Tibetan Word of the Day

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
simhamuka

Re: Tibetan Word of the Day

Post by simhamuka »

kor-wa -- circumambulate

བསྐར་བ་
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

simhamuka wrote:kor-wa -- circumambulate

བསྐར་བ་
བསྐོར་བ.

You left off the naro.
simhamuka

Post by simhamuka »

Oops. Thank you.
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

compassion (n): སྙིང་རྗེ (snying rje) :heart:
emaho

Post by emaho »

nice thread. inspires me to study a bit of Tibetan language again.

discursive thinking - nam tog (རྣམ་རྟོག་ Wylie: rnam rtog)
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

zhang gstong ma - prostitute
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Glyn wrote:zhang gstong ma - prostitute
Nope. Correct spelling should be : gzhang tshong ma or gzhang 'tshong ma. This is of particular use since the literal meaning is she (ma) who sells ('tshong or tshong) her anus (gzhang). Not all prostitute sell that. Or maybe you wanted to refer to male prostitutes (gzhang (')tshong pa). dGa' byed ma (she who makes you happy) would be a more delicate way of referring to this kind of social service.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

mutsuk wrote:
Glyn wrote:zhang gstong ma - prostitute
Nope. Correct spelling should be : gzhang tshong ma or gzhang 'tshong ma. This is of particular use since the literal meaning is she (ma) who sells ('tshong or tshong) her anus (gzhang). Not all prostitute sell that. Or maybe you wanted to refer to male prostitutes (gzhang (')tshong pa). dGa' byed ma (she who makes you happy) would be a more delicate way of referring to this kind of social service.
I don't know the spelling, what I posted is what is used for that profession in a venacular sense in Tibetan speaking communities around the Himalayan region. It might not be, and probably isn't, something that would be used in "nice" social circles.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Glyn wrote:...It might not be, and probably isn't, something that would be used in "nice" social circles.
Why not?
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Ayu wrote:
Glyn wrote:...It might not be, and probably isn't, something that would be used in "nice" social circles.
Why not?
Because people have ideas about appropriateness of certain words, it's the same with how people would say prostitute or sex worker rather than hooker or similar.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

There is a helluva lot of expression to translate "prostitute" in Tibetan, some quite funny, some rather crude, others more poetic. As far as I can tell zhangtsongma (gzhang 'tshong ma) is rather specific if taken literally.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Let's hear a funny one. I could use some amusement.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

mutsuk wrote:There is a helluva lot of expression to translate "prostitute" in Tibetan, some quite funny, some rather crude, others more poetic. As far as I can tell zhangtsongma (gzhang 'tshong ma) is rather specific if taken literally.
It's the most commonly used one currently it seems.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

ཨེ་མ་ཧོཿ

EMAHO
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

ཨོཾ་ཨཱཿཧཱུྂ༔

OM AH HUNG

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Lotsāwa (ལོ་ཙཱ་བ།; Wyl. lo tsā ba), n.

Title used for the native Tibetan translators who worked together with Indian scholars (or paṇḍitas) to translate the major Buddhist texts into Tibetan from Sanskrit and other Asian languages. It is generally believed that it originated from loccava, itself a corruption of the Sanskrit lokacakṣu, literally meaning "eyes of the world."

Also used generally as a term for modern-day translator.

See jigten mikchik (ཇིག་རྟེན་མིག་གཅིག།; Wyl. jig rten mig gcig), a translation of the term lokacakṣu into Tibetan.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

བག་ཆགས (Wyl. bag chags) bakchak latent tendencies, habitual tendencies

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

ཏ་ཐཱ་ག་ཏ, Tathagata (Sanskrit)

: ta
ཐཱ : tha
: ga
: ta

However this is just direct transliteration from Sanskrit into Tibetan.

This can also be seen just as ཏ་ཐ་ག་ཏ, so without the little a under the , tha.

If you put ཏ་ཐ་ག་ཏ in the THLIB translation tool it will not parse it correctly (it will not recognize it as tathagatha). If you put in ཏ་ཐཱ་ག་ཏ, it will recognize it.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

དེ་བཞིན་གཤེགས་པ་, Tathagata (Tibetan), de zhin sheg pa

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Kunga Lhadzom already mentioned this one, but it merits repeating:

snying rje

This is one of my favorite words in Tibetan. The Dalai Lama explains it in a very powerful way in his Ethics for the New Millennium, amidst recounting the surge of compassion he felt when seeing the sea of shoes from victims at a Holocaust Museum. The meaning had resonated with me ever since reading that passage and having that same experience...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Language”