Confused - why are there 5 translations for "mountain"?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Westy

Confused - why are there 5 translations for "mountain"?

Post by Westy »

Hi all - I have been scouring the internet for a GTibetan translation of the word mountain, and have come up with 5. Can someone please tell me which is the most accurate, and also why there are so many? Here they are:

མོཨུནཏཻན

རི

ཀ་ཏ་ཀི

གངས

Thanks in advance :)
ratna

Re: Confused - why are there 5 translations for "mountain"?

Post by ratna »

Westy wrote:Hi all - I have been scouring the internet for a GTibetan translation of the word mountain, and have come up with 5. Can someone please tell me which is the most accurate, and also why there are so many? Here they are:

མོཨུནཏཻན

རི

ཀ་ཏ་ཀི

གངས

རི is correct. The first is a transliteration of the English word 'mountain'; the third one, I've no idea; the fourth means 'snow'; the fifth means 'a mountain pass'.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

I've found a couple of online tools and dictionaries listing the third one as "a generic name for mountain".

The Charles Bell English-Tibetan Dictionary agrees with རི for mountain
It also has an entry with the 4th and the 2nd together to make snowy mountain
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

ratna wrote:
Westy wrote:Hi all - I have been scouring the internet for a GTibetan translation of the word mountain, and have come up with 5. Can someone please tell me which is the most accurate, and also why there are so many? Here they are:

མོཨུནཏཻན

རི

ཀ་ཏ་ཀི

གངས

རི is correct. The first is a transliteration of the English word 'mountain'; the third one, I've no idea; the fourth means 'snow'; the fifth means 'a mountain pass'.
The third one is mis-spelled, the Ta should be reversed, and that is a Sanskrit generic word for "mountain."
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Westy

Post by Westy »

Thank you for the quick responses everyone - I originally thought that the first single character one was the correct one, and it was only while trying to verify that I came up with the others.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Ri is the most common Tibetan word for mountain.

Also, gang doesn't mean snow. It means snow mountain.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

pemachophel wrote:Ri is the most common Tibetan word for mountain.

Also, gang doesn't mean snow. It means snow mountain.

gangs means "snow that has fallen."

Gangs ri means "snow mountain,"

Kha ba means "falling snow."

Sometimes, though, you hear gangs 'babs pa which can be translated as "snow is falling."

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I should say, though, that sometimes gangs is used for "snow mountain, when one leaves out the ri.....for example, gangs dkar could mean
White Snow Mountain(s). It is also a proper noun, referring to a particular white snow mountain near Dardo Dzong. And gangs can gyi khrod means "Snow Mountain Region." Ri is left out here, as well.

Return to “Language”