My cat dreams nightmares

Help required with personal difficulties.
gloriasteinem

My cat dreams nightmares

Post by gloriasteinem »

She kicked me really bad while she was sleeping near my legs and than made a wide opened eyes face. She really scared me. Also she is someways cat I take to care but she is mojor's cat. I often dream nightmares and while sometimes they come alone I do feel like lately someone triggers them but even the cat? I know the cat is lazy, pretentious etc and sometimes irritates me, she even leaves to outside when she feels bored or not enough taken cared of but I don't want the poor animal to have nightmares. I do kicks in dreaming too. I had my own cat last winter, male one, and she didn't have nightmares I also slept very calmly with it. It was a very good animal, my little cat saint. I just needed to share
Last edited by gloriasteinem on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saoshun

Re: My cat dreams nightmares

Post by Saoshun »

you want remedy for it or just sharing?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gloriasteinem wrote:She kicked me really bad while she was sleeping near my legs
That of course isn't unusual ...
and than made a wide opened eyes face.
if she was waking up them that isn't a problem. Sometimes cats do have bad dreams though but in my experience it is quite rare.

If you trust reciting mantras then recite:

OM MANI PEDME HUNG (the mantra of the Bodhisattva of Compassion)
THADYATA OM BEYKANZE BEYKANZE MAHABEYKANZE RAJA SAMUGATE SOHA (the mantra of the Medicine Buddha)
or
OM TARE TUTARE TURE SOHA (the mantra of the well-known female Buddha, Green Tara)

and blow them on her. Just recite 21x's and then blow them on her imagining that the Buddhas are blessing her.

If you don't like mantras then you could recite a short sutra or sutta for her or the protection verses from the Pali (which are a sutta).

You could also use aroma therapy (there is aroma therapy for cats) but you will need to talk to a holistic vet to find out which essence to use.

May neither of you ever have bad dreams again.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

kirtu wrote:
gloriasteinem wrote:She kicked me really bad while she was sleeping near my legs
That of course isn't unusual ...
and than made a wide opened eyes face.
if she was waking up them that isn't a problem. Sometimes cats do have bad dreams though but in my experience it is quite rare.

If you trust reciting mantras then recite:

OM MANI PEDME HUNG (the mantra of the Bodhisattva of Compassion)
THADYATA OM BEYKANZE BEYKANZE MAHABEYKANZE RAJA SAMUGATE SOHA (the mantra of the Medicine Buddha)
or
OM TARE TUTARE TURE SOHA (the mantra of the well-known female Buddha, Green Tara)

and blow them on her. Just recite 21x's and then blow them on her imagining that the Buddhas are blessing her.

If you don't like mantras then you could recite a short sutra or sutta for her or the protection verses from the Pali (which are a sutta).

You could also use aroma therapy (there is aroma therapy for cats) but you will need to talk to a holistic vet to find out which essence to use.

May neither of you ever have bad dreams again.

Kirt
Thanks. I've noticed that if I sing to her she gets pretty amused and if I talk gently she feels better any time. So mantras could be a great decision.
Anders

Post by Anders »

I find Om Mani Padme Hum dedicated to protecting a household against nightmares is generally quite effective.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Saoshun wrote:you want remedy for it or just sharing?
And what is the best remedy for unhappiness, unlove and not being yourself?
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Oh, I think I got the remedy. Amazing. Hah
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

gloriasteinem wrote:
Saoshun wrote:you want remedy for it or just sharing?
And what is the best remedy for unhappiness, unlove and not being yourself?
getting rid of yourself
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

No, actually love. It's a good remedy. Makes you happy :)
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

gloriasteinem wrote:No, actually love. It's a good remedy. Makes you happy :)
That which makes you happy is poison, that which perceive happiness can be expressed thru it naturally without any outside agent. If you are happy it will naturally turns out to be unhappiness and suffering with time in taji (yin and yang world of dualities of transformations.)
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Saoshun wrote:
That which makes you happy is poison, that which perceive happiness can be expressed thru it naturally without any outside agent. If you are happy it will naturally turns out to be unhappiness and suffering with time in taji (yin and yang world of dualities of transformations.)
Do you read sometimes what you write?
Motova

Post by Motova »

gloriasteinem wrote:
Saoshun wrote:

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... ccupations
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

quote="Motova"
gloriasteinem wrote:
Saoshun wrote:

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... ccupations"

And what is the mean people preoccupation, please? Making other people unhappy? Do you lose connection to reality while reading too much Buddhist philosophy? Because the last time I checked most people try to be happy and even seek enlightment or God's help for that and when they suffer too. And just not to forget some of them are happy in materialistic ways not simply love?

Do you usually tell someone happy, no you are not happy, you should feel miserable because that is a very unwholesome thing to do.
Motova

Post by Motova »

I'm not trying to be rude, but is English your mother tongue?

I suggest talking to a teacher or qualified student that shares your primary language.

:cheers:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

the point is that HOPING for happiness will bring suffering and FEARING unhappiness will bring suffering.
The mind that is aware of this is automatically happy, and so if we want to be happy, we need to let go of our hopes and fears.

Sorry about the confusion!

May all beings have the happiness that knows no suffering.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

My cat kicks when she dreams. I think she is just dreaming of chasing things, because that's what cats do.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Motova wrote:I'm not trying to be rude, but is English your mother tongue?

I suggest talking to a teacher or qualified student that shares your primary language.

:cheers:
Well tell that to the iPhone makers. In fact, can I actually quote you sometimes because it sounds as a very honest opinion on their keyboard+"autocorrect" functionality (that could be read ironically either).
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

seeker242 wrote:My cat kicks when she dreams. I think she is just dreaming of chasing things, because that's what cats do.
Wow, it's amazing that you could read cats' minds. Do you also talk to them, you know, on their own language? Also I never thought cats think "chasing things" is so bad for them so that they even have nightmares about it. Like chasing light dot or something? I thought they find it amusing, but obviously you know better. You should become a cat therapist! You sound so ... comforting and with lack of touch to reality.

Like most American therapists. No wonder they still cherish Freud. They can't find anyone better ever since and it's been hundred years already.
Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders »

I could be telling this story wrong but--

The head of the Martsang Kagyu (current) was with one of his teachers and a bird sang a beautiful song. He commented on it to his teacher and his teacher said it may sound pretty but how do you know the bird is not lamenting on the suffering of samsara?

Who knows? But that is one very wise human.

Love and Peace
'Lorem', 'Loren', 'Loren Enders'
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

the point is that HOPING for happiness will bring suffering and FEARING unhappiness will bring suffering.
The mind that is aware of this is automatically happy, and so if we want to be happy, we need to let go of our hopes and fears.
Letting go of hopes and fears still leaves you where you are--in samsara. Samsara con never be made comfortable. Instead I'd say we have to let go of our hopes and fears as we work towards Dharma. That way we aren't just standing still, the middle way and all...
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Return to “Help Required”