Bonpo Trigram Legends

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
kalden yungdrung

Bonpo Trigram Legends

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek. :)

As a TCM practitioner, i am involved on a regular base with Taiosm principles like Yin and Yang. The Pa kua is a fundamental part used in one of the 5 Chinese classical Chings, the I Ching the book of oracles.

Here it is clear that the Pa Kua is very old and has as well in TCM as Bon so its own history with nice examples.

What is very similar in both cultures is the turtle as the source of the Pa Kua.
Further interesting philosophy regarding Taoism would be the prime cause or the Wu Chi out of everything is originated.
That resembles very much the emptiness aspect known in Dzogchen etc.

Best wishes
KY

BONPO TRIGRAM LEGENDS:

The origin of the Yi Ching trigrams is found in ancient culture of the Bon, the pre-Buddhist religion of Tibet. Ancient Bon texts explain the origin of the trigrams by means of a mythological tale of a golden turtle which represents the process of the formation of the world in eight stages:

• 1. The pure essence of the elements emerged from the mouth of the turtle as vapour and transformed into the 'old father of existence' (Sipa yab rgen ), the first and most ancient trigram, Khen, symbol of the sky. He is described as a old man with white hair, dressed in yellow silk, riding a dog and holding a crystal wand in his hand.
• 2. The impure aspects of the elements emerged as the dung of the turtle and fell and became 'old mother of existence', (Sipe yum rge ma) Khon, the second trigram that symbolises the earth. She is represented as an old lady with white hair the colour of a conch-shell, with a hundred wrinkles on her face, dressed in white silk, holding a hoe in her right hand and a wooden stick in her left and riding a sheep.
• 3. The old father and mother of existence married and from their union came the eldest son, the third trigram, Ghin, who symbolises the mountain connecting sky and earth. The eldest son is represented by a figure resembling a monk, holding a sacred book in his hands and riding a rose-coloured ox.
• 4. Then the wind blowing through the stony mountain valleys gave rise to the fourth trigram called Zon. This trigram is symbolised by the eldest daughter represented as a young woman dressed in yellow silk, riding a dzo, and holding in her hands a balloon-like round bag made of skin.
• 5. The action of the wind produced the fire element symbolised by the trigram Li which is represented by the youngest daughter of the old father and mother of existence. She is rosy in colour, with a horse's head, dressed in red silk, holding a ladle full of blood in her right hand and a torch in her left.
• 6. From the encounter of air and fire arose the sixth trigram called Kham which is symbolised by the grandson of the old father and mother and represented as a black-coloured man, with long hair, dressed in black, holding a leather ball full of water in his hand and riding a black pig.
• 7. Then from the interaction of the fire and wind arose the rain which fell thus originating the trigram Zin symbolised by the tree. The trigram Zin is represented by the grand-daughter who is greenish in colour, dressed in green silk, riding a green donkey, with her hands crossed on her chest and holding a plant.
• 8. Through the function of the element fire which melted the earth, its pure essence, metal (gold, silver, copper, etc.), manifests, associated with the trigram Da. The trigram Da is the youngest son of the old father and the old mother and he is represented by a young warrior wearing a helmet and armour, holding a sword and a lance in his hands and riding a goat.

Prof. Thubten Puntsok tells us:

"According to the tale, the trigrams Kham and Zin came about in this way. The elder son, Ghin wishing to find a bride, circled Mount Meru, the 'axis mundis' three times in a clockwise direction; Zon, with the same wish circled the ocean three times in a counter clockwise direction. The two of them met in the midst of a vortex of wind in the country called srin po gdudg pa can gyi yul, which means 'the country inhabited by wild cannibals', in a place called ye le dgung sngon or 'primordial sky'. In the midst of the vortex they did not recognise each other and engaged in an incestuous relationship. From their union was born a son, the trigram Kham, and a daughter, the trigram Zin.

This incestuous relationship was a tragedy that caused a disturbance among various classes of non-humans, in particular between the Devas and the Nagas, who became drunk with mental confusion (because existence had been defiled by the incestuous relationship) and coupled between themselves thus giving birth to the Eight Classes of demons and gods. Following this the beings of the six classes of existence were born, the hell beings etc., and illnesses and suffering arose among these classes.

This suffering which struck the inhabitants of the world came to the attention of the old father, the trigram Khen, who called out asking what was happening. A reply came from the sky saying that what was happening was the result of an incestuous rapport of the elder son with his sister and that it would be beneficial if the family did not remain together but split up to reside in the eight directions. Li, the younger daughter, with the wish to reconciliate the family, approached the old father, Khen, apologising for the misunderstanding between the two trigrams, Ghin and Zon. which had caused the suffering troubling the world. The old father, however, misunderstood her words, got angry and the problems within the family did not come to an end so the members of the family took up residence in the eight directions. Each one took his or her property to their direction and these belongings (including rocks, pieces of wood and so forth) were the very substances that, later on, became used in the rites to pacify the damage caused by an unfavourable combination of the elements or of the trigrams.

Finally the old mother, who was born in the earth sheep year, died at the age of 226 in the wood dragon year. She was buried in the earth the following year, that of the wood snake. At that time there was no funerary ritual to appease the Eight Classes and to balance the elements of the family, and, as a consequence, the old father who was born in the earth dog year and lived for 253 years, died the following year, the metal pig year. In a similar fashion, as the result of the lack of proper funerary rites, Zin, Zon and Kham suddenly died. After that Da, Li and Ghin discussed the matter and created the rite to appease the Eight Classes of demons and gods and to balance the elements within the family. As a result of this the world enjoyed peace and prosperity for many eons.

Following this period of prosperity, the world began to decline and all its inhabitants experienced an augmentation of mental affliction. At that time the Sage Yod po appeared who recounted the legend of the origin of the Parkha and became the first Tibetan to explain astrological calculations.
After many centuries in a period in which no form of writing existed, the teacher of astrology named Sa bdag nag po started to indicate the parkha, the mewa, and the animals with white and black pebbles.

After many centuries, the prince Shi kha then tse born (2551 BC.) in the year of the metal rabbit, established the rules of governing using astrological calculations. In 1957 BC in the wood monkey year, the astrology master Sa bdag rlung rgyal was born, who taught the sage nGnon po. On the basis of the instruction of his teacher, the latter elaborated a way of astrological calculation using the combination of the twelve animal signs with the five elements. He associated colours with the five elements: green for wood, red for fire, yellow for earth, white for metal and black for water and then associated these elements to the parkha and animal signs by way of different dots of colour.

In 1557 BC. in the year of wood mouse, another master of astrology, Ze'u kong 'phrul chung was born. He applied the mother-son-friend-enemy relationship to the field of medicine for the first time. In the wood mouse year in 1197 BC., a famous astrologer, Kongtse sphrul gyi rgyal po, was born. On the basis of his astrological knowledge and on the request of four of his most intelligent students he composed 357 treatises on the rituals of the gto, mdos, yas and the gljud, which have the function of balancing the elements and pacifying the disturbances caused by the Eight Classes of spirits and gods.

In 417 BC. in the wood mouse year, Nyatri Tsenpo, the first Tibetan king, was born. When he became king of Tibet, the so-called 'community of astrological practitioners' developed and propagated astrology widely. At that time, on the basis of the observations of the southerly and northerly movement of the sun, the observation of the stars and the migration of birds, the rain, clouds, wind and snow, the community prepared the solar calendar of 360 days mainly for the sake of the farmers and nomads.

There are many details regarding the development of the elements, how disturbances manifested and how substances were used to pacify the imbalance of the elements but we would need a week simply to explain them. This is a mythological story not a real one, nonetheless its symbols could be considered to be an invaluable field of research. This information concerning the mythological origin of the trigrams as well as the mewa or numbers can only be found in the Bon texts; one does not find similar explanation in the astrological treatises of China or other countries. In fact, when Chinese astrological experts are asked about the origin of the parka or trigrams they do not have a very clear explanation and sometimes refer to a particular race of people called Yi who lived on the border between China and who were originally Tibetans with customs and beliefs closely linked to the Bon culture."
Last edited by kalden yungdrung on Tue May 31, 2011 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best meditation is no meditation
kalden yungdrung

Re: Bonpo Trigram Legends

PA KUA.jpg
PA KUA.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek

Byung rTsis Byung-rTsis has its origin in ancient Tibetan Bön culture and belongs according the Southern Treasures, to the first way.

1. Chashen thegpa (Phywa-gshen theg-pa), the Way of the Shen of Prediction, describes 4 different ways of prediction, by divination (mo), astrology (rtsis), ritual (gto) and examination of causes (dphyad).

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=26441&p=405703&hil ... es#p405703
Byung rTsis - 00.jpg
Byung rTsis - 00.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 3549 times

In the Bön chart:
bird = dragon
ox is elephant.

The animal chart starts with the mouse and ends with the sign pig.

If we want to find our astrological sign, we have to start with the actual year , the year of the dog.
for instance if we are 9 years, then we have to count back 9 times from the actual year the year of the dog (from the right to the left), then the sign would be elephant in Bön.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

So we don't count the Dog when beginning, number 1 would be Bird/garuda?
Also, this year, 2018, I am 67, and that gives me a dragon sign. In three days I'll be 68, and that will change the sign, which one is correct?

This is really interesting, in the non-Bon tradition, I'm a metal Tiger....big difference. :smile:
kalden yungdrung

Lhasa wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm So we don't count the Dog when beginning, number 1 would be Bird/garuda?
Also, this year, 2018, I am 67, and that gives me a dragon sign. In three days I'll be 68, and that will change the sign, which one is correct?

This is really interesting, in the non-Bon tradition, I'm a metal Tiger....big difference. :smile:
Tashi delek dear L,

We start counting in the year of today, that is the year of the dog,It`s year 1.
Year 2 is Garuda
Year 3 is Monkey etc.

Tiger is also Tiger in Bön.
Bön has only for Ox the Elephant and for the Bird they use the Garuda /Kyung.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:13 pm
In the Bön chart:
bird = dragon
ox is elephant.
No, bird is garuda in Bon elemental calculation. Note: I see you changed it.

Please consult my translation available from Chapur Rinpoche's site, done in collaboration with him when he gave a course a couple of years ago.
Last edited by Malcolm on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lhasa wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm
You are also a metal tiger in Bon rtsi. There is virtually no difference between 'byung rtsi in Bön and Buddhism.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Baguazhang, based on the trigrams, is also an amazing martial art. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 am Tashi delek. :)

As a TCM practitioner, i am involved on a regular base with Taiosm principles like Yin and Yang. The Pa kua is a fundamental part used in one of the 5 Chinese classical Chings, the I Ching the book of oracles.

Here it is clear that the Pa Kua is very old and has as well in TCM as Bon so its own history with nice examples.

What is very similar in both cultures is the turtle as the source of the Pa Kua.
Further interesting philosophy regarding Taoism would be the prime cause or the Wu Chi out of everything is originated.

I'm stunned. BTW - Taoism is essentialist, at least in the interpretation of my former Taoist teacher (and presumably his teacher). Essentialist in this case means something close to atmanistic if not directly atmanistic (because along the way to enlightenment in Taoism the spirit is basically an essential element and it is further developmend usimg a kind of spiritual alchemny).

Anyway, that Bon also has an interpretation of Bagua is stunning and fascinating.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kalden yungdrung

Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:13 pm
In the Bön chart:
bird = dragon
ox is elephant.
No, bird is garuda in Bon elemental calculation. Note: I see you changed it.

Please consult my translation available from Chapur Rinpoche's site, done in collaboration with him when he gave a course a couple of years ago.
Sorry Errata a typing mistake bird should indeed be a Garuda.
Comment to Lhasa is correct ........there bird = Garuda /Kyung
kalden yungdrung

kirtu wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm stunned. BTW - Taoism is essentialist, at least in the interpretation of my former Taoist teacher (and presumably his teacher). Essentialist in this case means something close to atmanistic if not directly atmanistic (because along the way to enlightenment in Taoism the spirit is basically an essential element and it is further developmend usimg a kind of spiritual alchemny).

Anyway, that Bon also has an interpretation of Bagua is stunning and fascinating.

Kirt
Tashi delek K,

Yes it is stunning and i asked one very educated Geshela today about the source of the Pa Kua / Ba gua and he assured me it was a teaching of Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche.

We have also a Chinese "Kung Fu" style Pa Kua which is a certain style which is stepped in circle patterns, with a certain palm technic which goes round. Practised this for a short time in my youth, never finished it.

Then we can consider that the story of the turtle is also known in Taoism as well the "founder" of that, the Medicine man dressed in herbal leaves, forgot his name. Would be around 3000 - 5000 B.Chr.

The I Ching is one of the best divination books i know and it was my first book together with the Tibetan book of the dying , about 46 - 49 years ago.
Here the 64 signs or trigrams can predict for me every situation and it never fails in the right prediction.
The person who likes to know, throws my 3 blessed silver coins and i tell the person what he/she will meet/experience etc.
I Ching never was wrong and the persons who consulted me know that the hexagram "knew" the question .
The answer was always to the point and never mistaken and i could give always the right story, cannot explain that, it goes automatic.

So the Pa Kua is a very powerful tool to predict and it never fails to do so, based on my 49 years experience with this I Ching.
Therefore i can believe it that the Pa Kua is used also elsewhere, like in China and i can imagine myself that the Pa Kua is of Bön origin.
Ok here we can have different meanings, but i am convinced that Bön was spread to China and Uddhiyana.

if the Pa Kua would be Chinese of origin, then the Kalachakra Tantra would also be a mixed up Tantra somehow and that is what i do not believe.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 pm
kirtu wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Kirt
Tashi delek K,

Yes it is stunning and i asked one very educated Geshela today about the source of the Pa Kua / Ba gua and he assured me it was a teaching of Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche.

We have also a Chinese "Kung Fu" style Pa Kua which is a certain style which is stepped in circle patterns, with a certain palm technic which goes round. Practised this for a short time in my youth, never finished it.

Then we can consider that the story of the turtle is also known in Taoism as well the "founder" of that, the Medicine man dressed in herbal leaves, forgot his name. Would be around 3000 - 5000 B.Chr.

The I Ching is one of the best divination books i know and it was my first book together with the Tibetan book of the dying.
Here the 64 signs or trigrams can predict for me every situation and it never fails in the right prediction.
The person who likes to know, throws my 3 blessed silver coins and i tell the person what he/she will meet/experience etc.
I Ching never was wrong and the persons who consulted me know that the hexagram "knew" the question .
The answer was always to the point and never mistaken and i could give always the right story, cannot explain that, it goes automatic.

So the Pa Kua is a very powerful tool to predict and it never fails to do so, based on my 49 years experience with this I Ching.
Therefore i can believe it that the Pa Kua is used also elsewhere, like in China and i can imagine myself that the Pa Kua is of Bön origin.
Ok here we can have different meanings, but i am convinced that Bön was spread to China and Uddhiyana.

if the Pa Kua would be Chinese of origin, then the Kalachakra Tantra would also be a mixed up Tantra somehow and that is what i do not believe.

Kalacakra does not have the trigrams in it.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 pm
Lhasa wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm
You are also a metal tiger in Bon rtsi. There is virtually no difference between 'byung rtsi in Bön and Buddhism.
When I count on the above diagram to 67, my current age, starting with dog year one... I end up with Earth Dragon. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a Bon chart somewhere that gives more precise instructions?
kalden yungdrung

Malcolm wrote:

Well i thought always until now of yes. Maybe the under depicted photo, does not belong to the Kalachakra Tantra.
Kalachakra - 02.jpg
Kalachakra - 02.jpg (77.72 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
kalden yungdrung

Lhasa wrote:
When I count on the above diagram to 67, my current age, starting with dog year one... I end up with Earth Dragon. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a Bon chart somewhere that gives more precise instructions?
Yes you are indeed an Earth Dragon, that is right regarding your given age.
Guess you made somehow a mistake in the calculation, or another made this mistake.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:06 pm
Malcolm wrote:

Well i thought always until now of yes. Maybe the under depicted photo, does not belong to the Kalachakra Tantra.

Kalachakra - 02.jpg
This diagram is not based on Kalacakra, the Kalacakra mantra is there for auspiciousness.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lhasa wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm So we don't count the Dog when beginning, number 1 would be Bird/garuda?
Your animal is based on Tibetan new years, not your western birthday. If you were born in 1951, you were born in the female metal hare year.
kalden yungdrung

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:11 pm
Lhasa wrote:
Yes you are indeed an Earth Dragon, that is right regarding your given age.
Guess you made somehow a mistake in the calculation, or another made this mistake.
Tashi delek L,

Wrong calculation, due to misunderstanding or wrong explanation, keep it in the middle.
We should not start calculating in the year of the dog, but in the year of the Garuda /Kyung, then if we go round with 67 then we get indeed the hare.

further an easier to understand table:
https://www.benchen.org.pl/en/tibetan-c ... -1927-2046
kalden yungdrung

Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:22 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:06 pm
Malcolm wrote:

Kalachakra - 02.jpg
This diagram is not based on Kalacakra, the Kalacakra mantra is there for auspiciousness.
I see, the Kalachakra Tantra does not make use of the Pa Kua, they use it here at the depicted photo in another way, namely only for auspiciousness.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm
Your animal is based on Tibetan new years, not your western birthday. If you were born in 1951, you were born in the female metal hare year.
1950 :smile:

Return to “Bön”