thugs kyi dgongs pa

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
dharmafootsteps

thugs kyi dgongs pa

Post by dharmafootsteps »

I'm trying to understand the phrase thugs kyi dgongs pa. In context it's:

ཐུགས་ཀྱི་དགོངས་པ་རིག་པ་རང་ཤར་གྱི་ངོ་བོ་བདག་ལ་
thugs kyi dgongs pa rig pa rang shar gyi ngo bo bdag la

The translation I have is: "(they) direct (their) minds, the quintessence of self-manifest awareness, towards me"

The second part is fine with me, but does that seem right for thugs kyi dgongs pa? I'm having trouble unpacking that part. I feel like some of the sense of dgongs pa is being lost, but I'm not quite sure how to express it.
Temicco

Re: thugs kyi dgongs pa

Post by Temicco »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 am I'm trying to understand the phrase thugs kyi dgongs pa. In context it's:

thugs kyi dgongs pa rig pa rang shar gyi ngo bo bdag la

The translation I have is: "(they) direct (their) minds, the quintessence of self-manifest awareness, towards me"

The second part is fine with me, but does that seem right for thugs kyi dgongs pa? I'm having trouble unpacking that part. I feel like some of the sense of dgongs pa is being lost, but I'm not quite sure how to express it.
Is it definitely supposed to be a full sentence?
"Deliberate upon that which does not deliberate."
-Yaoshan Weiyan (tr. chintokkong)

若覓真不動。動上有不動。
"Search for what it really is to be unmoving in what does not move amid movement."
-Huineng (tr. Mark Crosbie)

ཚེ་འདི་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ཆོས་པ་མིན། །
འཁོར་བ་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ངེས་འབྱུང་མིན། །
བདག་དོན་ལ་ཞེན་ན་བྱང་སེམས་མིན། །
འཛིན་པ་བྱུང་ན་ལྟ་བ་མིན། །
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Temicco wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:28 am Is it definitely supposed to be a full sentence?
Doesn't seem to be.
Temicco

Post by Temicco »

tingdzin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:32 am
Temicco wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:28 am Is it definitely supposed to be a full sentence?
Doesn't seem to be.
That was my thought too...

若覓真不動。動上有不動。
"Search for what it really is to be unmoving in what does not move amid movement."

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Keep in mind that the first phrase refers to the honorific "thugs" which is not just "mind," but potentially "Buddha's Mind," or Enlightened Mind. It can, however, refer to one's own mind in some instances, esp. when one is contemplating something.

This is not a full sentence, so the full context is missing. As for "rig pa rang shar kyi ngo bo" "the quintessence of self-manifest awareness" is okay, but I would gloss the whole phrase as "taking as the object of contemplation, (Or as the "intent of contemplative mind") the essence of one's self-manifest Vidya...." Not merely "Awareness," but a knowledge of a specific sort of awareness.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:50 pm ཐུགས་ཀྱི་དགོངས་པ་རིག་པ་རང་ཤར་གྱི་ངོ་བོ་བདག་ལ་

Keep in mind that the first phrase refers to the honorific "thugs" which is not just "mind," but potentially "Buddha's Mind," or Enlightened Mind. It can, however, refer to one's own mind in some instances, esp. when one is contemplating something.

This is not a full sentence, so the full context is missing. As for "rig pa rang shar kyi ngo bo" "the quintessence of self-manifest awareness" is okay, but I would gloss the whole phrase as "taking as the object of contemplation, (Or as the "intent of contemplative mind") the essence of one's self-manifest Vidya...." Not merely "Awareness," but a knowledge of a specific sort of awareness.
dgongs pa here is not "intent," abhipraya. but samanvāhāra, which means something like "focuses on," "directed to," etc.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 pm
conebeckham wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:50 pm ཐུགས་ཀྱི་དགོངས་པ་རིག་པ་རང་ཤར་གྱི་ངོ་བོ་བདག་ལ་

dgongs pa here is not "intent," abhipraya. but samanvāhāra, which means something like "focuses on," "directed to," etc.
Thanks! So, my initial gloss (leaving out the parenthetical re "intent"") works for you?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Temicco

Post by Temicco »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 pm dgongs pa here is not "intent," abhipraya. but samanvāhāra, which means something like "focuses on," "directed to," etc.
Is this text a translation from Sanskrit, or is there something else that impels a Sanskrit gloss of the Tibetan?

若覓真不動。動上有不動。

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Temicco wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:50 am
Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 pm dgongs pa here is not "intent," abhipraya. but samanvāhāra, which means something like "focuses on," "directed to," etc.
Is this text a translation from Sanskrit, or is there something else that impels a Sanskrit gloss of the Tibetan?
Yes, well said.
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Thanks all for the input. The phrase is part of a long, run-on sentence, so I just posted the clause I was interested in to try to simply things - it seems that just made it more confusing though.

It's from "Awakening at Dawn from the Sleep of Unknowing". I just found another translation by EPK here: https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/teachings/a ... unknowing/
That's very helpful, thanks Malcolm. I didn't know it could take that meaning.

Return to “Language”