'Bliss' in Sukkhavati and Sugata

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
iohannes

'Bliss' in Sukkhavati and Sugata

Post by iohannes »

Hello everyone,

I am near-ignorant of Sanskrit but :reading: having a bit of linguistics under my belt, I'm a bit
confused as to why the morpheme translated to mean bliss in sukkhavati (the Pure
Land) and sugata (one of the epithets of the Buddha) are different but similar:
'sukkha-' vs. 'su' :?:

Does the suffix '-kha' mean anything :?: :shrug:
Dharmic

Re: 'Bliss' in Sukkhavati and Sugata

Post by Dharmic »

iohannes wrote:Hello everyone,

I am near-ignorant of Sanskrit but :reading: having a bit of linguistics under my belt, I'm a bit
confused as to why the morpheme translated to mean bliss in sukkhavati (the Pure
Land) and sugata (one of the epithets of the Buddha) are different but similar:
'sukkha-' vs. 'su' :?:

Does the suffix '-kha' mean anything :?: :shrug:
Hi iohannes,

Here are some explanations. I'm quoting from what I read earlier, it may not be the thing you are looking for.
This is from Pāḷi, the Sanskrit tradition might define it in different ways.

First Sugata then Sukha :

Sugata : 'Well Gone' or 'Gone to Bliss' i.e. one who has reached a happy state of existence.

He is called Sugata (Sublime One) because of being gone to an excellent place( sundaraṃ ṭhānam gatattā )

Sundarañcesa ṭhānaṃ gato amataṃ nibbānanti sundaraṃ ṭhānaṃ gatattāpi sugato

It is to the excellent (sundara) place that He has gone (gata), to the deathless Nibbāna - thus He is sublime (sugata) (because of having gone to an excellent place)

Sugato sugatattānam
Sugato sundaram pi ca
Nibbānaṃ sugatiṃ yan ti
Sugato nāma to namo

He is Sugata being self-disciplined,
Being beautiful He is Sugata,
In the sense of going to the good state of Nibbāna,
To Thee, the Sugata, my homage be.

(-Nava Guṇa Gāthā : The Hymn of Nine Virtues)

{ Apart from this there are many explantions in the Visuddhimagga (Pg.196)

Further reading : Buddhānussatikathā — Sugato – Which Speech does a Buddha Utter ? }

Sukha from the same text (Pg.139):

suṭṭhu vā khādati, khanati ca kāyacittābādhanti sukhaṃ

It thoroughly (SUṭṭhu) devours (KHĀdati), consumes (KHAṇati), bodily (kāya) and mental (citta) affliction, thus it bliss (sukha).

Sukha/sukhāvatī in the Sūtras,

Ārya-Sukhāvatīvyūha-Nāma-Mahāyāna-Sūtra :
Śāriputra kena kāraṇena sā lokadhātuḥ sukhāvatītyucyate ? tatra khalu punaḥ śāriputra sukhāvatyāṃ lokadhātau nāsti sattvānāṃ kāyaduḥkhaṃ na cittaduḥkham | apramāṇānyeva sukhakāraṇāni | tena kāraṇena sā lokadhātuḥ sukhāvatītyucyate ||

The Bhagavat said: O Śāriputra, why is that land called Utmost Bliss? The beings in that land suffer no physical (kāya) or mental (citta) suffering, but only limitless reasons for happiness/enjoy pleasures of various kinds. For this reason, that land is called Utmost Bliss (sukhāvatī).
:anjali:
May the supreme Bodhicitta
That has not arisen, arise and grow;
And may that which has arisen not diminish
But increase more and more.

Return to “Language”