha, Tara, Guanyin, etc, for intercession in exactly the same way that Christians pray to Jesus and Mary.
I have no problem with petitionary prayer. The problem is when they think it's a magic bullet that overrides karma.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
brendan

Post by brendan »

Mr. G wrote:
brendan wrote:

You meditate on the Medicine Buddha to help with sickness. However, this does not override Karma:

This last episode of Moggallana's life, however, showed that the law of moral causality (Kamma) has even greater power than the supernormal feats of this master of magic. Only a Buddha can control the karmic consequences acting upon his body to such an extent that nothing might cause his premature death.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .html#ch10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, it's a fact. There is no sutta, sutra or tantra that says a Buddha claimed to have powers to cure a person with cancer, leukemia or abnormal cell growth.

Think I'm wrong? Give me a citation where it says a Buddha is omnipotent.

Your quotes mean nothing.

Its just continually a play with words.

They are only Buddhas on paper.

How do they help you or me?

If they understand the causes of suffering then they have then causes to stop suffering,for you and me.

They (Buddhas) are said to be perfect, they are clearly not perfect (only on paper).

Brendan
Last edited by brendan on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Mr. G wrote:
gad rgyangs wrote:Mr. G is right, but that doesn't stop 99% of East Asian Buddhists from praying to the Buddha, Tara, Guanyin, etc, for intercession in exactly the same way that Christians pray to Jesus and Mary.
I have no problem with petitionary prayer. The problem is when they think it's a magic bullet that overrides karma.

What do you mean "overides karma".

If they (Buddhas) are perfect then they have _all_ of the perfect causes to stop suffering.

They (Buddhas) are not perfect yet.

Brendan
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

brendan wrote:
Your quotes mean nothing.
Yes. How foolish of me to define what the Buddha can do by using the words of the Buddha. :lol:
How do they help you or me?

If they understand the causes of suffering then they have then causes to stop suffering,for you and me.
They help you by providing you teachings to end the afflictions that cause suffering. You are the one that actually has to apply those teachings by practicing.
If they (Buddhas) are perfect then they have _all_ of the perfect causes to stop suffering.
No, they don't. Once again, provide a citation from a sutta, sutra, or tantra stating that a Buddha is omnipotent and can make you enlightened. If you are unable to, this thread will be locked as you are just blathering mindlessly with no evidence.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”