Garchen rinpoche Yamantaka Empowerment Livestream

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
Miroku

Garchen rinpoche Yamantaka Empowerment Livestream

Post by Miroku » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:27 am

Found on Garchen Institute FB page.

Yamantaka Empowerment Livestream
February 18th, 2017, 2 pm MST

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eMg77mH49K6
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

pael

Re: Garchen rinpoche Yamantaka Empowerment Livestream

Post by pael » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:26 am

What are prerequisite and requirements for receiving this? What are commitments after empowerment? Are participants allowed to register here http://yamantaka.org/? I mean for livestream participants.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:51 pm

There are no prerequisites, no registration needed, just show up on the live-stream. If you attend, Garchen will tell you what to do afterwards...no sadhana required usually, keep your mind filled with love and say the mantra when you can, nothing really structured is required.

pael

Post by pael » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:54 am

How long streaming will be?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:54 pm

pael wrote:How long streaming will be?
Normally about 90 minutes. There are normally other teachings, before or after the empowerment, which are relevant to the empowerment.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

K Tsomo

Post by K Tsomo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Miroku wrote:Found on Garchen Institute FB page.

Yamantaka Empowerment Livestream
February 18th, 2017, 2 pm MST

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eMg77mH49K6
So you did attend the other empowerment. And you connected.
I am happy you bring news of Rinpoche teaching.
:heart:

pael

Post by pael » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Normally about 90 minutes. There are normally other teachings, before or after the empowerment, which are relevant to the empowerment.
I have only 2hour. It is night here when it is streamed.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:19 pm

pael wrote:
Grigoris wrote:
You can watch the recordings, but the empowerment is live or nothing! Though Garchen Rinpoche has said in the past that one can receive empowerment from recordings too. ;)

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:48 pm

K Tsomo wrote: I am happy you bring news of Rinpoche teaching.
:heart:
I wish I did, unfortunately I caught flu and it was impossible for me to attend teachings for 2 days, as my mind was blurred and I had trouble staying awake. :D However I found out that developing bodhicitta and praying to guru helped a lot, so I am filled with hope that I will be able to follow rinpoche in the future and finally receive full teaching from him. :)
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Grigoris wrote:
pael wrote:
Grigoris wrote:Normally about 90 minutes. There are normally other teachings, before or after the empowerment, which are relevant to the empowerment.
You can watch the recordings, but the empowerment is live or nothing! Though Garchen Rinpoche has said in the past that one can receive empowerment from recordings too. ;)

Pael, in the past Garchen Rinpoche has said that if something goes wrong with the live-stream,
just stay in meditation and you will receive everything.
He is Very Aware of the live-stream audience. Stay as long as you can in the live-stream and trust Garchen R. to give you the rest. Make a heart connection with him, and tell him you can only stay two hours.
He is very psychic, he hears those prayers.
He says he can give Empowerments from recordings, so the last half-hour of a live-stream should be no problem.
When you have to leave, stay connected in your heart. Usually that last half-hour is watching people go up for the empowerment, the ritual is usually over by then.

And yes you can register at yamantaka.org, I did.

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Lhasa wrote:And yes you can register at yamantaka.org, I did.
Not much of a reason to register there, to be honest. Their site, as it says on the homepage, is focused on the Gelukpa practice of buffalo-headed Vajrabhairava (Dorjé Jigjé), whereas the form practiced in Drikung is a unique Yamantaka (Shinjé Shé) that stems from Nyingma sources such as Nubchen Sangye Yeshé. The main difference from the form known as Jampal Ku in Guru Rinpoche's Kagyé (the typical Nyingma version) is that this Yamantaka is wingless.

Basically, apart from general information (e.g. Yamantaka is a wrathful form of Manjushri) and the same short essence mantra, they're dealing with a different form from another lineage. Thus specifics won't correlate to the Yamantaka received from Garchen Rinpoche.

This is the one you want, though don't ask me why Himalayan Art classifies him as Krishna Yamari, which translates as "Black Enemy of Yama," rather than "Slayer of Yama": http://www.himalayanart.org/search/sear ... mit=Search

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Tārāmitra

Post by Tārāmitra » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but is the general consensus in Vajrayana nowadays that empowerments transmitted using the support of internet communications are fully effective? Perhaps there is a thread somewhere about this topic.
“What leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to higher knowledge, to enlightenment, to liberation: that I have not declared.”
Buddha Śākyamuni, Teacher of Gods and Men

{Formerly known as Vidyavajra}

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Vidyavajra wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but is the general consensus in Vajrayana nowadays that empowerments transmitted using the support of internet communications are fully effective? Perhaps there is a thread somewhere about this topic.
No, there is no consensus on this matter.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

—Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle, Longchenpa.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Vidyavajra wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but is the general consensus in Vajrayana nowadays that empowerments transmitted using the support of internet communications are fully effective? Perhaps there is a thread somewhere about this topic.
There are a number of them, but they all come down to the argument: My teacher says that... But my teacher says that...

Tārāmitra

Post by Tārāmitra » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Should one not be able to verify from personal experience if an empowerment has actually been effective, though? It is not merely some ceremonial formality; either it works or it does not.
“What leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to higher knowledge, to enlightenment, to liberation: that I have not declared.”

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Vidyavajra wrote:Should one not be able to verify from personal experience if an empowerment has actually been effective, though? It is not merely some ceremonial formality; either it works or it does not.
You think that everybody that goes to a "live" empowerment experiences the fruit of the practice?

Tārāmitra

Post by Tārāmitra » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Vidyavajra wrote:Should one not be able to verify from personal experience if an empowerment has actually been effective, though? It is not merely some ceremonial formality; either it works or it does not.
You think that everybody that goes to a "live" empowerment experiences the fruit of the practice?
Not at all. But a few cases would be enough to verify that such an empowerment can be efficient. I'm not decided on the matter but keep an open mind.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Vidyavajra wrote:
Grigoris wrote:
Not at all. But a fewcases would be enough to verify that such an empowerment can be efficient. I'm not decided on the matter but keep an open mind.
Well, I think the reason this question comes up so often is that it is not clear what it means to say that an empowerment is efficient, i.e. it is not clear what the effect is supposed to be, at least to me.
It takes a great being to be daring enough to cultivate a bad reputation. - Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:32 pm

If a teacher I trust enough to take teachings from thinks it is sufficient, that is enough for me. I would and do go in person to anything I can, but I am glad that some teachers make themselves available in this way, and consider it quite a fortunate circumstance.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:If a teacher I trust enough to take teachings from thinks it is sufficient, that is enough for me. I would and do go in person to anything I can, but I am glad that some teachers make themselves available in this way, and consider it quite a fortunate circumstance.
Indeed! Especially for those in remote locations and/or with little money.