Sanskrit ā- prefix (आ)

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Palzang Jangchub

Sanskrit ā- prefix (आ)

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

When used before a noun, is ā- (आ) ever simply a dative marker similar to the case ending -ya? The context I'm looking at it in makes it pretty clear that it's not the negating particle a- (अ).

Then again, I'm working with Tibetanized Sanskrit, so I suppose anything is possible...

This is the version of Monier Williams that is available to me: http://www.sanskrita.org/wiki/index.php?title=A

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
dzogchungpa

Re: Sanskrit ā- prefix (आ)

Post by dzogchungpa »

I was under the impression that it often functioned as a kind of intensifier, as in ānanda.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Palzang Jangchub

Some commentaries (e.g. Comm. on cf. Ragh. iii, 8) occasionally give to ā in this application the meaning samantāt, 'all through, completely', as ā-nīla, 'blue all round.'
I would think the above would be the case with Ānanda, out of all the definitions in Monier Williams, but then I'm limited to that resource.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Karma Jinpa wrote:
Some commentaries (e.g. Comm. on cf. Ragh. iii, 8) occasionally give to ā in this application the meaning samantāt, 'all through, completely', as ā-nīla, 'blue all round.'
I would think the above would be the case with Ānanda, out of all the definitions in Monier Williams, but then I'm limited to that resource.
Yes, it corresponds to the kun in kun dga'.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Palzang Jangchub

Thank you for pointing out the Tibetan equivalent. I hadn't really been considering that ā- could mean "completely, fully" until our back and forth here. Perhaps that could work just as much as the dative "to."

Would that make Kuntuzangpo an "all around excellent guy"?

:jumping:

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Karma Jinpa wrote:Would that make Kuntuzangpo an "all around excellent guy"?
Absolutely. :smile:

Return to “Language”