Kalacakra and shambala

MatthewAngby

Kalacakra and shambala

Post by MatthewAngby »

Is the kalacakra tradition mostly based on spiritual warfare? Can anyone explain it to me?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
Fortyeightvows

Re: Kalacakra and shambala

Post by Fortyeightvows »

It is modernity that has separated the spiritual from the material.
Keep that in mind as you read the responses that are sure to follow.
heart

Post by heart »

MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 am Is the kalacakra tradition mostly based on spiritual warfare? Can anyone explain it to me?
Not at all, it is a system of practice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
florin

Post by florin »

MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 am Is the kalacakra tradition mostly based on spiritual warfare? Can anyone explain it to me?
Spiritual welfare, yes.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

florin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm
Spiritual welfare, yes.

“practicing Kalachakra, you are very fortunate, that means you can be reborn in Shambhala and come back as a bodhisattva warrior to protect the world in the degenerating age. According to the text it says that the army from Shambhala will ride on horses with weapons and conquer all the barbarians, then they will change in aspect and give teachings, so in that way the Dharma will last for another 100 years in this world.”

So what does this mean? Fighting babaraeians ? I can fight for dharma ?
florin

Post by florin »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 am I can fight for dharma ?
this man may be able to help
Rinpochemace.jpg
Rinpochemace.jpg (35.72 KiB) Viewed 14438 times
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

florin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 am

Rinpochemace.jpg
@florin, I’m actually serious about this as I’m very confused with the statement. Could you please help me out with your explanations?
florin

Post by florin »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:50 am

Rinpochemace.jpg
@florin, I’m actually serious about this as I’m very confused with the statement. Could you please help me out with your explanations?
Why are you confused ?
Why do you think that this board can give you answers ?
The standard or cliche answer would be that before you fight for truth you have to conquer your own ignorant armies.
But if you want to stop going round and round in circles and talk endlessly about silly details with uninformed people, you go and ask a wise man.
That is a wise man.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

florin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Rinpochemace.jpg
Why are you confused ?
The standard or cliche answer would be that before you fight for truth you have to conquer your own ignorant armies.
But if you want to stop going round and round in circles and talk endlessly about silly details with uninformed people, you go and ask a wise man.
That is a wise man.
Ok then. So are u suggesting I stop asking questions in dharmawheel and ask a wise man instead next time or..?
florin

Post by florin »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 pm
florin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Why are you confused ?
That is a wise man.
Ok then. So are u suggesting I stop asking questions in dharmawheel and ask a wise man instead next time or..?
I am not suggesting any such thing.
I am suggesting that this question of yours is better be asked from a wise man.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Try Alexander Berzin, maybe in his archives there will be sth, or email a teacher, that could help. Or read a commentary from a master. Sometimes boddhisatvas are called warriors. Maybe in Chogyam Trungpa's book about Shambhala you could find some info to help you.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Looking through the berzin archives is a very good suggestion.

Remember that Tibet was a theocracy and in the past almost all kings and great leaders viewed themselves as defenders of the faith, the society's connection to heavens, etc.
In those contexts, which I would think are similar to the contexts in which the kalachakra came from, I think it would be incorrect to view the text as addressing purely (or isolated) spiritual needs.

There are other religious texts which originate from around the same time and place (same cultural view) as the kalachakra. There are texts which discuss spiritual development without using the imagery :quoteunquote: found in the kalachakra.
So it is there for a reason.

There is a journal article I think in JIABS, which says thank the people who developed the kalachakra were very well familiar with other religions (they were dealing with it themselves).

Which leads back to what I said earlier
Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 am It is modernity that has separated the spiritual from the material.
I very highly doubt that the texts in question were made to be interpreted as a mere psychodrama.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm

I very highly doubt that the texts in question were made to be interpreted as a mere psychodrama.
The real meaning of the Shambhala war is purely a metaphor, as anyone who studies the system in any detail understands.

It is not meant to taken literally at all.
Harold Musetescu

Post by Harold Musetescu »

There are outer teachings of the Kalacakra.

There are inner teachings of the Kalacakra.

There are secret teachings of the Kalacakra.

Finally, there are the inner most secret teachings of the Kalacakra.

I seriously doubt anyone on this site has the secret or the inner most secret teachings of the Kalacakra.

I don't and all I can do is guess about the Kalacakra War and anyone else who claims they know is either lying or breaking their tantric vows.

Why do you think there are some many seperate initiations in the higher levels Kalachakra tantra.

But, if someone does have these secret teachings I don't mind if you spill your guts and tell all of us.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

methar wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 pm I don't and all I can do is guess about the Kalacakra War and anyone else who claims they know is either lying or breaking their tantric vows.
It is very clearly spelled out in Mipham's very long commentary on the root tantra, and other commentaries.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

My root guru held the Kalacakra Tantra and practice in very high regard, and he was the most peaceful man I've known. The discussions about Shambhala and all the battle imagery, I was told, were definitely symbolic and not literal, while the contents of the "alternative Kalacakra" and esp. the instructions on completion stage practice are, ironically, more literal and explicit than you will find in most tantras.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Harold Musetescu

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 pm
methar wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 pm I don't and all I can do is guess about the Kalacakra War and anyone else who claims they know is either lying or breaking their tantric vows.
It is very clearly spelled out in Mipham's very long commentary on the root tantra, and other commentaries.
Mipham would spell out to the general public the inner most secrets tantric teaching of the Kalachakra?

There is a phrase you may of hear of called "The Ear Whispered" lineage.

But some like to think that they are the holder of all sutra and tantric wisdoms.

They show it in their posts.

I am not no of those people and I like to think I hold my tantric vows of secrecy.

I won't ever tell anyone who my Tantric Lama is or what my tantric practice is.

Does your guru or any real guru sell the "Inner Most Tantric Secrets" to the public in a book or public retreat? :thinking:

Not if they are for real!

Real Lamas will tell their advanced students that they lied to them for the last five years about the true teachings of your "Tantric Practice". :spy:

Now that you have passed all their tests they will now finally show you the inner most secrets of that "Tantric Pracitce.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

methar wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 pm
Mipham would spell out to the general public the inner most secrets tantric teaching of the Kalachakra?

But some like to think that they are the holder of all sutra and tantric wisdoms.

I am not no of those people and I like to think I hold my tantric vows of secrecy.

Does your guru or any real guru sell the "Inner Most Tantric Secrets" to the public in a book or public retreat? :thinking:

Real Lamas will tell their advanced students that they lied to them for the last five years about the true teachings of your "Tantric Practice". :spy:

Now that you have passed all their tests they will now finally show you the inner most secrets of that "Tantric Pracitce.
You seem somewhat confused.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Harold, your identity as someone who practices the Gyalpo is well known. In fact, your nym here is a reference to one of the Gyalpo's subordinate entities.
Harold Musetescu

Norwegian wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:58 pm

You seem somewhat confused.
Thank you Norwegian for you detailed, point by point review of my post.

I will spent some time reviewing all of your many insights and hope it gives me a better view of your revelations to me.
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Return to “Jonang”