My Dharma name

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Redfaery

My Dharma name

Post by Redfaery » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:47 pm

Geshe-la gave me the Dharma name Thupten Tsolho, and explained that it represented the goddess of learning and the Budda of teaching. I feel very moved by this name and its connotations as they were described to me, but I want to know more about it. Does anyone have any information?

Thank you.
:namaste:
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

dharmagoat

Re: My Dharma name

Post by dharmagoat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:35 pm

Redfaery wrote:Geshe-la gave me the Dharma name Thupten Tsolho, and explained that it represented the goddess of learning and the Budda of teaching. I feel very moved by this name and its connotations as they were described to me, but I want to know more about it. Does anyone have any information?
As far as I can figure out, "Thupten Tsolho" would be spelled ཐུབ་བསྟན་མཚོ་ལྷོ་ (thub bstan mtsho lho) in Tibetan.

According to the Rangjung Yeshe Dictionary:

ཐུབ་ (thub) means "the Buddha"
བསྟན་ (bstan) means "demonstration, instruction"
ཐུབ་བསྟན་ (thub bstan) means "the Buddha's teaching"
མཚོ་ (mtsho) means "ocean, lake"
ལྷོ་ (lho) means "south"

An internet search reveals that Tsolho མཚོ་ལྷོ་ (mtsho lho) is the name of a region in Tibet.

Unfortunately I can't find any reference to the goddess of learning. It is possible that I have the wrong spelling.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:36 am

Redfaery wrote:Geshe-la gave me the Dharma name Thupten Tsolho, and explained that it represented the goddess of learning and the Budda of teaching.
Did your Geshe know of your devotion to Saraswati?

My Tibetan is not very servicable but based on what you wrote:
tso = lake, lho/lha goddess => lake goddess or Saraswati (because she is depicted on a lake riding a swan in Tibetan Buddhism), the goddess of learning (and creativity, etc.)

BTW, here is a Praise of Saraswati written by Khyentse Chokyi Lodro:

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:51 am

ལྷོ་ (lho) will be an abbreviation of ལྷ་མོ་ (lha mo) meaning "goddess".

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:05 am

kirtu wrote:Did your Geshe know of your devotion to Saraswati?

My Tibetan is not very servicable but based on what you wrote:
tso = lake, lho/lha goddess => lake goddess or Saraswati (because she is depicted on a lake riding a swan in Tibetan Buddhism), the goddess of learning (and creativity, etc.)

BTW, here is a Praise of Saraswati written by Khyentse Chokyi Lodro:

Kirt
Thank you! I was thinking the "goddess of learning" was Sarasvati, but I wanted to be sure. I had spoken to another sangha member, and to the program coordinator as well about my devotion to Sarasvati, and how she led me to the Dharma. Geshe-la is rarely in town, and I have never spoken to him myself. But...I do believe he knows.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Personally, I've never see lho as an abbreviation for lha mo, but only as part of place names (where it usually refers to the southern direction, as already noted), and referring to the Lho clan. It is often the first part of names for high lamas (such as Lho Nuden Dorje or Lho Ontul Rinpoche) and important monasteries (like Lho Lungkar Gön and Lho Miyal Gön) in the Drikung lineage. Thus I have my doubts about Lho being short for Lhamo, especially since Lhamo is already pretty short and I've seen it used in plenty of Refuge names without it ever being abbreviated.

Alternatively, you could interpret the first element as jo, abbreviated for jo mo "noble lady, queen, goddess." Not sure exactly why, but there is a frequent shift in Tibetan from the 2nd row of consonants to the 4th row (ca -> tsa; cha -> tsha; ja/cha -> dza/tsha, etc.)---If you know the Tibetan syllabary, the only difference in the consonants of those two rows is an additional little flag on top in the 4th; otherwise they are identical.

This shift is especially common when Sanskrit words and names are Tibetanized (e.g. Jambhala becomes Dzambhala, transliteration of Bodhicitta becomes bo dhi tsi tta in Tibetanized mantras, etc.) I have heard Tsomo as a girl's name before, stemming from a dialectical form of Jomo.

The second element, which you mention as lho, might actually be slob from the verb slob pa "study, learn, train" (the same syllable as in slob pon "learned master," slob phrug "student," and slob sbyongs "mind-training, education, study"). Or it could be blo "mind, intellect, intelligence, understanding" (as in the names blo gros "unsurpassed intellect," and blo bzang "kind mind"). If the latter, it's most likely a short form of blo yi gter "mind treasure," an epithet of Saraswati (who, as mentioned before, is the goddess of learning).

I don't see a compelling reason that the first element of Tsolo should be mtsho "lake" since lake is nowhere in the translation given to you, and usually in Tibetan names it's the second element (e.g. rgya mtsho "ocean"). Guru Rinpoche in the form of mtsho skyes rdo rje "Lake-born Vajra" and Yeshe Tsogyal "Victorious Sea of [Primordial] Wisdom" seem to be the exception, rather than the rule.

If the geshe was making an oblique reference and gave you a figurative translation rather than a literal one, I suppose he could've meant mtsho byung lha mo "Lake-born Goddess" (i.e. Saraswati) as Kirt mentioned. Though if he meant Saraswati, one wonders why he didn't use her usual Tibetan name, Yangchenma (dbyangs chen ma). Who knows, perhaps figurative language is preferable over using the typical names of deities in Dharma names.

A reference to Yeshe Tsogyal (who was an emanation of Saraswati) seems unlikely unless given by a Nyingmapa/Dzogchenpa, though not out of the question since HHDL has made major inroads with Dzogchen in the Geluk school.

In the end, Redfaery, the only way to be sure is to let us have a look directly at the Tibetan written on your Refuge card, if there is any, and to hope that it's in legible Uchen script. I'm not great with the various forms of Umé, and total rubbish when it comes to the cursive Khyuyik.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:12 am

It seems that jo mo has exerted some influence on and been largely conflated with gtso mo, "principal [female] deity, chief dakini, woman of high birth, distinguished lady, noblest of females."

If I had to guess, I'd say your Dharma name is written as:

ཐུབ་བསྟན་གཙོ་སློབ།
(thu bstan gtso slob)

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:09 am

dharmagoat wrote:
Dharmagoat, where did you learn this? I've never heard of an abbreviation of ལྷ་མོ་ (lha mo)...

I've only ever seen དཀོན་མཆོག་ (dkon mchog) as དཀཽག་ (dko+og), and then only for a 3 word name to fit on a refuge card (without the ན་མཆ we save a bit of space).

Redfaery's name is only 2 words, and the abbreviation doesn't save much space (using ལྷོ་ lho means we're only missing མ་).

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Mon May 15, 2017 8:21 am

Palzang Jangchub wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:
Dharmagoat, where did you learn this? I've never heard of an abbreviation of ལྷ་མོ་ (lha mo)...
It was a guess based on the pattern of other abbreviations. I really should have made it clearer it was an uneducated guess. Oops.