What is Bon Shamanism

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 16874
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by Grigoris » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Off topic posts split to here.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
kalden yungdrung
Posts: 3160
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sat May 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Tashi delek,

Here a very rare photo of an obstacle ritual performed by a Bönpo (Shaman).

==============
By:

Nyima Drugdag Rokaya a Menri Geshe.


Question:
Is this Lhalu Chilu?

Geshe Nyima Drugdag Rokaya:
no, it's a kind of removal of obstacle ritual
Shaman ritual - 00.jpg
Shaman ritual - 00.jpg (362.69 KiB) Viewed 297 times
The best meditation is no meditation

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by Mantrik » Sat May 05, 2018 8:30 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:56 pm
Tashi delek,

Here a very rare photo of an obstacle ritual performed by a Bönpo (Shaman).

==============
By:

Nyima Drugdag Rokaya a Menri Geshe.


Question:
Is this Lhalu Chilu?

Geshe Nyima Drugdag Rokaya:
no, it's a kind of removal of obstacle ritual

Shaman ritual - 00.jpg
With a Nepali khukuri. :)
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
kalden yungdrung
Posts: 3160
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by kalden yungdrung » Wed May 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Tashi delek,

Alexander is a Russian Bönpo and he likes Shamanism somehow.
In Tuva there are a lot of Shamans who know their practice of rituals very well.

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Tuva,+ ... authuser=0
========================



By:
Alexander Hosmo


He returned from the field of force in Mongolia.

Met with a very wise shaman (his name will leave behind the scenes). On the day of the first sermon of the Buddha performed the rite of "Kamlaniâ", at one of the sacred places of Tuva.

Earlier, I often attended Tibetan rituals, but for the first time I saw a real and efficient ritual! My bows to the white sky.
Shaman ritual - 05.jpg
Shaman ritual - 05.jpg (230.29 KiB) Viewed 247 times
The best meditation is no meditation

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by Mantrik » Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:30 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:56 pm
Tashi delek,

Here a very rare photo of an obstacle ritual performed by a Bönpo (Shaman).

==============
By:

Nyima Drugdag Rokaya a Menri Geshe.


Question:
Is this Lhalu Chilu?

Geshe Nyima Drugdag Rokaya:
no, it's a kind of removal of obstacle ritual

Shaman ritual - 00.jpg
With a Nepali khukuri. :)
I asked Nepali shamans - this is very much their form, the khukuri, etc. .
Why would a Russian use Nepali shamanism and call it Bonpo?

So, it turns out he isn't a Bonpo Shaman but a Russian Bonpo who has met Tuva shamans. You realise how misleading your post was?

Please indicate which lineage he follows and who taught him this ritual which you call Bonpo........I know Mongolian Darkhad elders, Nepali shamans and others from other cultures etc. so it would be really interesting to check it out.
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
kalden yungdrung
Posts: 3160
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by kalden yungdrung » Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm

IN ADDITION:

Tashi delek,

Lama la Rokaya is an experienced Shaman in the Bön Tradition of the 3 lower ways. ( Trulshen thegpa )
He can do the ritual for us Bönpos and he is not asking money for that.
Only the costs for barley, rice and some other small things has to be paid, e.g. the basic costs.

He is clairvoyant and could tell me who is my family and where they come from and also he knew my future intentions.

Also Lama la can do the Mo and astrological calculations.
The 34th Menri Trizin Rinpoche is a good friend of Lama la, he told me. :anjali:

Lama la is teached by the Menri Monks.
lama La wears the Bön Tantric Hat.


viewtopic.php?f=78&t=26441

Sometimes he does not feel himself so well, this practice cost a lot of energy (health).

==============================

Question:
By Ken

This is an interesting dish. What is this ?

Lama la Rokaya
That is the image of one's La-soul at the time of recalling the degration of Soul
La - 00.jpg
La - 00.jpg (130.51 KiB) Viewed 214 times
The best meditation is no meditation

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by Mantrik » Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm
IN ADDITION:

Tashi delek,

Lama la Rokaya is an experienced Shaman in the Bön Tradition of the 3 lower ways. ( Trulshen thegpa )
He can do the ritual for us Bönpos and he is not asking money for that.
Only the costs for barley, rice and some other small things has to be paid, e.g. the basic costs.

He is clairvoyant and could tell me who is my family and where they come from and also he knew my future intentions.

Also Lama la can do the Mo and astrological calculations.
The 34th Menri Trizin Rinpoche is a good friend of Lama la, he told me. :anjali:

Lama la is teached by the Menri Monks.
lama La wears the Bön Tantric Hat.


viewtopic.php?f=78&t=26441

Sometimes he does not feel himself so well, this practice cost a lot of energy (health).

==============================

Question:
By Ken

This is an interesting dish. What is this ?

Lama la Rokaya
That is the image of one's La-soul at the time of recalling the degration of Soul

La - 00.jpg

I think when you described that he is a Bonpo who 'likes Shamanism somehow' it may be closer.
Lama, Lhapa, Pawo or Ngakpa - I respect them all, but this looks muddled.
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Summers
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by Summers » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:05 am

Mantrik wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 pm
I think when you described that he is a Bonpo who 'likes Shamanism somehow' it may be closer.
Lama, Lhapa, Pawo or Ngakpa - I respect them all, but this looks muddled.
The Nepalese shamans of the sherpa, tamangs, etc., who all originate from Tibet, are the old Bönpo like those of pre-Buddhist Tibet.

I don't know this Lama, but it's possible he is from a Nepalese family, or he studied with Nepalese Bombo. IRC some Tibetan Bönpo do accept the shamans as being Bön, either the pre-Tonpa Shenrab type, or the post-Tonpa shen vehicle Kalden mentioned.

Summers
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by Summers » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm

I would like to see this conversation continue as I think this is interesting, especially for Bönpo considering these two groups (jhankris and Yungdrung Bönpo) go by the same name and share many dieties and we can expect in the future to see more Nepalese jhankris whose religion is Yungdrung Bön and incorporate those elements in the same way many today are Tibetan Buddhists or Hindus. Is it breaking vows, refuge, etc. for someone to be a jhankri? Personally I think it's okay because being a shaman is not a choice.

Post Reply

Return to “Bön”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests