Bonpo Tibetan 'Qi Dao' ?

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Bonpo Tibetan 'Qi Dao' ?

Post by Mantrik » Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Someone posted about their Lama on Facebook. Not sure I can quite believe this one.
Anyone come across it? Any connection at all to Tibet or Bonpo?

https://qidao.wordpress.com/intro/about/

''Lama Somananda Tantrapa is the holder of the lineage of Qi Dao that has been fostered in his clan for 27 generations since 1224 AD. He has over 30 years of experience in Qi Dao and other internal martial arts. He was primarily trained by his Grandfather who was the last Grandmaster of this style of Tibetan Shamanic Qigong. In addition to being recognized as an incarnate Bön lama, ordained as a Buddhist monk and initiated into Subud spiritual brotherhood, Lama Tantrapa holds a degree in Cultural Anthropology and certifications in Qigong, Hypnosis and NLP.''

Wow! ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Sādhaka

Re: Bonpo Tibetan 'Qi Dao' ?

Post by Sādhaka » Tue May 07, 2019 8:24 pm

🧐

Seems legit 🧙🏻‍♂️🤹🏻‍♂️ :ugeek:

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Sādhaka wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:24 pm
🧐

Seems legit 🧙🏻‍♂️🤹🏻‍♂️
Yes, he looks Tibetan and clearly has an authentic Tibetan name, so up there with Steven Seagull, maybe? :)

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Tue May 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Well from what I understand, like him or not Steven Segall has at least some legitimacy.

This other guy though....

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 pm

Tantrapa... seriously. He did not even try google.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 pm

Sādhaka wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:01 pm
Well from what I understand, like him or not Steven Segall has at least some legitimacy.

This other guy though....

But. but, he has videos of awesome martial arts where he..........talks :

Yes, Seagal is a legit 7th Dan in Aikido and I have great respect for his martial arts, as an Aikidoka myself.
The 'tulku' aspect and dealings with women, well........... not.

I've seen a video of a Lama doing awful 'Ki' Aikido stuff, but as far as I am aware there is no 'internal martial arts' specifically Tibetan. I'm hoping a Bonpo can answer my question about the lineage claims.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue May 07, 2019 10:26 pm

There's a Tibetan version of White Crane. I think it's called Lama Pai, IIRC the origins of it are somewhat disputable, but that's true of many martial arts.
Miroku wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 pm
:jumping:

"Qi Dao" sounds made up , "Qi way"...ugh. The thing with internal arts is that they are so malleable that they could be almost anything. The people that can actually do them will always get hands on though, and demonstrate principles. Good Yi Quan people can do this, and it is about as 'formless' as a martial arts can get. Talk is just that.

Don't know if this is the guy, but this is bizarre, by Tai Chi or Qigong standards (as i've been exposed to them at least), this is not very good.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 pm

Johnny,

Xi-zhang Mi-tsung Lama Pai: Tibetan Secret Lama School. Yes, roots debatable.

I agree this individual's credentials sound pretty bogus, but his movements have some good points (and bad). To me, the position of his hands to forearms shows he knows something about the flow of qi.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Wed May 08, 2019 7:04 am

Mantrik wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 pm
Sādhaka wrote:
🧐

Seems legit 🧙🏻‍♂️🤹🏻‍♂️
Yes, he looks Tibetan and clearly has an authentic Tibetan name, so up there with Steven Seagull, maybe? :)

where did you find an authentic tibetan name & who looks tibetan?!?
i only see a western looking guy with a fake sanskrit name..... or did i miss something?
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

mutsuk

Post by mutsuk » Wed May 08, 2019 7:13 am

The connection to Bön is total bullish*t. There was another guy in Portland who invented a crypto christian/Bön system with a wordpress blog too. He called it New Yungdrung Bon, which is total bogus too...

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed May 08, 2019 7:22 am

pemachophel wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 pm
Johnny,

Xi-zhang Mi-tsung Lama Pai: Tibetan Secret Lama School. Yes, roots debatable.

I agree this individual's credentials sound pretty bogus, but his movements have some good points (and bad). To me, the position of his hands to forearms shows he knows something about the flow of qi.
I don't know, his root is terrible, almost inexcusable. Stylistic variation is one thing but.....I think his structure is pretty bad, again mainly the lower body. He looks like he's done some Qigong (maybe Chen Taiji as well) and then just made up some improvised stuff to go along with what bits he picked up, at least to me.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 am

Agreed. It reminds me of the improvised dance I saw made by a dancer to represent Tai Chi after watching a class. All upper body but no root and no energy.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed May 08, 2019 7:55 am

lelopa wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:04 am
Mantrik wrote:
Sādhaka wrote:
🧐

Seems legit 🧙🏻‍♂️🤹🏻‍♂️

i only see a western looking guy with a fake sanskrit name..... or did i miss something?
Irony....... you missed irony. lol :)

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:26 pm
There's a Tibetan version of White Crane. I think it's called Lama Pai, IIRC the origins of it are somewhat disputable, but that's true of many martial arts.
Miroku wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 pm

"Qi Dao" sounds made up , "Qi way"...ugh. The thing with internal arts is that they are so malleable that they could be almost anything. The people that can actually do them will always get hands on though, and demonstrate principles. Good Yi Quan people can do this, and it is about as 'formless' as a martial arts can get. Talk is just that.

Don't know if this is the guy, but this is bizarre, by Tai Chi or Qigong standards (as i've been exposed to them at least), this is not very good.
His movements to me look more like a dancer interpreting something they have watched. His arms and hands seem to be doing their own thing. I was more concerned by the claims to be ordained, recognised as an 'incarnate Lama' etc. Not a reincarnated ordained one, mind you, just a live one, apparently. One of his followers was on Facebook and was seemingly unquestioning.

I hope at some point he sees this and responds with information about all these claims, but this sort of teacher rarely does so. There used to be a martial arts forum called 'Bullshido' - I suspect he would have been discussed there, and possibly would then be visited. ;)

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed May 08, 2019 9:14 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:26 pm

"Qi Dao" sounds made up , "Qi way"...ugh.
He apparently made up the name becuase the real Tibetan name was too hard for Westerners: The REAL Tibetan name is apparently 'Tru Hore'. I guess he's having a stab at Trul Khor? A master's name would seem pretty easy to find, if so, and authority to teach it.

The guy is apparently Siberian and his grandfather, who taught him, taught the KGB what later was developed into Systema. He is 26th generation holder of the family lineage which goes back to being taught by invading Mongols in 1200's .

I am asking about his spiritual Bonpo lineage masters, ordination and recognition, but suspect it will end up with a blank.

I feel so sorry for the students. :(

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Wed May 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:55 am
lelopa wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:04 am
Mantrik wrote:

Irony....... you missed irony. lol :)l

that's right :emb:
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed May 08, 2019 7:35 pm

mutsuk wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:13 am
The connection to Bön is total bullish*t. There was another guy in Portland who invented a crypto christian/Bön system with a wordpress blog too. He called it New Yungdrung Bon, which is total bogus too...
Thanks.
I have no expectation of him producing the name of anyone from any lineage, especially as his 'Tru Hor' (Trul Khor??) seems to have come via Siberians taught by invading Mongols in the 1200's. His student claims he has studied Dream Yoga with Tibetans but not who the teacher was......... perhaps it was all a dream....

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm

My guess is that he studied Dream Yoga with Dr. Nida. Dr. Nida taught this to a very large group a few summers ago at Swami Chetananda's center. It was a two-day class with no practice sessions.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed May 08, 2019 7:58 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm
My guess is that he studied Dream Yoga with Dr. Nida. Dr. Nida taught this to a very large group a few summers ago at Swami Chetananda's center. It was a two-day class with no practice sessions.
Thanks. Yes, possibly so. It was his student's assertion that it was a part of his teaching which again makes me keen that anyone thinking of joining his expensive classes asks who authorised him to teach all this stuff, or even trained him, or even met him..........

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Thu May 09, 2019 9:42 am

mutsuk wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:13 am
He claims:
''Lama Padmayev had actually singled me out through the process of divination as a reincarnation of another lama, hence the title Tulku. ''
Once again, no details at all - probably in Russia/Ukraine?
A Lama in a Tibetan Bonpo tradition with a half-Indian and half-Russian name?
More holes in this story than a seive.
Guess I've wasted enough time on this. lol :)

Return to “Bön”