Bön Cosmology/creation story

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Bön Cosmology/creation story

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I've heard a bit about it, with Sangpo Bumtri etc., my question is how it works with the creation of Samsara, and what Sangpo Bumtri's relation is with Samsara, if any, since he is one of the Four Transcendent Lords, but apparently also a creator god?

I also have yet to see any actual text on the subject, can someone recommend one?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
kalden yungdrung

Re: Bön Cosmology/creation story

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:16 pm I've heard a bit about it, with Sangpo Bumtri etc., my question is how it works with the creation of Samsara, and what Sangpo Bumtri's relation is with Samsara, if any, since he is one of the Four Transcendent Lords, but apparently also a creator god?

I also have yet to see any actual text on the subject, can someone recommend one?
Tashi delek,

Below an explanation by Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche:
Drung Deu and Bön
ISBN: 81-85102-93-7

Below a part of the story.

================================

THE MYTH:1 OF THE COSMIC EGG: THE ORIGIN OF EXISTENCE:

The myth of the origin of existence (srid pa'i grol phug) is narrated in detail in the above-mentioned Treasury of the Origin of Existence (Srid pa'i
mdzod phug) and in Drenpa Namkha's comment~. It describes two 'cosmic eggs' (srid pa'i sgong nga), one luminous and the other dark, which give rise, respectively, to the dimensions of being and non being, of light and of darkness.

Here is a summary:5 In the beginning in the dimension of empty space, thanks to the power of Trigyel Khugpa6 there formed the winds (the air element) tsentin, whose nature was to retain and not allow to disperse, nentin, whose substance had the characteristic to support and not allow to fall, and trinni which had a screen of heat?

The movement of the winds produced a vortex of light that whirled vigorously from whose energy heat was emitted, and (the element) fire was formed.

Then from the cold vapour of the_ wind that supported and from the heat of the fire (the element) water was formed as dew and rime, on which minute particles of matter (rdul phra rab: the earth element) condensed. These particles, shaken and blended by the wind whirling swiftly in space,
formed the earth and the mountains.

From the essence of the five elements (thus formed) there came into being two eggs, an egg of light ('ad
kyi sgong nga) and an egg of darkness (mun pa'i sgong nga).

Due to the power of the aspiration vow of the deity (Trigyel Khugpa) from the pure
essence of the five elements the egg of light formed, with four fates and eight corners, the size of a seven-year-old female yak (grus ma). From the
impure essence, and due to the .aspiration vow of Medbum Nagpo (Infinite Black Non Being)8 the egg of darkness formed, with three corners
and as big as a three-year-old bull (shad) lying down.

The luminous egg hatched by the force of its own light and its own rays, and from the clear light that spread in space were born the three
hundred and sixty Thorse ('thor gsas: Scattered Deities), men of light who took on the task of protecting virtuous actions.
From the rays that gushed downwards were born the Dase (mda' gsas: Arrow Deities), ten thousand men with one hundred thousand horses who took on the task of sustaining heroism in deities and men.

From the inner ~ssence of the egg was born the emanation of Trigyel Khugpa called Sidpa Sangpo Bumtri, a divine manifestation in human form, a white man with seven turquoise ~ plaits down to his armpits. He is the king of existence, of plenitude, of the
good (dkar: literally, 'white') and of virtue.

The black egg hatched in the dimension of black darkness, and from the black light that was emitted upwards were born darkness, obfuscation
(thibs) and obscuration (rmugs). From the rays that spread falling downwards were born madness, obfuscation and obscuration. From the inner
essence of the egg was born a man of black light with his hair tied in three big plaits. Medbum Nagpo gave him the name Munpa Serden
(Radiant Black Darkness). He is a king .who likes to annihilate and to empty, to interrupt and to destroy.
Last edited by kalden yungdrung on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best meditation is no meditation
kalden yungdrung

Well make the story a little completer.

iii THE EIGHTEEN FOREBEARS OF MANKIND

The myth continues by recounting'how the 'Eighteen Brothers and Sisters, Ancestors of Mankind' were born from Sidpa Sangpo Bumtri's
union with Chuchag Gyelmo, a woman miraculously born from an 'egg of blue light': The blue lake was stirred by the wind and a bubble the size
of a tent was formed, from which was born an egg of blue light. When the egg hatched a blue woman appeared with her hair tied in seven plaits
that reached her armpits. Sangpo Bumtri gave her the name Kopa Chuchag Gyelmo. They then lay together, and from their union were born
eighteen brothers and sisters, the 'Nine Primordial Males' (srid pa pho dgu) and the 'Nine Primordial Females' (srid pa mo dgu). 10 ·

The 9 males were:
1. White Lord that Controls Existence (Srid rje 'brang dkar);
2. Lord of Order with a White Staff (sKos rje drang dkar);
3. Lord of the Cha Dressed in White (Phywa rje ring dkar); 11
4. Powerful Narrator of the Divine Genealogies (lHa rabs gnyan rum rje);
5. Awakened Lord of the Mu (Thurn thum rnal med rje); .
6. Lord that Governf the Atmosphere (sKyin dang ngar gyi rje);
7. Miraculous King of Primordial Knowledge (Ye mkhyen 'phrul gyi rgyal);
8. Lord of the Hundred Thousand Protector Deities of the Earth (Sa lha
mgon 'bum rje);
9. Lord of Plants and of the Cycle of Existence (lion phyug 'khor ba rje).

The 9 females were:
1. Ancestress Queen of the Sky (gNam phyi gung rgyal);
2. White Menmo of the Sky (gNam srnan dkar mo);
3. Woman Who Does Not Talk (sMra ste mi mkhan rna mo);
4. Female Tiger (Za rna stag mo);
5. She who Develops and Strengthens (Shed za na rna);
6. Sharp Flaming Point (dBal so rnon mo);
7. She who Rides a Deer and Protects Livestock (Ya sha phyug mo);
8. Queen of the Cha and of Longevity (Phywa thse'i rgyal mo);
9. White Goddess (lHa mo dkar mo).

The varioos human races and generations then descended from each of these eighteen ancestors, as described in Drenpa Namkha's commentary.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Thanks KY! How is this story integrated with Dzogchen cosmology and view, if at all?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
kalden yungdrung

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:57 pm Thanks KY! How is this story integrated with Dzogchen cosmology and view, if at all?
Guess Dzogchen is free of dualisms and emptiness encompasses all, Nature is every where and creates everything.
We know the 5 elements emanating in many forms, Wisdoms, elements, etc.

Guess the creation needs mind and mind is there always in how far we have Nature and Nature is everywhere.

Return to “Bön”