Phurga

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Palzang Jangchub

Phurga

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:07 am

Has anyone run across the word "phurga" in Tibetan before? It's supposed to be one of the names of the former incarnation of Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche, but no Wylie or Uchen is given, so I'm beginning to think that it's a mistake for Phurba.

Happy to be proven wrong or be directed to a resource that explains it, though. It could be an combination of two names put together, I suppose. Anyone willing to take a guess?

Right now all I can do is :shrug:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

ratna

Re: Phurga

Post by ratna » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 am

Karma Jinpa wrote:Has anyone run across the word "phurga" in Tibetan before? It's supposed to be one of the names of the former incarnation of Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche, but no Wylie or Uchen is given, so I'm beginning to think that it's a mistake for Phurba.

Happy to be proven wrong or be directed to a resource that explains it, though. It could be an combination of two names put together, I suppose. Anyone willing to take a guess?

Right now all I can do is :shrug:
phur dga' can be found here and there, I'm not sure what it's a contraction of.

R
Don't touch me while I'm tantric.

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:00 am

ratna wrote:phur dga' can be found here and there, I'm not sure what it's a contraction of.
That was my first guess if Phurga is accurate. Where did you find it?

Perhaps phur ba dga' rab? phur ba ga bra, since he was a famous doctor? Or could it be phur ba mga' 'gro, a misspelling for phur ba mkha' 'gro?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

ratna

Post by ratna » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 am

Karma Jinpa wrote: That was my first guess if Phurga is accurate. Where did you find it?
TBRC, Google Books, himalayabon.com.
Perhaps phur ba dga' rab? phur ba ga bra, since he was a famous doctor? Or could it be phur ba mga' 'gro, a misspelling for phur ba mkha' 'gro?
I'd guess phur is a contraction of Phur bu (Jupiter) which is more common in personal names.

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 pm

Thank you for directing me to TBRC (which, incidentally, has gotten a facelift and is now BDRC). There I found what I believe to be the answer to my first question.

In the Drikung Denrab Sertreng (Golden Rosary of Drikung Lineage Seats) by Tenzin Pemay Gyaltsen, i.e. "historical and biographical accounts of the successive lineage masters of the Drikung Kagyu," it says:

། འབྲོང་ངུར་བའི་བླ་མ་ཕུར་དགའ་ [་་་]
'brong ngur ba'i bla ma phur dga' [...]
Lama Phurga of Drong Ngur [...]
ratna wrote:I'd guess phur is a contraction of Phur bu (Jupiter) which is more common in personal names.
I noticed this was especially common in Kham, where children were named after the day of the week they were born on. Phurbu corresponds to Thursday, and I must admit that a name like "Happy Thursday" would certainly gel well with the current Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche's sense of humor!

However, even phur bu has come to be conflated with phur ba / phur pa, though with the additional definition of "tongues of flame." Gyalpo Rinpoche's both joking nature and wrathful activity are summed up equally nicely by "Happy Tongues of Flame," and "Happy [to] Stake [you]."

:rolling:

ratna

Post by ratna » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:01 am

Karma Jinpa wrote:
། འབྲོང་ངུར་བའི་བླ་མ་ཕུར་དགའ་ [་་་]
'brong ngur ba'i bla ma phur dga' [...]
Lama Phurga of Drong Ngur [...]
There you go. I also found a mention of Bla ma Phur dga' in the history of the Lho Lungkar Gön monastery: https://www.tbrc.org/#!rid=W00EGS1016678. I haven't had the time to dig deeper, but chances are there's more information in there about that lama.

R

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 pm

A connection with Lho Lungkar Gön makes sense, as that's where the current Gyalpo Rinpoche was educated and enthroned.

Return to “Language”