officially taking refuge

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
ryu

officially taking refuge

Post by ryu »

Hi all,

in the last few months i have been studying at a Tibetan buddhist centre under the Kagyu Lineage. I really feel at home. I have spent the last 15 years looking at various traditions but havent been ready as i had various demons i needed to conquer.

i am now alot more mature and i have said goodbye to my demons and i am now ready to go for refuge. I have spoken to the lama and i will take part in a ceremony on the 25th February.

Can somebody give me an idea of what to expect when i partake in cermony in the Tibetan tradition of going to refuge.

love and light to you all.

xx

Ryu
Dechen Norbu

Re: officially taking refuge

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Take a look here:

http://www.khandro.net/Buddhist_becoming.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Refuge in every single Buddhist tradition is the same.
There are some superficial cultural differences.
But it boils down to the lineage holder says "Repeat after me...
I take refuge in Buddha, Dharma and Sangha" and the student
does so three times. The teacher cuts a few hairs and maybe
gives a few precepts. And that's it.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

The link and comments do about cover it to my opinion.

One mention I would make is the emphesis on taking buddhism as the ultimate final thing in things of the conventional world.
Another words.....buddhism first in the consideration of things.

That may perhaps have been particular to a circumstance, but perhaps it was not, and other lamas may mention that.
One of those that were present did decline that as result....which is why I mention it.
If it was not just particular to our circumstance perhaps one could be prepared for that.
If it was then it would not apply.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”