Dorje Dudulma in Sanskrit

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Palzang Jangchub

Dorje Dudulma in Sanskrit

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:10 pm

Currently having trouble translating one of Machik's names (back) into Sanskrit. Her form in Kechara is known as Dorje Dudulma (rdo rje bdud 'dul ma), but I can't find it rendered in Sanskrit in any of the texts I have.

It should be Vajramara_____ because dorje = vajra and dud = mara, but I can't figure out what "tamer" should be. Anyone know the name, or have a decent command of Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit and care to help me out?

Thanks.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Malcolm

Re: Dorje Dudulma in Sanskrit

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Karma Jinpa wrote:Currently having trouble translating one of Machik's names (back) into Sanskrit. Her form in Kechara is known as Dorje Dudulma (rdo rje bdud 'dul ma), but I can't find it rendered in Sanskrit in any of the texts I have.

It should be Vajramara_____ because dorje = vajra and dud = mara, but I can't figure out what "tamer" should be. Anyone know the name, or have a decent command of Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit and care to help me out?

Thanks.

Based on Mahavyutpatti. it is Varjamārajit.

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:48 pm

Muchas gracias! :thanks:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Why would someone assume that a Tibetan name must be based on an "original" Sanskrit? Granted, there were narrow-minded pedants in the New Translation schools who thought that everything in Tibetan Buddhism must come from Indian sources or it was not valid, but there are plenty of examples of "back translations" from Tibetan into Sanskrit which are obviously made up, and never existed in Indic languages.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:56 pm

tingdzin wrote:Why would someone assume that a Tibetan name must be based on an "original" Sanskrit? Granted, there were narrow-minded pedants in the New Translation schools who thought that everything in Tibetan Buddhism must come from Indian sources or it was not valid, but there are plenty of examples of "back translations" from Tibetan into Sanskrit which are obviously made up, and never existed in Indic languages.
In general, a name like rdo rje bdud 'dul ma will be based on a list of names handed out during an initiation. Apart from this though, your point is well taken.

As to your second point, it is well taken. For example, the endless confusion about the proper translation of sgra thal gyur since it was erroneously back translated as śabdaprasanga in the Derge Edition of the Nyingma Gyudbum.

Return to “Language”