12 Deeds of Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
kalden yungdrung

12 Deeds of Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Bön has since 18000 years a Buddha called :" Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche ".

Buddha Tönpa Shenrabs Mantra for the 6 Realms of Existence:
Om Ma Tri Mu Ye Sa Le DU

One can compare this Mantra with :
Om Ma Ni Pe Me Hung

[attachment=0]Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche.jpg[/attachment]

Buddha Tönpa Shenrab did performed 12 Deeds:

Here follows brief summary of 12 deeds of Buddha Tönpa Shenrab. All the first lines are in Tibetan, as it appears in Bön texts.

1. rnam par bzhes pa'i mdzad pa (sku bltams pa)
The deed of the birth: the birth of Shenrab as the son of dMu King Thokar.

2. rnam par spel ba'i mdzad pa
The deed of dissemination: Disseminated the teachings of Bön.

3. rnam par 'dul ba'i mdzad pa
The deed of pacifying the hell beings and guiding them to follow the path of Boddhisattva.

4. rnam par 'dren pa'i mdzad pa
The deed of leading Guling mati, who was overwhelmed by desire, to the path of goddess.

5. rnam par nges pa'i mdzad pa
The deed of increasing wisdom by marriage and engaging in youthful play.

6. rnam par sprul pa'i mdzad pa
The deed of benefiting beings by emanating sons to solve people’s problem.

7. rnam par rgyal ba'i mdzad pa
The deed of leading to blissful path: Defeated Mara Khyapa’s soldiers.

8. rnam par 'joms pa'i mdzad pa
The deed of providing shelter: rescue all (nine men and three thousands soldiers) from their suffering.

9. rnam par rig pa'i mdzad pa
The deed of Preaching: preached 84000 Bön teachings.

10. rnam par grol ba'i mdzad pa
The deed of ascetic practice for nine years and engaged in habit of life of human, bird and monkey.

11. rnam par dben pa'i mdzad pa
The deed of becoming monk: Left all followers and property, and became monk.

12. rnam par grub pa'i mdzad pa
The deed of Accomplishment: Passing into blissful, to display the nature against those who believe as eternity.
Attachments
Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche.jpg
Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche.jpg (33.2 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
The best meditation is no meditation
kalden yungdrung

Re: 12 Deeds of Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche

Explanation of Mantra of Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche:

ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།

Om Ma Tri Mu Ye Sa Le Du

Om - is for Tonpa Shenrab who represents method and compassion.

Ma - is for Sherab Chamma who represents wisdom and vast space.

Tri- is for Mucho Demdrug who transforms anger and hatred by means of love and friendliness thus purifying the hell realm.

Mu - is for Sang wa Ngang Ring who transforms greed and desire by means of total generosity, thus purifying the realms of the pretas (hungry ghosts).

Ye - is for Tisang Rangzhi who transforms ignorance and confusion by means of total knowledge and wisdom thus purifying the animal realm.

Sa - is for Sangwa Duspa who transforms envy and jealousy by means of total expansion thus purifying the human realm.

Le - is for Chegyal Parti who transforms pride and arrogance by means of total peacefulness, thus purifying the realms of the Asuras of Titans (demigods).

Du - is for Yeshen Tsugphud who transforms indolence and self-absorption into diligence and vigor, thus purifying the God realm.

-------------------------------

Meaning:

Seen in this light and understanding these meanings, reciting this mantra is a way of helping all the beings of the 6 realms of existence.

Reciting this mantra invokes the guide Buddhas of the 6 realms and their sources,

Tönpa Shenrab and Sherab Chamma. Through their enlightened power, our negative emotions are dissolved and all the positive, pure, and virtuous qualities of love, generosity, wisdom, openness, peacefulness and compassion are invoked in us.

Reciting this mantra helps us to connect with and reinforce those qualities within ourselves. It is not necessary to know all the legends of the various realms to gain benefit from this great mantra, but it is important to make a connection within ourselves to the virtuous qualities held by these seed syllables and come to embody those qualities.
kalden yungdrung

Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche & 250 Buddhas.- 02.jpg
Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche & 250 Buddhas.- 02.jpg (257.33 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Mural and Texts from Deden Phuntsok Ling Gompa / Tarap /Dolpo / Nepal.
Deden Phuntsok Ling Gompa, was destroyed by fire earlier this month, 03-2016.

-----------------------

The history of Tarap Deden Phuntsok Ling

According to local oral history, this Bönpo gompa was founded by Lama Yungdrung Gyaltsen -(1662), when he moved Merbu Samten Ling monastery here. Lama Yungdrung Gyaltsen, was the 11th Menri Trizin Rinpoche.

The main devotional support here is a clay statue of Sangchok Gyalpo,which originally came from Merbu Samten Ling. The door of the main temple,is also said to have been brought from the old Merbu monastery. It is obviously ancient and is covered in ornate carvings.

The walls of the main temple are decorated, with countless images of the 4 Buddhas as well as paintings of peaceful and wrathful divinities:

- The Walse Ngampa cycle
- The Walphur Nagpo cycle
- The Takla Mebar cycle
- The Shenrab Nampar Gyalwa cycle
- The Sherab Jamma cycle
- The lineage masters
- A dark green Sridpi Gyalmo with one hundred heads and one thousand arms.

The paintings of the protectors are all very extensive, and looking at them closely one could see, that the artwork is very fine and detailed.
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

Here another story regarding Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche.

By:
Nina Maarit Reykjalin

I got this Black Bear Skin Drum some months ago. I haven't used it, because I waited something special to come along. Today, I painted this on it :)

=============

"Use of the drum in Bön practice originated in the time of the great master, Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche.

The first drum was called: "Nga Tong Ri Chempa".

On one occasion, Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche, transformed into Phurpa Duksay Chempa to subdue the demons who threatening his brother, Dasha Dril Wa.

During this powerful period of meditation and rituals, Tönpa Shenrab collected many different types of skin and used them to build a drum, continually invoking the very highest vibrational sound from the skin as he crafted the instrument. Since this ancient time, dancing with the drum has remained a very sacred ritual for building energy."

(Tibetan Bön Education Fund)
The attachment Bön Drum Nina - 01.jpg is no longer available
Bön Drum Nina - 01.jpg
Bön Drum Nina - 01.jpg (184.94 KiB) Viewed 2463 times
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

Buddha Tönpa Shenrab's Footprint.

Sacred object kept in a monastery associated with Buddha Tönpa Shenrab's physical existence and body, Nyingchi, Autonomious Province Tibet, South-Estern Tibet.
Attachments
Footprint Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche - 00.jpg
Footprint Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche - 00.jpg (78.14 KiB) Viewed 1747 times

Return to “Bön”