THE CANON OF THE BÖN

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
kalden yungdrung

THE CANON OF THE BÖN

Post by kalden yungdrung »

PER KVAERNE - 00.jpg
PER KVAERNE - 00.jpg (24.2 KiB) Viewed 2583 times

THE CANON OF THE TIBETAN BÖNPOS
by
PER KVAERNE
Bergen

PART TWO: INDEX OF THE CANON

Introductory Note

The title of each work is given as found in KTDG, except in a few cases where the title in KTDG is simply a description of the contents, and the text in question has been available for inspection.
An asterisc signifies that the text has been published or is to be found in a private or public collection. 1 Below each title, a reference letter and number indicates the origin or authorship of the text; the reader is referred to the Indexes of Part I where further information will be found.

If the reference number is in italics (e.g. B 1), this means that the person in question is explicitly mentioned in KTDG; if italics are not used, the origin or author of the text in question has been mentioned elsewhere (i.e., in L~J),

As KTDG normally mentions the gter-ston and/or the place of discovery BEFORE the title of a given text, it is often difficult, in those cases where several titles are listed one after the other, to determine which texts in fact belong to the Treasure or author in question, and which titles
- if any - are simply given without reference to origin being intended.

In some such cases, L~J has been of help; elsewhere, I have simply had to make a guess and hope that future research may provide the necessary corrections.
======
1 As I have not at the present moment been able to make a systematic survey of texts
in the possession of Bonpo monks and laymen in India and Nepal, it may be taken for
granted that the actual number of texts preserved is considerably greater than the
following Index would seem to suggest.

http://vajrayana.faithweb.com/canon-of-bonpo.pdf
The best meditation is no meditation
kalden yungdrung

Re: THE CANON OF THE BÖN

Tashi delek,

With the help of Gene Smith, the Bön Canon could be digitized , and saved on a single joy stick. :twothumbsup:
Tashi Menri Monastery has now the whole Canon in one hand (see clip).

Gene Smith solved one of the main missions of the late Gyalwa Menri Trizin Lungtok Tenpa Nyima
Rinpoche.

Mutsuk Marro
KY.

===================

kalden yungdrung

IN ADDITION:
The 7th Kundrol Rinpoche and Mongyal Lhasay Rinpoche.jpg
The 7th Kundrol Rinpoche and Mongyal Lhasay Rinpoche.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
The Yungdrung Bön Kanjur was scanned and digitized in 2006 by monks at Menri Monastery's Tibetan Yungdrung Bön Library at the request of H. H. Menri Trizin 33rd.
Gene Smith helped also here with technical support.

It consists of a collection of canonical texts authored by Bön's founder Tönpa Shenrab and revealed by his students and embodiments.

Bön Kanjur texts were originally translated from ancient sources, probably in the Zhang Zhung language and have gone through various terma or "revelations." During the 18th century the lama Kundrol Drakpa [b. 1700], a teacher of the Tibetan princes of the Gyalrong province, received funding and support from various of his patrons to gather and catalog the many volumes of Bön Kanjur texts and to produce woodblocks of the complete set.

Over the next 2 centuries, copies of the texts from Kundrol's woodblock set were broken up, destroyed, or hidden, and it was thought that no complete version existed. In 1999, however, Mongyal Lhasay, a lama from the Mongyal Monastery in Kham and from the family lineage of Kundrol Drakpa, was able to collect and publish a complete handwritten set in Chengdu. It is that set on which is preserved on compact disks the entire 179 volumes.

The Tibetan Yundrung Bön Library's digitized version of the Yungdrung Bön Kanjur would not have been possible without the extensive effort and commitment of Mongyal Lhasay.

The Tibetan Yungdrung Bön Library Scanning Project was made possible by a generous grant from the Reed Foundation. All proceeds from this project go to support the Tibetan Yungdrung Bön Library.

http://www.bonfoundation.org/bongoods.html
kalden yungdrung

IN ADDITION:

Kundrol Dragpa Rinpoche played an important role in the saving /reprinting of the Bön canon.

======================

By Samten Karmay:

The Catalogue of Kun-grol grags-pa Kun-grol grags-pa (b.1700) was born in the region of rDza in Khams (Southeastern Tibet) and in his later life he
flourished as the prelate of the kings of rGyal-rong, especially those of Khroskyabs and Chu-chen principalities (also Southeastern Tibet).

Kun-dga’ nor-bu, the king of Khroskyabs, had a manuscript set of the canon made that consists of 281 volumes.

It was placed in his palace called Drug-zur rnam-rgyal-rdzong. Urged by the king, Kun-grol grags-pa in 1751 compiled a catalogue of the manuscript
set in the palace of the king of Rabtan in Chu-chen, known as rnam-par rgyal-ba’i rdzong.

The catalogue is entitled Zab dang rgya che g.yung drung bon gyi bka’ ‘gyur gyi dkar chag nyi ma ‘bum gyi ‘od zer.

It was under Kun-grol grags-pa’s guidance then that the kings of Khro-skyabs and Chu-chen had simultaneously undertaken to carve the woodblocks of the Bönpo canon in the 18th century.

Aided by a number of assistants he edited the texts and supervised the whole enterprise of preparing the woodblocks. In 1766 he wrote an account entitled Par gyi dkar chag srid pa’i sgron me that describes how the woodblocks for a certain part of the canon were made.

He is thought to have died that same year. Whether the carving of woodblocks for all the texts that he has listed in his catalogue was completed before 1766 remains uncertain, because bSod-nams dbang-’dus, the king of Rab-brtan of the Chu-chen principality, was at war against the
Manchus for a number of years prior to 1766. He finally lost the war in that year, but Kun-dga’ nor-bu, the king of Khro-skyabs, had continued the carving of his own woodblocks in spite of the decree issued by the Manchu Emperor Qianlong forbidding the practice of the Bön religion in rGyal-rong.
Kun-grol gras-pa’s catalogue was the most detailed inventory of the canon that had ever been made. Not content to give just the titles of texts, he also provides all the chapter headings of all works that he has listed. This catalogue was published in Beijing in 1993 under the title of g.Yung drung bon gyi bka’ ‘gyur dkar chag.

The woodblocks of the canon were completely destroyed during the Cultural Revolution.
kalden yungdrung

IN ADDITION:

g.Yung-drung tshul-khrims dbang-grags As well the Kundrol Rinpoche (1700), palyed an important role in saving /reprinting the Bön canon.

=============

By Samten Karmay:

The Catalogue of g.Yung-drung tshul-khrims dbang-grags.

g.Yung-drung tshul-khrims dbanggrags was a disciple of sNang-ston Zlaba rgyal-mtshan (b.1796) and was a native of the Khyung-po province in
Khams. He was one of the founders of the monastery known as Khyung-po sTeng-chen.

His catalogue is entitled rGyal ba’i bka’ dang bka’ rten rmad ‘byung dgos ‘dod yid bzhin gter gyi bang mdzod la dkar chags (chag) la blo’i tha
ram bkrol (dkrol) byed ‘phrul gyi lde mig.

This catalogue is included in Sog-sde bsTan-pa’i nyi-ma’s edition (vol. 234). It is the catalogue of the manuscript set of the canon that was kept in the
monastery. He began to compile it in 1876 and completed it in 1880. In this he closely followed the example of the catalogue by Kun-grol grags-pa in giving all the details including chapter headings. However, there is an innovation in his work. Unlike his predecessors he has numbered all the title
entries, though only section by sectionand not as a whole. During the Cultural Revolution this monastery was destroyed as was its library.

==========================
Dr Samten Karmay is former Research Director at the CNRS, Paris. He has published extensively on the Dzogchen philosophy in Tibetan Buddhism
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

This is fantastic, but Bonpos (and Chospas) should remain aware that in the future, a ready supply of electricity may not be as available as it is now, and should also print as many low-tech copies for distribution as possible.
kalden yungdrung

tingdzin wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:45 pm This is fantastic, but Bonpos (and Chospas) should remain aware that in the future, a ready supply of electricity may not be as available as it is now, and should also print as many low-tech copies for distribution as possible.
SD cards maybe ?
Have my whole library on a 64 GB SD card, used 40%.
Will scan all my books too, but that are not so many anymore, because the most i could get via the web from friends.
Gave away also 80% of my books,because have them already in PDF.
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

HE 7 th Kundrol Namkha Thinley Wangyal, is non sectarian like prophesied.

============
By:
J. Huang

HE 7 th Kundrol Namkha Thinley Wangyal delivered the Bön Kanjur and Tenjur to HE 12 th Kenting Tai Situpa Rinpoche Palpung Sherabling Monastic seat in Bir , Himachal Pardesh / Nothern India, in April 2017.

The attachment HE 7 th Kundrol Namkha Thinley Wangyal - 027.jpg is no longer available
HE 7 th Kundrol Namkha Thinley Wangyal - 027.jpg
HE 7 th Kundrol Namkha Thinley Wangyal - 027.jpg (132.44 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
kalden yungdrung

HE 7 th Kundrol Namkha Thinley Wangyal - 022.jpg
HE 7 th Kundrol Namkha Thinley Wangyal - 022.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 2190 times

HE 7 th Kundrol Namkha Thinley Wangyal and HE 12 th Kenting Tai Situpa Rinpoche @ Palpung Sherabling Monastery.

Return to “Bön”