"Three Doors" meditation Tenzin Wangyal Source

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
LolCat

"Three Doors" meditation Tenzin Wangyal Source

Post by LolCat »

Apologies if this is not the right place or right time to ask this question, but this is not very important and I didn't want to create a new topic for this.

I am going through a book by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche(Spontaneous Creativity), and I like his presentation of what he refers to as the 3 Doors, I felt immediate relief when I tried out some of the meditations. Is there a corresponding presentation of these teachings in Nyingma?
I ask here because I remember reading that ChNNR invited him to teach and I am guessing there may be an overlap between the DC sangha and Ligmincha sangha.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

LolCat wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:23 am Apologies if this is not the right place or right time to ask this question, but this is not very important and I didn't want to create a new topic for this.

I am going through a book by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche(Spontaneous Creativity), and I like his presentation of what he refers to as the 3 Doors, I felt immediate relief when I tried out some of the meditations. Is there a corresponding presentation of these teachings in Nyingma?
I ask here because I remember reading that ChNNR invited him to teach and I am guessing there may be an overlap between the DC sangha and Ligmincha sangha.
Far as I understand It's basically TWR's own way of teaching from some lines from the Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyud Dzogchen presentation on Contemplation. I have heard Padmasambhava quotes and similar that kind of cover the same ground, but never seen the exact thing personally, though i'm far from an expert. You can find the relevant lines in Wonders of The Natural Mind, here's one example, I think in total there are nine sort of aphorisms like this, many of which repeat the "three doors" theme:

"To find oneself in the natural state of mind by three deliverances: releasing the body into a state of physical inaction, speech into silence, and mind into absence of thought."

If you liked the instructions I think Awakening The Luminous mind is the book that focuses on them the most.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
LolCat

Re: "Three Doors" meditation Tenzin Wangyal Source

Post by LolCat »

Thank you for the response and the recommendation! I will check out Awakening the Luminous Mind once I am done with Spontaneous Creativity.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Awakening the Luminous mind is amazing, as is his book on ‘souls retrieval’ (I’m blanking on the name).

ChNN taught a type of vipashyana that is similar to the inner refuge, going one at a time through the three doors (and the world).
In a few places he discusses trekchod and says that it does not need to be done one at a time, and I’ve always wondered if he was thinking of TWRs approach, which is sequential.

The Yuthok Nyinthig also discusses resting the the three doors in its rushes section.

But, to be honest, even though the above seem related (to me they seem related at least), the are very brief and concise and do not go into the depth that TWR does on the subject.
Same with the normal descriptions of vajra chanting and his “Tibetan Sound Healing.”
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Thank you for the answer! I googled and I think you are referring to the True Source of Healing? It sounds really cool, I could use a lot of healing!

Can I find ChNN's vipashyana that you talk about in a book somewhere?
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

LolCat wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:10 am Thank you for the answer! I googled and I think you are referring to the True Source of Healing? It sounds really cool, I could use a lot of healing!

Can I find ChNN's vipashyana that you talk about in a book somewhere?
"True Source of healing," yes. It is genuinely amazing.
I don't own a copy, but it really got me through a rough time.

If you are a DC member, the meditation I am thinking of is discussed in "The Precious Vase."
Memory fails as to whether it is actually referred to as vipashyana, and like I said it is (IMO) similar to inner refuge, but may not be what you're looking for. The book is, of course, amazing, but I'm not sure that that particular section is quite so mind-blowing to be worth the price.
...but, if you're a DC member or student of ChNN it is absolutely essential.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Oh yes, I am a DC member and already have the book. I will look for the material this weekend, I think I must have already read through it, but I probably didn't pay it the attention it deserved.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

It’s section 6.6.5 (.1-.4) “presence” in observing the...
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Found it, thank you!

Return to “Bön”