in control

Help required with personal difficulties.
gloriasteinem

in control

Post by gloriasteinem »

I desperately want to put things into control. That is what I like, I hold things into great control, sometimes in an a political, sometimes inhuman or superhuman way, or at least it looks like it now when I lost that control. Losing control is not good and I desperately try to gain it back, that one or the other one. I olways had it. For mine but mainly humankind good, I wouldn't have it otherwise I always have thought, its like it, its given by buddha. But now I cannot condense it. It looses itself badly, even basic self-control, vanishes, bad magic, bad faith, or karma. I prey, I wait, I hope, yet it gets better less quicker. I have a memory of many skillful ways but I don't have the enough power.
gloriasteinem

Re: in control

Post by gloriasteinem »

I could make one see, I could make one talk again but bringing inner peace bringing sanity where there isn't bringing it back is difficult. And I am horrified.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

You have to tame your mind. That is the only way.
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

tomamundsen wrote:You have to tame your mind. That is the only way.
Yeah, but also I've noticed aggression as a main problem in such cases, especially hidden aggression, it is still there and still corrupting and worsing karma. not addressing aggression is too very karmic, even in other people.
SeeLion

Post by SeeLion »

Well, first thing, control is not possible.

Then ... things are much better off if one doesn't control them.

Also, power corrupts, it's really overrated.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Try to control the clouds.
Or try to stop time.
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

SeeLion wrote:Well, first thing, control is not possible.
That's not true. One can tame one's mind if they practice Buddhadharma. When the mind is tamed, one has control over it. This is really high-level practice, though.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Unless you realize that it's really all karma at work, or you doing so wouldn't ever have been there.
How could there be an enactor when the I is down to a mirror? That's just like trying to grab the mirror image. Good luck :anjali:

Best wishes
Kc
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

[quote="gloriasteinem"... I don't have the enough power.[/quote]

Have faith.

Faith is one of the eleven virtuous mental states.

It supports determination.

Faith is admiration of, longing towards, and trust in that which is true.

And loving kindness is true.

It is out there, and it will find you.
SeeLion

Post by SeeLion »

That's not true. One can tame one's mind if they practice Buddhadharma.
Not according to my understanding.

Control is related to to desire, willpower, attachment, and a strong sense of self. Also, fear of losing control.

What you call "taming", I would call purifying. You are not taming the mind, you are just letting go of the garbage, dumping the ballast to allow the mind to become lighter.

Also, being peaceful does not require any power or energy.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Control is a term of art not only for right effort but the fruition of calm/insight, there's nothing wrong with it.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

My favourite view on control is this:

Control is an emotion that arises when you think that any observation you make in your environment was directly caused by your own ego. The closer the perceived link between environment and ego, the greater the feeling of control.

Best wishes
Kc
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

tomamundsen wrote:
That's not true. One can tame one's mind if they practice Buddhadharma. When the mind is tamed, one has control over it. This is really high-level practice, though.
Tom is basically right, though the word 'control' is very loaded and thinking of it as 'controlling one's mind' is of course dualistic and incorrect. However an adept is not at the mercy of his/her passions, is free of the worldly winds, etc. This is well accepted in all traditions.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to Gloria, though. I think desperately scrambling for control just sets us up for another failure. The attitude that I've found more helpful is gently slowly carefully attending to what we do and how we do it. Small steps in the right direction.

_/|\_
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Dan74 wrote: However an adept is not at the mercy of his/her passions, is free of the worldly winds, etc.
But would those traditions then still consider them "his" or "her" passions?
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Dan74 wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
Tom is basically right, though the word 'control' is very loaded and thinking of it as 'controlling one's mind' is of course dualistic and incorrect. However an adept is not at the mercy of his/her passions, is free of the worldly winds, etc. This is well accepted in all traditions.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to Gloria, though. I think desperately scrambling for control just sets us up for another failure. The attitude that I've found more helpful is gently slowly carefully attending to what we do and how we do it. Small steps in the right direction.

_/|\_
:good: yea, It's right and not right. The mind is never 'controlled' honestly. We just learn how to maneuver so that the mind becomes pacified all by itself. It's more about understanding your mind, than controlling it.

The best way to gain control in your life is to stop trying to control things, learn to accept things for how they are. Change the small things we can, let the rest go. By trying to do the impossible, we only add more suffering. "things should be X instead of X".

But if you can be happy with X, however it is, theres no longer a problem, and you don't need to control things anymore. Then again, the OP was very vague, so I'm not sure what she's really asking. :tongue:
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

You may say we're no longer disturbing the mind so it can return to its natural peace.

Best wishes
Kc
gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem »

Thanks for the great inside to all of you. I just want to say my name's Alex , Alexandra, Gloria Steinem is a famous feminist I took a nickname to use.

Return to “Help Required”