new jonangs?

lama tsewang

new jonangs?

Post by lama tsewang »

what is tashi nyima and the new jonangs , about?

tsewang
Knotty Veneer

Re: new jonangs?

Post by Knotty Veneer »

lama tsewang wrote:what is tashi nyima and the new jonangs , about?

tsewang
Don't know but it sounds like a great name for a band!
This is not the wrong life.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Why don't you ask him ?

http://greatmiddleway.wordpress.com/about/

The New Jonang Community is a western branch of Great Middle Way Buddhism. It arose, as with all Buddhist communities, from the teachings, example, and blessings of Buddha Shakyamuni. These were then transmitted through a lineage of realized Buddhist Masters, including the Indian Masters Nagarjuna, Asanga, and Vasubandhu, and the Tibetan Masters Kunchen Dolpopa and Jetsun Taranatha.

We use the term New Jonang to give the revitalized teachings of the Great Middle Way a distinct identity within the wider Buddhist world. By using this term, we make clear that practitioners of this community are following the teachings and example of Kunchen Dolpopa and Jetsun Taranatha. The word New is used not to imply that it is newly created, but rather that it is a presentation of the Dharma in a form that is appropriate to the needs and conditions of the modern world. By using the term Jonang, we encourage all to follow the perfect example of simplicity and purity of practice shown by the Jonang Khenpos.

May the sun that illumines the Mountain Dharma of Kunchen Dolpopa’s Great Middle Way, having risen in Tibet, now shine over the West.

By the merit accrued through the pure thoughts, words, and deeds of the Jonangpas, may the teachings, example, and blessings of Buddha Shakyamuni and the Buddha from Dolpo remain and flourish for the greater good and happiness of all beings.

kunchen jonangpa chenno
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

tsewang
As of my understanding they are a lineage of Jonangs.

if im not mistaken the Jonangs havent had a head abbot (HH) for hundreds of years and teachings have been passed down through what you would called a confederacy of teachers.all tracing back to a root source ect.

I think that is what "new" Jonang is,its just an old school lineage that doesnt fall under the (HHDL) appointed Jonang abbot.

Of course I may not be correct,if anyone knows more about the topic please feel free to correct my info.

Peace and love
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

tsewang

While I am not affiliated with the 'New Jonang' (I am simply a Jonangpa...no 'new'), I did meet Ven. Tashi Nyima back in 2011. He was present and assisted at an empowerment at the dharma center I attend. I didn't really get a chance to dialog with him then and didn't know about the 'New Jonang' until after the fact. He does seem very knowledgeable and willing to dialog with folks. As others have mentioned, he has a blog with an email address as well so contacting him directly shouldn't be an issue.

I do, however, respectfully disagree with some of the statements I've seen Venerable Tashi post on several forums regarding contemporary Jonangpas not following the doctrines of Dolpopa in regards to zhentong. I have received teachings on zhentong from a Jonangpa Khenpo and they did not contradict the available printed teachings of Dolpopa in any way. There may be some confusion on my part, either regarding the teachings or regarding the statements in question that I have seen Ven. Tashi post. So this could entirely be a misunderstanding, but I can say that from what I have been taught and from what I have read, the Jonang lineage maintains the teachings down to this day. At least, that is the case with the Dorje Ling centers and my own direct teachers.

I do think that Ven. Tashi Nyima shares a lot of great information though, and is sincere in his practice and spreading the Dharma. I follow his blog.
May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,
May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,
May all sentient beings never be separated from bliss without suffering,
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of ignorance, attachment and aversion.
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

"Vajratantrika"

I do, however, respectfully disagree with some of the statements I've seen Venerable Tashi post on several forums regarding contemporary Jonangpas not following the doctrines of Dolpopa in regards to zhentong. I have received teachings on zhentong from a Jonangpa Khenpo and they did not contradict the available printed teachings of Dolpopa in any way. There may be some confusion on my part, either regarding the teachings or regarding the statements in question that I have seen Ven. Tashi post. So this could entirely be a misunderstanding, but I can say that from what I have been taught and from what I have read, the Jonang lineage maintains the teachings down to this day. At least, that is the case with the Dorje Ling centers and my own direct teachers.

I do think that Ven. Tashi Nyima shares a lot of great information though, and is sincere in his practice and spreading the Dharma. I follow his blog.

Yea I have seen the same thing,of course I dont want to know WHO the contemporary Jonangpas
he is talking about are(last I remember he never named names,which is good cause the last thing anyone needs is teachers conflict,and as you know the students on both sides start throwing up the battle flags...ect)

BUT I am interested in learning exactly what teachings these contemporary Jonangpas are teaching that Ven Tashi doesnt think is not in line with Traditional Dolpopa Zhentong?

Also Ven Tashi isnt the only one who has made the claims,I have heard the same exact thing from a friend of mine in Taiwan.

So without naming names do you know which teachings the contemporaries are giving that isnt lining up with Dolpopa?
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

Son of Buddha wrote: So without naming names do you know which teachings the contemporaries are giving that isnt lining up with Dolpopa?
I don't know of any. My experience has only been with Jonangpas here is the US - though all of them were from Tibet originally and none of the teachings I have received contradicted Dolpopa in any way.
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of ignorance, attachment and aversion.
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Vajratantrika wrote:
Son of Buddha wrote: So without naming names do you know which teachings the contemporaries are giving that isnt lining up with Dolpopa?
I don't know of any. My experience has only been with Jonangpas here is the US - though all of them were from Tibet originally and none of the teachings I have received contradicted Dolpopa in any way.
Yea I read through many articles on the websites you sent me,I never read anything that went against Ven Dolpopas teachings on Zhentong.

We might have to politely ask him to come on here an list some of the views that he finds incorrect that contempory teachers are propagating.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Ven. Tashi Nyima was very helpful to me when I was beginning my study of dharma.

I can't remember all of the details surrounding the New Jonang (and I might be wrong), but it has something to do with
the recognition or rejection of the line of Tulkus and bridging the gap in the lineage. As was posted earlier, ask him and
find out for yourself.

Shaun :namaste:
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

zerwe wrote:Ven. Tashi Nyima was very helpful to me when I was beginning my study of dharma.
Yes, and I don't want to be misunderstood. I like Ven. Tashi. And as I mentioned previously, I think he is very knowledgeable and sincere and dedicated to the Dharma and helping others. That has been my experience of him as well.
zerwe wrote:I can't remember all of the details surrounding the New Jonang (and I might be wrong), but it has something to do with
the recognition or rejection of the line of Tulkus and bridging the gap in the lineage.
There has never been a gap in the lineage. The Jonangpas have existed from the founding of the lineage all the way down to today. Though historians and scholars of Buddhism were not as aware of us for a long time, due to some of the difficult history. The Jonang lineage never died out. There were and are monasteries in Amdo and other places. Compared to some of the other lineages though, the Jonang has certainly been relatively smaller. Yet again, this has been due to some of the past history that I'd rather not get into right now.

What my initial comments were in reference to was the following statement Ven. Tashi has made...
There is a significant difference between the teachings of the Buddha of the Three Times, the Omniscient Dolpopa, and that of the Jonangpas today. The zhentong that is currently espoused is of the type grudgingly accepted by (and acceptable to) moderate Gelukpas like HH the Dalai Lama, and certainly to mainstream Kagyupas and Nyingmapas. It is not, however, Kunkhyen Dolpopa's zhentong. The practices are equally diluted with innumerable accretions from other lineages.
zerwe wrote:As was posted earlier, ask him and find out for yourself.
I agree, that is my suggestion as well for those with an interest in New Jonang. My plate is pleasantly full right now with the Jonang (not New). I go to the local center often and am quite happy with the teachings and practices there. My lama is authentically Jonang and so are all the teachers there.
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

I just want to note here (for those following this thread) that once I realized Ven. Tashi most likely no longer frequents this forum (I haven't seen any recent posts by him) I decided to contact him directly. I did not want to make a post calling comments into question (however respectfully), without offering a chance for a response. We had a very pleasant exchange and all questions I had about the matter have been cleared up to my satisfaction. I am grateful for the kindness he showed to me in our dialog.

Return to “Jonang”