idea to translate the word dharma

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Supramundane

idea to translate the word dharma

Post by Supramundane »

i think i came up with a good translation of the word "dharma" which is polysemantic and thus defies any literal translation.

but how about:

fundament

i think that captures many of the nuances of the word.

PS Fundament-bums doesn't sound as kick-ass as 'dharma-bums' but no translation is perfect i guess.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: idea to translate the word dharma

Post by Wayfarer »

Unfortunately, if you check the etymology of 'fundament' in English, I think you will find it also refers to the gluteus maximus, otherwise known as the buttock. :emb: It kind of stands to reason, but detracts from its overall usefulness as a word.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Natan

Post by Natan »

Held
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 am Unfortunately, if you check the etymology of 'fundament' in English, I think you will find it also refers to the gluteus maximus, otherwise known as the buttock. :emb: It kind of stands to reason, but detracts from its overall usefulness as a word.
well then Wayfarer, it doesn't stand but sits to reason i guess lol.

perhaps the translator can put in square brackets [NOT THE BUTTOCKS].

"...From this we can learn the Dharma [NOT THE BUTTOCKS]..."

but this hardly seems feasible.

hmmm.... i will have to go back to the drawing board then on this one.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I don’t know if ‘dharma’ really needs translation. It’s one of those words which I think has become part of globalised English to the point where the average educated person would have at least some idea of what it stands for.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Supramundane wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:36 am i think i came up with a good translation of the word "dharma" which is polysemantic and thus defies any literal translation.

but how about:

fundament

i think that captures many of the nuances of the word.

PS Fundament-bums doesn't sound as kick-ass as 'dharma-bums' but no translation is perfect i guess.
Tashi delek,

Dharma / Dhamma can have different meanings.

- It can be related to the teachings of the Buddha Shakyamuni ( To hold / keep them)
- It can be related to "phenomena" like objects.

The Classical Sanskrit noun dharma (धर्म) or the Prakrit Dhaṃma (𑀥𑀁𑀫) are a derivation from the root dhṛ, which means "to hold, maintain, keep",[note 3] and takes a meaning of "what is established or firm", and hence "law". It is derived from an older Vedic Sanskrit n-stem dharman-, with a literal meaning of "bearer, supporter", in a religious sense conceived as an aspect of Rta.[16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharma
The best meditation is no meditation

Return to “Language”