Bön equivalent to Chinnamunda?

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
Varis

Bön equivalent to Chinnamunda?

Post by Varis »

Does anyone know if the Bön tradition has an equivalent deity to Chinnamunda?

Thanks.
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
kalden yungdrung

Re: Bön equivalent to Chinnamunda?

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Varis wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 am Does anyone know if the Bön tradition has an equivalent deity to Chinnamunda?

Thanks.
Tashi delek V,

Chinnamunda would be Vajravarahi / Dorje Phagmo / Vajrayogini , Cakrasaṃvara / Khorlo Déchok Tantra.

Dakinis we have enough in Bön, but which one is an equivalent deity to Chinnamunda i don´t know at the moment. Sure there must be a similar Dakini somewhere in Bön.........

- But by the way why is this so important for you to know ?

Mutsuk Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Varis

Post by Varis »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:27 am - But by the way why is this so important for you to know ?
I am just interested in Chinnamunda, and deities like her. She's very special and beautiful to me, hence the interest.

While I still have you here, if you don't mind me asking, what's the relation between lungta in it's presentation in Bön and shamanic traditions? Do Bönpos use lungta practices to travel to the heavens, speak with spirits in nature, etc.?
kalden yungdrung

Varis wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:10 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:27 am - But by the way why is this so important for you to know ?
I am just interested in Chinnamunda, and deities like her. She's very special and beautiful to me, hence the interest.

While I still have you here, if you don't mind me asking, what's the relation between lungta in it's presentation in Bön and shamanic traditions? Do Bönpos use lungta practices to travel to the heavens, speak with spirits in nature, etc.?
Tashi delek V,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes Vajravahari and Vajrayogini are nice. Have also practiced them some time ago.
Practised the Chakrasamvara / Korlo Demchog Tantra once.

We have explained already this topic somewhere here aboard:
viewtopic.php?t=23713

Long time ago, Bön used only the 5 colors of the elements and the 4 animals / the dgra lha, on their prayer flags.

- In the east is a lion / white / having locks of turquoise
- In the south a turquoise colored dragon with a hump of copper
- In the west a spotted tiger
- In the north a Kyung with a jewel in his hand.

Each of these 4 is called a Rlung rta dar ba´i dgra lha. These 4 animals that is then really Bön / shamanistic.

The literal meaning of lungta is windhorse.
Lungta refers to each individual’s positive force of good fortune and luck. Due to causes and conditions, this force can be increased or become weakened. An example of someone with strong lungta is a person who seems to succeed effortlessly at whatever they do, the kind of person who is always at the right place at the right time. For this person, their lungta is very high.

There are many ways to strengthen and raise one’s lungta.
- One method is to hang prayer flags.
- Another is to go to a high, open place and to toss ‘lungta papers’ into the air.

Mutsuk Marro
KY.
Varis

Post by Varis »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:51 am We have explained already this topic somewhere here aboard:
viewtopic.php?t=23713

Long time ago, Bön used only the 5 colors of the elements and the 4 animals / the dgra lha, on their prayer flags.

Each of these 4 is called a Rlung rta dar ba´i dgra lha. These 4 animals that is then really Bön / shamanistic.

Lungta refers to each individual’s positive force of good fortune and luck. Due to causes and conditions, this force can be increased or become weakened. An example of someone with strong lungta is a person who seems to succeed effortlessly at whatever they do, the kind of person who is always at the right place at the right time. For this person, their lungta is very high.

- Another is to go to a high, open place and to toss ‘lungta papers’ into the air.

Mutsuk Marro
KY.
Sorry, I think I've asked about the wrong thing. What I meant to ask was if the Yungdrung Bön tradition still has certain shamanistic practices of the past. I know you wrote before about the lower vehicles of Bön that involve practices for making offerings to the Gods, etc. but I was curious if these practices include things like out-of-body journeys to visit the heavens or speak to the spirits that shamans engage in, and whether or not Bönpo still practice them. In particular I'd also like to ask about the sort of drumming practices seen among shamans, I've see videos of Bönpos using those traditional shaman drums with the kilaya at the bottom that Himalayan Bönpo shamans also use (Dhyāngro I believe they're called?), are these used to summon spirits, heal, etc. in the way shamans do?

Thank you.
kalden yungdrung

Varis wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:48 am
kalden yungdrung wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:51 am We have explained already this topic somewhere here aboard:
viewtopic.php?t=23713

Mutsuk Marro
KY.
Sorry, I think I've asked about the wrong thing. What I meant to ask was if the Yungdrung Bön tradition still has certain shamanistic practices of the past. I know you wrote before about the lower vehicles of Bön that involve practices for making offerings to the Gods, etc. but I was curious if these practices include things like out-of-body journeys to visit the heavens or speak to the spirits that shamans engage in, and whether or not Bönpo still practice them. In particular I'd also like to ask about the sort of drumming practices seen among shamans, I've see videos of Bönpos using those traditional shaman drums with the kilaya at the bottom that Himalayan Bönpo shamans also use (Dhyāngro I believe they're called?), are these used to summon spirits, heal, etc. in the way shamans do?

Thank you.

Tashi delek V.

Please look here:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=27107
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:27 am
Varis wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 am Does anyone know if the Bön tradition has an equivalent deity to Chinnamunda?

Thanks.
Tashi delek V,

Chinnamunda would be Vajravarahi / Dorje Phagmo / Vajrayogini , Cakrasaṃvara / Khorlo Déchok Tantra.

Dakinis we have enough in Bön, but which one is an equivalent deity to Chinnamunda i don´t know at the moment. Sure there must be a similar Dakini somewhere in Bön.........

- But by the way why is this so important for you to know ?

Mutsuk Marro
KY
Any dakini similar to Saraswati? Or Bön doesn't have that? Just curious as I found a Bönpo version of Manjushri.
kalden yungdrung

Tenma Wrote:
Any dakini similar to Saraswati? Or Bön doesn't have that? Just curious as I found a Bönpo version of Manjushri.

Tashi delek T,

I would go here for Sherab Chamma.
Remarkable would be that the names are different but the meaning is quite similar.

Tenma

Post by Tenma »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:47 pm
Tenma Wrote:

Tashi delek T,

Remarkable would be that the names are different but the meaning is quite similar.

How? How is Sherab Chamma associated with creativity, the arts, wisdom, music, and knowledge(or at least of these)? It thought Sherab Chamma was more towards Tara or Prajnaparamita?
kalden yungdrung

Tenma wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:54 am
kalden yungdrung wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:47 pm
Tenma Wrote:

Tashi delek T,

How? How is Sherab Chamma associated with creativity, the arts, wisdom, music, and knowledge(or at least of these)? It thought Sherab Chamma was more towards Tara or Prajnaparamita?
Sherab kyi lha / Wisdom deities:
Saraswati is also known for her Wisdom aspect.
Prajnamaramita is also known for her Wisdom aspect
Sherab Chamma is also known for her Wisdom aspect
Tara is also known for her Wisdom aspect.

The most known male Wisdom deity is Manjushri.

Return to “Bön”