Rainbow Bodies

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
kalden yungdrung

Rainbow Bodies

Post by kalden yungdrung » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:38 am

Rainbow bodies - 00.jpg
Rainbow bodies - 00.jpg (110 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

IN ADDITION:

https://debunkingdeath.blogspot.com/201 ... ux0MPT4onY
The best meditation is no meditation

lelopa

Re: Rainbow Bodies

Post by lelopa » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 am

the Padmasambhava-Thangka at the link doesn't show a rainbow body, it shows a "rainbow-light-meditation".

every now & then you could find a similar picture & a strange explanation of the great transfer, or rainbow-body in the www
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 am

lelopa wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 am
the Padmasambhava-Thangka at the link doesn't show a rainbow body, it shows a "rainbow-light-meditation".

every now & then you could find a similar picture & a strange explanation of the great transfer, or rainbow-body in the www
Agree, not everything is in that link well explained.
But it gives a general impression about Rainbow bodies.
The best meditation is no meditation

fckw

Post by fckw » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 pm

lelopa wrote:

Interesting indeed. The picture on the cover of this book looks distinctly different.

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 am

fckw wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 pm
lelopa wrote:

Interesting indeed. The picture on the cover of this book looks distinctly different.

f.e. Ch.N.Norbu said something like:
"the Rainbow Body doesn't look like this (he mentioned the Padmasambhava thangka),
the RB looks exactly like the person when he/she was alive, but not made of flesh & bones"
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

fckw

Post by fckw » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:19 pm

lelopa wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 am
"the Rainbow Body doesn't look like this (he mentioned the Padmasambhava thangka),
the RB looks exactly like the person when he/she was alive, but not made of flesh & bones"
Do you have any idea where that sort of picture comes from then, i.e. the "rainbow light meditation" one? I've seen it a few times now. Is it a case where people reiterate some wrong idea? Or, could it be that it shows not a rainbow body per se but instead the moment of culmination of the third vision?

Slightly different context: Another picture that stroke me as unrealistic - or at least of very new origin - is the one found on this page on Garab Dorje. Note the implied second/first-person perspective, i.e. Garab Dorje pointing the finger at YOU. Such a perspective was "discovered" or invented in Europe only quite recently, hence this picture must imply an "imputation" of modern visual arts on a historical Buddhist figure (Garab Dorje in this case). Interesting? Certainly, but not historically accurate. Then again, visual arts also in Buddhist context may continue to develop, so why not depict Garab Dorje pointing at you? The effect 's quite impressive, I must admit. I know this is not exactly the same type of confusion like the one you mentioned, though. (By the way, I don't know this Lama Lena, but I must say from the Youtube videos I saw I find her quite odd.)

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 am

fckw wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:19 pm
lelopa wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 am
Do you have any idea where that sort of picture comes from then, i.e. the "rainbow light meditation" one? I've seen it a few times now. Is it a case where people reiterate some wrong idea? Or, could it be that it shows not a rainbow body per se but instead the moment of culmination of the third vision?

Slightly different context: Another picture that stroke me as unrealistic - or at least of very new origin - is the one found on this page on Garab Dorje. Note the implied second/first-person perspective, i.e. Garab Dorje pointing the finger at YOU. Such a perspective was "discovered" or invented in Europe only quite recently, hence this picture must imply an "imputation" of modern visual arts on a historical Buddhist figure (Garab Dorje in this case). Interesting? Certainly, but not historically accurate. Then again, visual arts also in Buddhist context may continue to develop, so why not depict Garab Dorje pointing at you? The effect 's quite impressive, I must admit. I know this is not exactly the same type of confusion like the one you mentioned, though. (By the way, I don't know this Lama Lena, but I must say from the Youtube videos I saw I find her quite odd.)
as Ch.N.Norbu explained that, he said it is a thangka from the Sakyapas....

the tibetans now learn to draw more and more in 3D, so some mudras in old statues, or thangkas are now more "photorealistic"

f.e. the protecting-mudra of Tara's right hand in thangkas is pointing to the right - at the statues of this kind of Taras the right hand is pointing forward... tibetans paint thangkas from different views in the same picture - f.e. a Mandala is shown from the front and bird's-eye perspective
Kalachakra's 4 heads are in 4 directions.... not so easy to draw it with a "back-face" nobody can see... very easy for statues.

N.Norbu explained the right hand of Padmasambhava with the Vajra should be viewed / depicted as pointing to the viewer
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

fckw

Post by fckw » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:11 pm

lelopa wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 am
Do you refer now to the Padmasambhava "rainbow body meditation" one, or to the one from Garab Dorje?

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:50 am

fckw wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:11 pm
lelopa wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 am
Do you refer now to the Padmasambhava "rainbow body meditation" one, or to the one from Garab Dorje?
sorry,
because you asked first for an info about this thangka, I answered this question first - I refer to the Rainbow LIGHT meditation
(not BODY)
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

fckw

Post by fckw » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I intended to write „Rainbow Light Meditation“ (not body). But intention was not aligned with execution...

Still interesting to know where the Sakyapas come up with this type of picture.

Return to “Bön”