5 elements etc.

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

5 elements etc.

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:30 pm

In Vajrayana there is the correspondence of 5 colors to 5 poisons 5 wisdoms, 5 skandhas.

Does Bon also have this concept? I know there are no 5 Buddhas (does Bon use the skandhas model either?), but there are 5 Khandros, does this concept end up being similar in Bon? Feel free to PM if it's not something to be posted.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Lhasa

Re: 5 elements etc.

Post by Lhasa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:29 am

On the back of Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's book, Healing with Form, Energy and Light, it says this:

"In the shamanic world-view of Tibetan Bon, the five elements of earth, water, fire, air, and space are accessed through the raw powers of nature and through non-physical beings associated with the natural world. In the Tibetan tantric view, the elements are recognized as five kinds of energy in the body and are balanced with yogic movements, breathing exercises and visualizations. In the highest teachings, Dzogchen, the elements are understood to be the radiance of being and are accessed through pure awareness."

I'm not a scholar, so I can't really answer your question, just point to where there might be more information. There is also an online Five Elements course offered now and then on ligminchalearning.com, I've taken this, and it is excellent.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:47 am

Lhasa wrote:On the back of Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's book, Healing with Form, Energy and Light, it says this:

"In the shamanic world-view of Tibetan Bon, the five elements of earth, water, fire, air, and space are accessed through the raw powers of nature and through non-physical beings associated with the natural world. In the Tibetan tantric view, the elements are recognized as five kinds of energy in the body and are balanced with yogic movements, breathing exercises and visualizations. In the highest teachings, Dzogchen, the elements are understood to be the radiance of being and are accessed through pure awareness."

I'm not a scholar, so I can't really answer your question, just point to where there might be more information. There is also an online Five Elements course offered now and then on ligminchalearning.com, I've taken this, and it is excellent.

Way too broke atm lol, but it's on my list.:)
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:15 am

Ask about a scholarship, sometimes they have them. And do a google on "Notes from Healing with Form, Energy and Light.'" Someone did a pdf of some of the practices from the book. Might be helpful.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:16 am

Thanks man.

-Jeff H.

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:36 pm

The best meditation is no meditation

Return to “Bön”