Sanskrit Buddhist Texts

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Nicholas Weeks

Sanskrit Buddhist Texts

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Here is one source for a few Buddhist texts in Sanskrit:

http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/sanskrit-tex ... ist-texts/

Those who know of other sites giving such Sanskrit Buddhist texts, add them to this thread.
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man. Only I or someone like me can assess a man.

Buddha in the Surangamasamadhi Sutra

Tom

Re: Sanskrit Buddhist Texts

Postby Tom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:21 pm

First five chapters of Yogacarabhumi compared to Tibetan:

http://www.downloads.prajnaquest.fr/Boo ... 5_1957.pdf
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man. Only I or someone like me can assess a man.

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Aryadeva's four verses on cosmogony with variant readings, translated with comments by David Reigle. See the 25 Dec. 2013 blog entry:

http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/

Here is first Nagarjuna's verse and then Aryadeva. Comments & clarifications of this cosmogonical outline, please:

Pañcakrama, chapter 3, verse 15:

asvatantraṃ jagat sarvaṃ svatantraṃ naiva jāyate |

hetuḥ prabhāsvaraṃ tasya sarva-śūnyaṃ prabhāsvaram ||

“The entire world is dependent [on a cause], for something independent can never arise. Its [the world’s] cause is luminosity (prabhāsvara); luminosity is the universal void (sarva-śūnya).”

Āryadeva’s four verses on cosmogony from the Svādhiṣṭhāna-prabheda that explain this more fully are:

prabhāsvarān mahā-śūnyaṃ tasmāc copāya-sambhavaḥ |

tasmād utpadyate prajñā tasyāḥ pavana-sambhavaḥ || 18 ||

18. From luminosity (prabhāsvara) [arises] the great void (mahā-śūnya), and from that is the arising of means (upāya). From that, wisdom (prajñā) is arisen. From that is the arising of air.

pavanād agni-sambhūtir agneś ca jala-sambhavaḥ |

jalāc ca jāyate pṛthvī sattvānām eṣa sambhavaḥ || 19 ||

19. From air is the arising of fire, and from fire is the arising of water; and from water, earth is born. This is the arising of living beings.

bhū-dhātur līyate toye toyaṃ tejasi līyate |

tejaś ca sūkṣma-dhātau ca vāyuś citte vilīyate || 20 ||

20. The earth element dissolves in water. Water dissolves in fire, and fire in the subtle element [air]. Air dissolves in mind (citta).

cittaṃ caitasike līyetāvidyāyāṃ tu caitasam |

sāpi prabhāsvaraṃ gacchen nirodho ’yaṃ bhava-traye || 21 ||

21. Mind will dissolve in the mental derivatives (caitasika), and the mental derivatives in ignorance (avidyā). This, too, will go to luminosity (prabhāsvara). That is the cessation of the triple world.

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:52 pm

Being fuzzy on cosmology the #18 of Aryadeva is virtually opaque in meaning for me.

From luminosity (prabhāsvara) [arises] the great void (mahā-śūnya), and from that is the arising of means (upāya). From that, wisdom (prajñā) is arisen.

The first three terms lead to wisdom arising... I am guessing that upaya is karma-phala or the root of it from some previous world. But the first two - I am clueless.

Anyone have some understanding?

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:15 am

Thanks mainly to Google guru, luminosity (prabhāsvara) seems to equate with dharmakaya or tathagatagarbha or ekayana. But all those terms require or imply a being or beings, is it not so?

Mahasunya is still a dark term.

Return to “Language”