Love, hope and depression

Help required with personal difficulties.
gloriasteinem

Love, hope and depression

Post by gloriasteinem »

Ok, I am very sensitive to people and they often make me feel in specific way. I mean when you get in love you quickly feel the "aura" and the karma of that person. And sometimes it's good. It is lucky when someone you love have a positive, working, motivated and good in karma personality because it affects you in good ways. It happened to me once. To be honest, most of the time people I fall in love with are either lazy, or with "strange karma" that hits me back later. And it's horrible. Especially when I knew from the beginning. This time my own karma and personality was "hope and being active, doing things" (although I later had these problems I described in the previous topic but I even with them will continue to be this way). And then falling in love I became even more hopeful, I haven't experienced such thing from long time ago. It's like any clouds be it real or perceived in my life or in the world disappeared. For a while. I was incredibly happy for a time and maybe that's why I didn't comment on my topic, I forgot anything bad. It was gone. I really wanted to keep this because I thought, look, even in the End of times there could be so much hope, so much love here. And we could be happy as humans. And better as humans. Maybe overcome this stage not so painfully. I literary thought I was almost delusioned before for thinking things were too awful. I thought maybe I missed something in this world that makes us to go over it (the worse things), to cope. But of course (me not lucky) bad things happen again (I got even really sick this time with high fever, I am practically still having it), and at one point I felt like the one side (although happy one) of this love and also used. Very much used. And you know what, not even for sex, because women get used for sex, but for conceptual ideas. Or for some sort of a posture the other side had to make. And I feel sad, not that I am again alone (this happens all too often) but that I lost this sense of hope I found so much important. And I am in depression now I guess the worst depression ever since I don't usually get fever from depression. (Ok that's a mood swing, hope - depressive lack of hope) I just got depressed because I don't think I alone can sustain, for God's sake, that "hopefulness". :)
joy&peace

Re: Love, hope and depression

Post by joy&peace »

Sensitivity is a wonderful thing, but it does make life more difficult for a while, although the rewards are greater as well.

May you have peace and happiness, Gloria.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Thanks for expressing this.

You gave me a gift today because you reminded me of that good word.

I'm confident you're on the right track actually.

You seem to be having pain right now.

But positive ideas are also in your mind.

Just keeping hope in your mind is probably a virtuous action in itself.

But the path takes time.

You may need some assistance which is more immediate.

If you see someone injured on the side of the road it's not useful to go up to them and start talking about emptiness.

They need to be taken to the hospital and healed then they can start learning the next step.

Because you have these good things in your mind I'm confident there can be that kind of virtuous action for you, that is immediate.

Good people are around.
zengen

Post by zengen »

I hope you feel better from your depression. Whenever I feel I'm down, I find it helpful to chant mantras, whether out loud or silently in my mind or play the mantras on a CD or mp3 file. It can be any mantras. You have a picture of Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara, so it seems to me that you have karmic affinity with Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara.

Mind I suggest you chant Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara's six syllable mantra (or listen to the mantra on a CD or mp3 file), and see if it helps? :smile: :

Om mani padme hum

I find this version on youtube pretty nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_lNuNUVd4

With peace and love :namaste:
There is no meaning to cyclic existence.
muni

Post by muni »

I can only share simple words here.
Feel compassion for the experienced sad emotions. Take kindly care of you - the environment - the breath.
Or briefly said take care of all what is you and surrounding you together, and allow simple love to be.

If we expect love from outside we are suffering. A Master can show us the love inside us, by looking within the mind itself.
Therefore we should not seek it into minds’ projections, expecting love from others, which is what we use to do by our habits and which doesn't bring us lasting peace and love.

Looking within mind itself, within a little space-moment between two thoughts we can discover peace/love which shines always. Our practices and pointing outs can reveal this.

Be well, Gloria. :namaste:
SeeLion

Post by SeeLion »

It can be helpful to pick and choose where you invest your your "hopefulness".

For example, if you hope for impermanence, you will likely not get disappointed.
Yan

Post by Yan »

zengen wrote:I hope you feel better from your depression. Whenever I feel I'm down, I find it helpful to chant mantras, whether out loud or silently in my mind or play the mantras on a CD or mp3 file. It can be any mantras. You have a picture of Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara, so it seems to me that you have karmic affinity with Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara.

Mind I suggest you chant Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara's six syllable mantra (or listen to the mantra on a CD or mp3 file), and see if it helps? :smile: :

Om mani padme hum

I find this version on youtube pretty nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_lNuNUVd4

With peace and love :namaste:

Hello, I am new here and relatively new to Buddhist studies.
Please could someone explain this a little more or signpost me where to find out.
What does this mantra mean?
Also generally what mantras are/ are about?
I'm interested to learn more about where they come from, their purposes and meanings etc.
Thankyou for your time.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Hello,
Yan wrote:What does this mantra mean?
Mantras are not usually translated and when translated they often make no sense, but this is the mantra of Avalokiteshvara (Chenrezig in Tibetan) the bodhisattva of compassion.
Also generally what mantras are/ are about?
I'm interested to learn more about where they come from, their purposes and meanings etc
Mantras generally generate merit, although each mantra has a different purpose, for example Medicine Buddha mantras can cause healing. According to Lama Zopa Rinpoche the mani mantra generates merit and purifies your negative karma, you can read more here.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Return to “Help Required”