Japanese translation help

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Japanese translation help

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:32 am

A family member who visited Japan came back with a small plaque for me. He got it at a temple shop in Tokyo (it apparently claimed to be "the oldest temple in Tokyo", but I don't know its name) and I suspect it is a house blessing of some kind. Can someone tell me, and tell me where it would/should be displayed?
The image shows the golden plaque still in, and partly covered by, its decorative wrapping (I don't want to take it out until I have somewhere safe to put it) and the envelope it came in.

Thanks

:namaste:

Kim

Japanese plaque.jpg
Japanese plaque.jpg (304.67 KiB) Viewed 686 times

FromTheEarth

Re: Japanese translation help

Post by FromTheEarth » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 pm

It is from the 金龍山浅草寺 Kinryū-zan Sensō-ji, one of the most popular tourist attractions in Tokyo.
It is blessed by a homa/goma ritual dedicated to Aryavalokiteshvara (奉修觀音護摩供) and is intended to protect the family (家内安全).

I do not actually read Japanese but it seems suggested that you either place it on your altar or somewhere high in your house.
You should definitely take it out of the envelope/bag but I tend to think the white paper around it and the golden belt are actually an integral part of it. Anyone who is more acquainted with the Japanese language and tradition, please kindly correct me. :anjali:

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:38 pm

:thanks:

:namaste:
Kim

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:44 am

What FromTheEarth says is correct.

And I think the siddham character on top, is it 'sa' - same 'sa' as in medicine buddha mantra "三沒揭帝" (but in siddham)

Return to “Language”