bodhisattva vs bodhisatva

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Coëmgenu

Re: bodhisattva vs bodhisatva

Post by Coëmgenu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 pm

DGA wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:The Tibetans transliterate Sanskrit, much as we do using the Latin alphabet, using their alphabet and some special characters and diacritic type markings.
Obviously. Which means that there's no debate whether there should be one or two Ts, the debate is over the usage of Tibetan orthography.
sukhamanveti wrote:I think Duff's point must be that Tibetans tend to read the second half of the word as satva ("warrior") instead of sattva ("being"). This is true.
This makes a great deal of sense: it's not a mere orthographic distinction but a completely different word.
It's actually a quirk of Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit.

"āryya", with a geminated " y", for "ārya" is another frequent one, like in "āryyāvalokiteśvaro".

Check this out: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... 25_-_Draft
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.

吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

dzogchungpa

Re: bodhisattva vs bodhisatva

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:16 pm
I happen to have in front of me "From Turfan to Ajanta : festschrift for Dieter Schlingloff on the occasion of his eightieth birthday" which contains the paper "How to justify the spelling of the Buddhist hybrid Sanskrit term Bodhisatva?" by Gouriswar Bhattacharya. Apparently it was spelled 'bodhisatva' in many Buddhist texts and inscriptions, but in many modern editions of texts and studies this has been "corrected" or whatever.

BTW, this paper is now available online here.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Language”