Anxiety issues

Help required with personal difficulties.
jon.timonsu.

Anxiety issues

Post by jon.timonsu. »

I've had anxiety problems for a little over two years now and I mainly wanted to write down my history partially for me and partially to maybe hear from others if I'm crazy or not.

I'm an American who was studying in Russia and developed pneumonia in February of 2015. I never had a serious illness before this instance. I stayed about 10 days in a little village hospital where I was told I had borderline diabetes but the nurses had taken my blood only five minutes after I had yogurt and a coke, so the test was skewed and after figuring out the issue the resulting tests were normal. I also found out I was born with only one kidney while I was in the hospital at this time. (I never needed any MRI's or ultrasounds because I functioned normally) Anyway, the testing equipment was the older Soviet or 1990's versions and they discovered that I had gallstones that probably needed to be removed. The antibiotics they gave me flushed all the bacteria out of my system and I developed flank pain and a 104 degree temperature. So I was rushed three hours away to Moscow to have surgery and the ER found out that there were no gallstones, the equipment just didn't pick up the picture as good as it should have. I stayed 3 more nights in an infections unit where I developed visual snow (and where really my anxiety symptoms started showing up) and finally they released me after not finding anything seriously wrong with me. Needless to say I developed a back case of anxiety attack that I constantly battle 24/7 almost. It's always in the back of my head. One of the reasons I was drawn back to Buddhism is that meditation has reduced my anxiety and makes it somewhat bearable. I had numerous tests done on me back in the States to check for issues but nothing serious has presented itself. I suffer from visual snow, chest palpitations and other various chest issues such as tightness and SVT which I'm on medication for. I haven't seen a psychologist or anyone in regards to my specific anxiety problems but I probably should do that. Anyway, the act of telling my anxiety story is therapeutic to me so thank you to all who read this long post.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Anxiety issues

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Jon,

As a psychologist (and a Buddhist) I recommend you see a psychologist or psychiatrist for your problem. A neurologist may also be a good idea, just in case your problem has a physical basis and just needs a vitamin B and amino acid supplement to set you straight.

The most effective and simple meditational technique for dealing with anxiety is breath mindfulness. This is in the case where your anxiety is not so extreme as to require medication.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
jon.timonsu.

Post by jon.timonsu. »

Thanks Grigoris! I've been to a neurologist and a neurosurgeon. It feels like I'm stuck in a revved up or low key fight or flight mode that I can sometimes keep to a minimum but other times I'm struggling to stay on top of it. Not to the point where I feel I'm losing control but to a worn out tired feeling. I don't really want to get on medication if it's possible with psychological issues but I'm to the point of where I might need to or at least consider it. Many thanks!
Sprouticus

Post by Sprouticus »

:anjali:

Grigoris offered very good advice. All I would like to add is that given your experiences with the Russian healthcare system, it is not surprising you are having anxiety attacks. I hope you find relief soon.
Namo Buddhaya
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

also yantra yoga man, it helps with this kind of problems.

best regards.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Help Required”