Bonpo Trigram Legends

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
Malcolm

Re: Bonpo Trigram Legends

Post by Malcolm » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:52 am

Lhasa wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:21 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm
Lhasa wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm
So we don't count the Dog when beginning, number 1 would be Bird/garuda?
Also, this year, 2018, I am 67, and that gives me a dragon sign. In three days I'll be 68, and that will change the sign, which one is correct?
Your animal is based on Tibetan new years, not your western birthday. If you were born in 1951, you were born in the female metal hare year.

1950 :smile:
Then male metal tiger
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 am

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 pm
kirtu wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:40 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 am
Tashi delek. :)

As a TCM practitioner, i am involved on a regular base with Taiosm principles like Yin and Yang. The Pa kua is a fundamental part used in one of the 5 Chinese classical Chings, the I Ching the book of oracles.

Here it is clear that the Pa Kua is very old and has as well in TCM as Bon so its own history with nice examples.

What is very similar in both cultures is the turtle as the source of the Pa Kua.
Further interesting philosophy regarding Taoism would be the prime cause or the Wu Chi out of everything is originated.

That resembles very much the emptiness aspect known in Dzogchen etc.
I'm stunned. BTW - Taoism is essentialist, at least in the interpretation of my former Taoist teacher (and presumably his teacher). Essentialist in this case means something close to atmanistic if not directly atmanistic (because along the way to enlightenment in Taoism the spirit is basically an essential element and it is further developmend usimg a kind of spiritual alchemny).

Anyway, that Bon also has an interpretation of Bagua is stunning and fascinating.

Kirt
Tashi delek K,

Yes it is stunning and i asked one very educated Geshela today about the source of the Pa Kua / Ba gua and he assured me it was a teaching of Buddha Tönpa Shenrab Miwoche.

We have also a Chinese "Kung Fu" style Pa Kua which is a certain style which is stepped in circle patterns, with a certain palm technic which goes round. Practised this for a short time in my youth, never finished it.

Then we can consider that the story of the turtle is also known in Taoism as well the "founder" of that, the Medicine man dressed in herbal leaves, forgot his name. Would be around 3000 - 5000 B.Chr.

The I Ching is one of the best divination books i know and it was my first book together with the Tibetan book of the dying , about 46 - 49 years ago.
Here the 64 signs or trigrams can predict for me every situation and it never fails in the right prediction.
The person who likes to know, throws my 3 blessed silver coins and i tell the person what he/she will meet/experience etc.
I Ching never was wrong and the persons who consulted me know that the hexagram "knew" the question .
The answer was always to the point and never mistaken and i could give always the right story, cannot explain that, it goes automatic.

So the Pa Kua is a very powerful tool to predict and it never fails to do so, based on my 49 years experience with this I Ching.
Therefore i can believe it that the Pa Kua is used also elsewhere, like in China and i can imagine myself that the Pa Kua is of Bön origin.
Ok here we can have different meanings, but i am convinced that Bön was spread to China and Uddhiyana.

if the Pa Kua would be Chinese of origin, then the Kalachakra Tantra would also be a mixed up Tantra somehow and that is what i do not believe.
What translation of the I Ching do you use?

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 am

amanitamusc wrote:
What translation of the I Ching do you use?
I Ching - 064  2.jpg
I Ching - 064 2.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Tashi delek A,

Since a long time , is this my basic book (see below) , it is my second one. My first I Ching (printed in 1970) was a present for my mother and brother.
My mother is convinced about hand reading, I Ching was for her a special addition to her foretelling.
I have also other books regarding the I Ching, with different ways of interpretation but in case of questions, i study my basic I Ching (see below)
IMO is the I Ching the most powerful tool for to the point predictions, it never fails if done correct.
Further, a certain feeling or talent / flair is needed to give the right interpretation.

What is very helpful regarding working with I Ching would be:

- Place should be cleaned up before
- Copper, silver or golden coins which are blessed by ritual
- Blowing special mantras on the book and coins, during the throwing of the coins
- Personal good flowing of the Chi
- Being empty from inside
- Book and coins offered before prediction to the Buddhas and are blessed by them
- Place of storage, on a blessed place (in front of the Buddhas)

=============================
Naar de Duitse vertaling met toelichting van RICHARD WILHELM
Duitse titel: I GING DAS BUCH DER WANDLUNGEN
Eugen Diederichs Verlag, Diüseldorf/Köln

Met een voorwoord van PROF. DR. C. G. ]UNG,
overgenomen en vertaald uit de Engelse uitgave.
Engelse titel: The ! CHING or BOOK OF CHANGES
Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd., London
Vertaald door A. HOCHBERC~ VAN WALLINGA
De beide eerste drukken van dit boek verscbenen bij
Uitgeverij L.]. Veen, Amsterdam
ISBN 90 202 478) 9

Eerste druk: 1953
Tweede druk: 1970
Derde druk: 1971
Vierde druk: 1972
Vijfde druk: 1973
Zesde druk: 1974