sem-ngo tropa ?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
kirtu
Former staff member

sem-ngo tropa ?

Post by kirtu »

The equivalent to kensho in TB is known as sem-ngo tropa.
A well-know translator mentioned the above to me.

Of course it has to be something like sems ngo tropa to start with. But the Thlib Translation Tool does not recognize "tropa". However the THL transcription semngo tröpa = THL transliteration sems ngo sprod pa/ = སེམས་ངོ་སྤྲོད་པ . But this is usually translated as "gave mind transmission" and maybe "[gave]pointing out" too.

One dictionary gives ་ངོ་སྤྲོད་པ་ as
introduction, direct introduction; to point out, introduce, bring face to face; direct introduction, pointing out; to introduce, point out directly; to give pointing out instructions, introduce the nature of mind.
TH ངོ་སྤྲོད་ = identify, introduce, point out

So if one accepts "identify" above, could སེམས་ངོ་སྤྲོད་པ also mean "one who identifies the nature of mind", with སེམས in this context meaning nature of mind or mind essence rather than defiled discursive mind?

I did respond to the translator with a few questions and am waiting to hear back but I hope that experts here could help illuminate the term. In what contexts is this term usually used, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: sem-ngo tropa ?

Post by kirtu »

kirtu wrote: with སེམས in this context meaning nature of mind or mind essence rather than defiled discursive mind?
I was going to change this but went over the editing limit ....

So
with སེམས་ངོ as nature of mind.
If so then the term may be like a compound word སེམས་ངོ་ + ངོ་སྤྲོད་ + པ་ => སེམས་ངོ་སྤྲོད་པ = (in this case) one who identifies/identified the nature of mind which is like kensho.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

dzogchungpa wrote:How about sems ngo 'phrod pa?
I had seen sems ngo 'phrod while I was researching the above and it looked promising but the Ranjung Yeshe Online Dharma Dictionary didn't have sems ngo 'phrod pa ( it just listed sems ngo 'phrod and sems ngo 'phrod song pas). And then the tie-in with sems rtogs pa !

Thanks!

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:How about sems ngo 'phrod pa?
I had seen sems ngo 'phrod while I was researching the above and it looked promising but the Ranjung Yeshe Online Dharma Dictionary didn't have sems ngo 'phrod pa ( it just listed sems ngo 'phrod and sems ngo 'phrod song pas). And then the tie-in with sems rtogs pa !

Thanks!

Kirt

What Eric PK meant was that the experience of Kensho and the experience of introducing the mind is the same experience. The difference of course is that the latter is a discovery, the former is an introduction.

Return to “Language”