Tibetan names

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
Karma Chyizom

Re: Tibetan names

Post by Karma Chyizom »

Here are the photos of my Refuge Card. Thank you so much for helping me decipher my Dharma name! :)
Attachments
17190961_10154511225983247_1289715050900106088_n.jpg
17190961_10154511225983247_1289715050900106088_n.jpg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 14829 times
17191518_10154511226423247_8314560367258692976_n.jpg
17191518_10154511226423247_8314560367258692976_n.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 14829 times
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Does that say Akong Tulku Rinpoche was the one who gave you the Refuge vows? You are most fortunate!

Happy to help. What little Tibetan I know is gladly shared, and what I don't makes for a lovely little treasure hunt that helps expand my vocabulary :ugeek:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Karma Chyizom

Post by Karma Chyizom »

Yes I took Refuge at Sayme Ling in Scotland so I got to meet him briefly. :)
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Can someone translate "Chomdenma" into Sanskrit and English please?

Thank you.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Konchog1 wrote:Can someone translate "Chomdenma" into Sanskrit and English please?

Thank you.
Most likely "Bhagavati" in Sanskrit.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Palzang Jangchub

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

kvmilek

Post by kvmilek »

I've recieved YUNGDRUNG TASHI name from Latri Nyima Dakpa Rinpoche, a Bonpo master. Rinpoche translated it as
YUNGDRUNG - Eternal Everlasting
TASHI - Auspiciousness.

The funny thing is that HH 2nd Beru Khyentse Rinpoche from Karma Kagyu gave me a refuge name KARMA TASHI DORJE where
KARMA is a Karma Kagyu school name
TASHI is tashi (explained above), and
DORJE is Vajrayana equivalent of Bonpo Yungdrung.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

dzoki wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:19 am CHABKHANG TSOGPO - dirty toilet
Perhaps having something to do with Virupa if this lama is a Sakyapa. Seems sacred to me(I get the idea that's not your actual name, but this name seems sacred)
:rolling:
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Kunga Dhondup
According to the Dalai Lama, it means:
"That which makes us all happy and can fulfill our wishes"
Unfortunately, I bring forth suffering and happiness to all :stirthepot:
valencio

Post by valencio »

Hello Everyone! Good wishes to everyone with great health and prosperity!

Apologies for reviving an old thread, I have just been given a name for taking refuge, could any seniors here please explain the meaning of my name?
ཀརྨ་ཤེས་རབ་མཁས་འགྲུབ(ཕོ) | 噶玛西然堪周
The mandarin words are the pronunciation of the name, however, I do not know the meaning of the name.

Thank you!
:namaste:
Palzang Jangchub

Karma = "activity, action," and is most likely there to represent that you took the vows with a preceptor in Karmapa's lineage, the Karma (Kamtsang) Kagyu.

Sherab is usually translated as "wisdom," not in the primordial sense (Yeshe/Vidya), but rather in the sense of discerning awareness, that which allows us to distinguish between things (Prajña). You may see this alternatively as "discriminating wisdom/awareness," but i tend to stay away from the term 'discriminating' because it has come to have a negative connotation due to racism, sexism, etc. We talk about being discriminated against due to factors of identity like skin color, ethnic background, gender, religion, and so forth. Not something I imagine pertains to buddha qualities.

Khedrub is a title usually reserved for the most highly accomplished scholar-practitioners, for instance Khedrub Karma Chagme or Khedrub Je (primary disciple of Je Tsongkhapa). It's literally a combo of the words "skillful, adept; scholar" (mkhas pa/po, roughly pandita) and "accomplished one" ('grub pa, siddha).

Not sure what that pho is doing there out by itself. Maybe you can take a pic of the refuge card to make it more clear? It's a male ending marker, but much less common than pa/po. Khedrub doesn't often come with gender assigned, as far as I've seen...

In the end we're left with something to the effect of "Activity of the Skillful One Accomplished in Wisdom" or "Wise Scholar-Saint of Karmapa's lineage."

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

My name is Karma Chonyi Zangpo.

Kevin...
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Virgo wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:57 pm My name is Karma Chonyi Zangpo.

Kevin...
Tashi delek V,

Karma means you are involved in the Karma Kagyud or Kagyud
Chönyi means Unobstructed True Nature
Zangpo means Good man

A Kagyudpa good person with an Unobstructed True Nature.
The best meditation is no meditation
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Kevin...
Tashi delek V,

Zangpo means Good man

Kalden,

I am just a young man doing many things, involved in many useless activities, all the time!

The less useful ,the better.

Kevin...
kalden yungdrung

Virgo wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Kevin...
Tashi delek V,

Zangpo means Good man

Kalden,

I am just a young man doing many things, involved in many useless activities, all the time!

The less useful ,the better.

Kevin...

Tashi delek K,

Your name can mean, that your name is the path / way how to achieve result in the Buddha Dharma.

For instance:
There are Kagyudpas who are named Karma Tsutrim Tharching by their Rinpoche.
Here it means that this Kagyudpa can attain result in the Buddha Dharma by applying perfect discipline.
Means also the person is not at all disciplined (has difficulties with self-discipline), but if he would apply discipline on the Path, then he can achieve huge results.

But sometimes the name can also have the meaning, that the person already obtained the realization of his/her name.

So its up to the person how to interpret the given name.
Its a case of self-knowledge.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:16 pm But sometimes the name can also have the meaning, that the person already obtained the realization of his/her name.

So its up to the person how to interpret the given name.
Its a case of self-knowledge.
Thank you, Mutsog. :smile:

Kevin...
valencio

Post by valencio »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:48 pm Karma = "activity, action," and is most likely there to represent that you took the vows with a preceptor in Karmapa's lineage, the Karma (Kamtsang) Kagyu.

Sherab is usually translated as "wisdom," not in the primordial sense (Yeshe/Vidya), but rather in the sense of discerning awareness, that which allows us to distinguish between things (Prajña). You may see this alternatively as "discriminating wisdom/awareness," but i tend to stay away from the term 'discriminating' because it has come to have a negative connotation due to racism, sexism, etc. We talk about being discriminated against due to factors of identity like skin color, ethnic background, gender, religion, and so forth. Not something I imagine pertains to buddha qualities.

Khedrub is a title usually reserved for the most highly accomplished scholar-practitioners, for instance Khedrub Karma Chagme or Khedrub Je (primary disciple of Je Tsongkhapa). It's literally a combo of the words "skillful, adept; scholar" (mkhas pa/po, roughly pandita) and "accomplished one" ('grub pa, siddha).

Not sure what that pho is doing there out by itself. Maybe you can take a pic of the refuge card to make it more clear? It's a male ending marker, but much less common than pa/po. Khedrub doesn't often come with gender assigned, as far as I've seen...

In the end we're left with something to the effect of "Activity of the Skillful One Accomplished in Wisdom" or "Wise Scholar-Saint of Karmapa's lineage."
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation 😊
I do not have a refuge card as my teacher came to Singapore for a brief period of time and can only stay for a few hours and needs to travel to other disciple's house. But it is alright now knowing the meaning of the name 😊
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:16 pm
Your name can mean, that your name is the path / way how to achieve result in the Buddha Dharma.
Mine is Yeshe Zopa........clearly as I lack both qualities and need to develop them! lol :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Angeles

Post by Angeles »

Hello, Please, will like to know the meaning of one Tibetan name: Tsultrim rabten.
kalden yungdrung

Angeles wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 am Hello, Please, will like to know the meaning of one Tibetan name: Tsultrim rabten.
Tashi delek A,

Rabten = Perfect Stable
Tsultrim = Discipline

- A person with a perfect stable discipline

With this mentality one can obtain success / emancipation in the Buddha Dharma.

Best wishes

Return to “Bön”