Tibetan words

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
tingdzin

Re: Tibetan words

Post by tingdzin »

Thanks, these are great!
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

Good to keep in mind that this is a Ladakhi publication and that there are often different translations in use in the Tibetan areas of the PRC, especially as it pertains to things introduced in the 20th century.
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:56 am Good to keep in mind that this is a Ladakhi publication and that there are often different translations in use in the Tibetan areas of the PRC, especially as it pertains to things introduced in the 20th century.
Looking closely, it was published by one of the Khangsten's of Drepung Loseling and printed in Ladakh - which doesn't make it Ladakhi.

Tibetan areas of the PRC or Chinese-occupied areas of Tibet :thinking:
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

Bristollad wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:11 am Looking closely, it was published by one of the Khangsten's of Drepung Loseling and printed in Ladakh - which doesn't make it Ladakhi.
I didn't say it was Ladakhi, but there are regional differences in written Tibetan (not to even mention the many differences in the spoken Tibetan varieties), especially with regards to foodstuffs and technologies introduced in modern times. I spotted a couple when I went over the lists.
Tibetan areas of the PRC or Chinese-occupied areas of Tibet :thinking:
The political reality at the moment is that those are PRC controlled territories. We may wish it otherwise (and I do, or at least for there to be genuine autonomy in the so-called autonomous regions), but absent any major geopolitical shifts, and there are presently no international governmental backers of Tibetan independence giving any material support for independence, those regions remain part of the PRC.
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:37 pm I didn't say it was Ladakhi
mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:56 am Good to keep in mind that this is a Ladakhi publication
Hmmm, maybe it's not just in Tibetan where there are regional differences

But yes, Tibetan is a language with much regional variety. And the populations in Chinese-controlled areas and the Tibetan diasapora are also sometimes diverging with regards to modern terms chosen as well.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

Bristollad wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:03 pm
mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:37 pm I didn't say it was Ladakhi
mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:56 am Good to keep in mind that this is a Ladakhi publication
Hmmm, maybe it's not just in Tibetan where there are regional differences
Excuse my lack of clarity. Ladhaki is a multivalent term. It refers to both the region of Ladakh and to the Ladakh language. In the first case I said it with the meaning it was a publication from Ladakh with the intended entailment will most likely differ from that of the modern Tibetan(s) of the PRC. In the second, I said it with the intended meaning of it isn't Ladakhi
But yes, Tibetan is a language with much regional variety. And the populations in PRC-controlled areas and the Tibetan diasapora are also sometimes diverging with regards to modern terms chosen as well.
This happens between Tibetan regions in the PRC as well. The point I was trying to make, before we descended into ant-f-u-c-k-e-r-y, was to point out that there is a lot of variation in the Tibetan languages, including the Modern written varieties which people often consider to be uniform even when acknowledging the macro-regional and micro-regional differences.

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

:focus:
The best meditation is no meditation
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

A very important word in our world of today.

Tu Che Che - 00.jpeg
Tu Che Che - 00.jpeg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
kalden yungdrung

Hello - 00.jpg
Hello - 00.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
TA-SHEE-DAY-LAY - HELLO
kalden yungdrung

How are you - 00.jpg
How are you - 00.jpg (3.31 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
KOO-SOO DAY-BO-YIN-PAY HOW ARE YOU?
kalden yungdrung

I am well - 00.jpg
I am well - 00.jpg (1.96 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
NGA DAY-BO YIN - I AM WELL
kalden yungdrung

See you later - 00.jpg
See you later - 00.jpg (1.37 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
JAY-YONG - SEE YOU LATER
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

Without the Tibetan alphabet it is hard to start Tibetan as well other languages.

kalden yungdrung

Return to “Language”