Does Pema chodron know Tibetan language?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
prsvrnc

Does Pema chodron know Tibetan language?

Post by prsvrnc »

Can she read classical Tibetan?
Can she listen to and understand teachings in Tibetan?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Does Pema chodron know Tibetan language?

Post by Ayu »

I don't know, but here in Europe most nuns and monks know Tibetan language. It's a base for them.
If you look at Pema Chödron's biography and you see how many years she spend studying with venerable Tibetan teachers, it is hard to imagine she does not know the language.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pema_Chödrön#Biography

This one is functioning: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... edirect=no
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

I don't know about Pema Chodron, but there are many Westerners who have studied with topflight teachers for years and barely speak a word of Tibetan.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

tingdzin wrote:I don't know about Pema Chodron, but there are many Westerners who have studied with topflight teachers for years and barely speak a word of Tibetan.
True .

I think that she knows the basics, but not to a degree where she could translate texts for example.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It underscores for me how lucky we are to have Malcolm around. There are many solid and inspiring teachers who have no scholarly ambitions, there are are some sound and sympatico scholars , but those like the Loppon who combine both are few and far between.

Anyway :focus: apologies.

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

:good:

He is a treasure. A grumpy treasure but still a treasure.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Anyway he's away for a few days so i thought I would get that in before his return... ;)

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote::good:

He is a treasure. A grumpy treasure but still a treasure.
:good: :rolling: :good:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
prsvrnc

Post by prsvrnc »

Thank you. [This question] is part of my ongoing quest in researching the role/importance of learning Tibetan language with regards to bringing Buddhism (tibetan buddhism) to the West.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Aside from the fact if famous western teachers know the Tibetan language, it is precious to know it anyhow, because you can read the original scriptures and you can follow the native speech of the Lamas/Geshes/Rinpoches.
That must be an important help anyhow.
prsvrnc

Post by prsvrnc »

Ayu wrote:Aside from the fact if famous western teachers know the Tibetan language, it is precious to know it anyhow, because you can read the original scriptures and you can follow the native speech of the Lamas/Geshes/Rinpoches.
Well, yes. it would be.. one way to look at it might be... do we put XXX amount of energy into some kind of practice or do we put that same time/energy into studying Tibetan language?? it isn't financially the most feasible thing to go after these days. but i do see it being possible on the side or if someone was a monk/nun perhaps.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

prsvrnc wrote:
Ayu wrote:Aside from the fact if famous western teachers know the Tibetan language, it is precious to know it anyhow, because you can read the original scriptures and you can follow the native speech of the Lamas/Geshes/Rinpoches.
Well, yes. it would be.. one way to look at it might be... do we put XXX amount of energy into some kind of practice or do we put that same time/energy into studying Tibetan language?? it isn't financially the most feasible thing to go after these days. but i do see it being possible on the side or if someone was a monk/nun perhaps.
I think, this is an individual decision each.
For me it is clear, I will not learn it this lifetime, because as layperson I have some different priorities. And if a language should be learned, it is important to put enough effort and training into it. Without regular usage of that foreign language, it is useless to start learning. A waste of time and money.
On the other hand, if one is determined to learn and practice Tibetean, s/he will have a precious skill.
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Woul you not have to learn classical and modern Tibetan?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Caodemarte wrote:Woul you not have to learn classical and modern Tibetan?
I know about two persons who studied Tibetan. One studied very hard with much motivation and interest for 10 years. She is a wonderful translator now. And she reads all the dharma books in original Tibetan.
The other person studied for five years a littlebit every week, just a little, and just because it was a nice fun - besides her multiple work here, there and evrywhere. Until today she cannot speak freely one sentence.
So it is also a matter of interest, freetime and talent, I suppose.
emaho

Post by emaho »

Ayu wrote:The other person studied for five years a littlebit every week, just a little, and just because it was a nice fun - besides her multiple work here, there and evrywhere. Until today she cannot speak freely one sentence.
If she focuses on classical Tibetan that's normal and not a sign of lack of talent or discipline. It's a bit like studying Latin for years and still not being able to speak Italian...
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
Ayu wrote:The other person studied for five years a littlebit every week, just a little, and just because it was a nice fun - besides her multiple work here, there and evrywhere. Until today she cannot speak freely one sentence.
If she focuses on classical Tibetan that's normal and not a sign of lack of talent or discipline. It's a bit like studying Latin for years and still not being able to speak Italian...
Ah, interesting. :)
Maybe my discription sounded disparaging. No, she is the most wonderful person I can think of. It was due to her many duties, she had no time.
emaho

Post by emaho »

I think linguistically the difference between Latin and Italian is bigger than that between classical and modern Tibetan, but still, reading classical Tibetan and speaking modern Tibetan are really not the same thing. I can sympathize with your friend, I've studied classical Tibetan for some time, but I never really had much of an interest in speaking Tibetan or becoming a translator for either of them. And yes, like you say, it's very time consuming.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

If one learns classical, one can generally talk to lamas, because classical Dharma language is kind of a Tibetan Latin or a lingua franca that clerics usually know. There are a bewildering variety of dialects in modern Tibetan, so that Tibetans who only speak their own region's colloquial language will often not be understood by speakers from other regions. I get the impression that standard Central Tibetan is understood by most Tibetans in exile (but then, most of the younger generation also speak at least some and quite often a lot of English), but if you use it in Khams or Amdo you might have a little difficulty in remote places. If you are just interested in Dharma and don't have plans to become an interpreter or travel a lot in Asia, Classical is enough.
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

If you talk to Christians who are serious about their faith, in terms of theory and practice, they might not know the classical languages of Hebrew, Greek, etc., but they will sure know key terms in the root languages of the faith. I think it's the same with Tibetan Buddhism. Knowing key terms in Tibetan and Sanskrit is probably essential for the serious practitioner, and probably essential for the transmission of the tradition into other cultures. Just my IMHO, and one I've heard echoed again and again.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Urgyen Dorje wrote:If you talk to Christians who are serious about their faith, in terms of theory and practice, they might not know the classical languages of Hebrew, Greek, etc., but they will sure know key terms in the root languages of the faith. I think it's the same with Tibetan Buddhism. Knowing key terms in Tibetan and Sanskrit is probably essential for the serious practitioner, and probably essential for the transmission of the tradition into other cultures. Just my IMHO, and one I've heard echoed again and again.

I think you are right. Knowing the key terms in Sanskrit is extremely useful, and sometimes vital.
There are terms in Sanskrit which take a whole paragraph to translate into any modern European language, and even then subtleties are missed. Sanskrit is a meta-language. As is Pali.
A knowledge of the Tibetan equivalents is also very useful if you are a student of the Vajrayana.
Conversational everyday Tibetan is an optional , non -essential extra.

Return to “Language”