1000 stars

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
Lung Tha

1000 stars

Post by Lung Tha » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Swaddee ka,

In Thailand, i have been to 1000 stars in Hua Hin. Thai queen visit opening 1000 stars and blessed, very good.
i like Tibetan bon very much but i dont understand teachings of it so deep. One thing i know is a liitle bit different between teachings from monks in Thai Wat. like study more bon heere.

What does difference between bon and teachings monks in Thai Wat. Bye

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_62cc3ece0100y7t3.html

kalden yungdrung

Re: 1000 stars

Post by kalden yungdrung » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Lung Tha wrote:Swaddee ka,

In Thailand, i have been to 1000 stars in Hua Hin. Thai queen visit opening 1000 stars and blessed, very good.
i like Tibetan bon very much but i dont understand teachings of it so deep. One thing i know is a liitle bit different between teachings from monks in Thai Wat. like study more bon heere.

What does difference between bon and teachings monks in Thai Wat. Bye

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_62cc3ece0100y7t3.html

Swaddee kap L, :namaste:

Thanks for posting here and i hope you will have a fruitful time here on DW.

If i understood it well, then your question is :" What is the difference between Bön Teachings and the Teachings from the Thai monks in the Thai Temple " ?

Similarities:
Well both Teachings stem from (their) Buddhas
Theravada / Hinayana and Bön have so their Sutras
Theravada /Hinayana and Bön have monks and follow Vinaya

Differences:
Bön teaches Tantra and Dzogchen which is not teached / known, in Theravada / Hinayana.
That makes Bön "different / deeper going", because of their Buddha or their Lineage and their Tantra and Dzogchen Teachings.

Hopes this helps.

Best wishes
KY.
The best meditation is no meditation

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 pm

The Thousand Stars Foundation website seems to have a few books translated into Thai. It has the Wallace translation of Shantideva's Bodhicaryavatara in Thai, which would be a good introduction to Mahayana Buddhism (and by proxy Bon).

– หนังสือ วิถีชีวิตของพระโพธิสัตว์ (โพธิจรฺยาวตาร)
ท่านศานติเทวะ
แปลจากภาษาสันสกฤตเป็นอังกฤษโดย เวสนา เอ วอลเลซ และ บี อลัน วอลเลซ
แปลจากภาษาอังกฤษเป็นไทยและเขียนบทนำโดย โสรัจจ์ หงศ์ลดารมภ์
สำนักพิมพ์มูลนิธิพันดารา
ราคา 100 บาท
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Lung Tha

Post by Lung Tha » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:26 am

Swaddee ka,
I understanding mahayan for understand bon.?Bye

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 am

I understanding mahayan for understand bon.? Bye
Yes, Bon has the Mahayana Bodhisattva aspiration, and the Mahayana understanding of emptiness which is different from the Theravadin idea of emptiness.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Lung Tha

Post by Lung Tha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Losal Samten wrote:
Yes, Bon has the Mahayana Bodhisattva aspiration, and the Mahayana understanding of emptiness which is different from the Theravadin idea of emptiness.

Sawaddee Kha,

I study about the different between Theravada and Mahayan. Theravada has no self or anatman of sentient being with body and mind.
The buddha say there no self.Mahayan say no self of body and mind and other matter. Mahayan does siexteen form emptines. Is that siexteen form emptines all exist in tibetan buddhist or not?

Khob khun kha,Bye

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Lung Tha wrote:I study about the different between Theravada and Mahayan. Theravada has no self or anatman of sentient being with body and mind.
The buddha say there no self.Mahayan say no self of body and mind and other matter. Mahayan does siexteen form emptines. Is that siexteen form emptines all exist in tibetan buddhist or not?
Yes, they accept the sixteen kinds of emptiness too.

As well as the difference in the emptiness of Theravada and Mahayana, the biggest difference is that buddhahood means something different in them.

In Theravada, they say the realisation of an arhat and the realisation of a buddha are the same, which is seeing that there is no self in the skandhas. But in Mahayana, buddhahood means gaining complete omniscience, meaning that a buddha knows the nature of all dharmas and the extent of all dharmas.

Additionally, in Mahayana buddhas have the three kayas, which are the dharmakaya, the sambhogakaya, and the nirmanakaya.

The dharmakaya is the omniscient mind of a buddha. The sambhogakaya is the body that has the dharmakaya, it never dies and can only be seen by bodhisattvas who have reached the 8th bhumi of realisation. The nirmanakaya are the bodies and forms that the sambhogakaya sends out to help ordinary people like us who cannot see the the sambhogakaya. Shakyamuni was a type of nirmanakaya.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:51 am

Lung Tha wrote:
Losal Samten wrote:

Sawaddee Kha,

I study about the different between Theravada and Mahayan. Theravada has no self or anatman of sentient being with body and mind.

Khob khun kha,Bye

Sawaddee Kha L,

If i understand you well, then you state that :

- In Theravada there, emptiness means that there is no self of body and Mind only
- In Mahayana , emptiness is here of the body and Mind but also of all external phenomenon and that would be embodied in the 16 forms of Emptiness

Then your question would be: " Is there in Tibetan Buddhism, no more explanation about what is Emptiness, than these 16 forms of Emptiness" ?

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:21 am

kalden yungdrung wrote: Swaddee kap L, :namaste:
Hi KY,

I just want to point out that if you are a male you should say Sawat dee krap. If you are female you should say Sawat dee kah.

Have a nice day.

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:57 am

Virgo wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote: Swaddee kap L, :namaste:
Hi KY,

I just want to point out that if you are a male you should say Sawat dee krap. If you are female you should say Sawat dee kah.

Have a nice day.

Kevin
You are right dear Virgo, Sawat dee kap is for males the greeting for hallo and Sawat dee ka is the greeting / hallo, for females.
I see you have been (maybe) in Thailand.

Mutsuk marro

Lung Tha

Post by Lung Tha » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:16 am

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Lung Tha wrote:
Losal Samten wrote: Yes, Bon has the Mahayana Bodhisattva aspiration, and the Mahayana understanding of emptiness which is different from the Theravadin idea of emptiness.

Sawaddee Kha,

Khob khun kha,Bye

Sawaddee Kha L,

- In Theravada there, emptiness means that there is no self of body and Mind only
- In Mahayana , emptiness is here of the body and Mind but also of all external phenomenon and that would be embodied in the 16 forms of Emptiness

Then your question would be: " Is there in Tibetan Buddhism, no more explanation about what is Emptiness, than these 16 forms of Emptiness" ?
Sawaddee Kha Ky,
You right

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 am

kalden yungdrung wrote: You are right dear Virgo, Sawat dee kap is for males the greeting for hallo and Sawat dee ka is the greeting / hallo, for females.
I see you have been (maybe) in Thailand.

Mutsuk marro
Hi KY :namaste:

Sawat dee krap. Sabai dee mai krap?

Yes, I lived there for a few months.

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:21 pm

Lung Tha wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Lung Tha wrote:

Sawaddee Kha,

Khob khun kha,Bye

Sawaddee Kha L,

Sawaddee Kha Ky,
You right
Sawaddee Khap L,

How is live?

Besides the 16 form of emptiness, we have in the Dzogchen (highest teaching in Bön), also the awareness of emptiness, but that is i guess for you may be difficult to understand.

That awareness of emptiness is not done with the methods of Vipassana and Samatha or with consciousness.
Nevertheless are Vipassana and Samatha very useful as a preliminary practice to Dzogchen

- Are you familiar with Vipassana and Samatha meditation?

Mutsuk Marro
KY

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Here some further information, about the 1000 Stars Foundation in Hua Hin / Thailand.
Hua Hin is the residential place of the Royal Thai Family.

1000 Stars Foundation, is a non-profit organization and was blessed by the sister of the Thai Queen Sirikit. That means that Tibetan Buddhism is fully accepted and protected in Thailand. :twothumbsup:

The Foundation is non-sectarian and venerates Guru Rinpoche as well Bön Drenpa Namkha and Bön divinities.
They are very devoted to the Kundrol Lineage.
Thailand and Bhutan are the only countries with a Dharma King and that is a special thing in the world of Buddhism.

https://krisadawan.wordpress.com/spirit ... raditions/
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... foundation

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:22 am

Meu Yönten Tongdrol - 00.jpg
Meu Yönten Tongdrol - 00.jpg (164.16 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Meu Yöntan Tongdrol (Expert of Bön Buddhism and the Tibetan Language and Culture)

Mr. Meu Yöntan Tongdrol

Has studied with:

- Menri Yongdzin Rinpoche (Yongs 'dzin bjod pa rgyal mtshan Rinpoche)
- Tshulchen Rinpoche (Tshul chen theg mchog bstan pa;i nyi ma Rinpoche)
- Triwa Rinpoche (Khriba Rinpoche) at Tokden Monastery, Aba County, Aba Qiang and Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China, and with other important lamas form various traditions for 27 years.

In 1998-2000, he became the editor of the Tokden Monastery's journal Gang ri'i 'od zer (Radiance of the Snow Mountain) and newspaper Dung gi sgra dbyangs (Conch Melody).

In 1999, he studied at a teacher's college in Barkham county, Sichuan Province.

In 2000-2005, he studied Chinese and English and taught Amdo Tidetan to foreign students from various countries at the Southwest Institute for Nationalities in Chengdu, Sichuan Province.

From 2003-2007, he became the main assistant to the project Eastern Tibet: Language, Ethnohistory and Ethnic Identity led by Dr. Krisadawan Hongladarom and funded by the Thailand Research Fund.

Presently, Mr. Yöntan serves as a Tibetan coordinator, translator and researcher for the 1000 Stars Foundation. He is conducting research on the Bönpo lineage of Dzogchen and is compiling a Dzogchen dictionary (an ongoing project from 2005).

Personal Blog: http://meuyontan.blogspot.com
Email: meuyontan@gmail.com

Return to “Bön”