Dzongsar Khyentse Losar Resounding + Lung Livestream Feb 26/27

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
dzogchungpa

Dzongsar Khyentse Losar Resounding + Lung Livestream Feb 26/27

Post by dzogchungpa »

http://www.siddharthasintent.org/about- ... -on-losar/
During the Resounding, Rinpoche will be giving the oral transmissions of: Kagyu Ngondro, Longchen Nyingthik Ngondro, and Chetsun Nyingthik Ngondro.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Boomerang

Re: Dzongsar Khyentse Losar Resounding + Lung Livestream Feb 26/27

Post by Boomerang »

What is the significance of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche giving those lungs? Would it make everyone who watches the livestream his ngondro students?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Boomerang wrote:What is the significance of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche giving those lungs? Would it make everyone who watches the livestream his ngondro students?
Well, I'm not an expert on the topic but I think the idea is that, traditionally, before beginning to practice a ngondro one should receive the lung and having done so, one may begin to practice it without further empowerment or whatever. Perhaps not all schools agree on this, I don't know. It's not clear what you mean by saying that someone who receives a lung in this way from DJKR would be his ngondro student. Personally, I would not say that unless you had actually received instruction from him about ngondro. Perhaps he will say something about it doing the program.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I remember reading a surprising blurb from DJKR about ngondro without having really chosen a guru. The gist of his advice was that if people have not yet chosen a guru, but earnestly want to be begin ngondro, they should not be dissuaded. Maybe related, maybe not.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Does anyone by any chance have a Chetsun Nyingthik Ngondro text, Tibetan and/or English, handy?
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Boomerang wrote:What is the significance of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche giving those lungs? Would it make everyone who watches the livestream his ngondro students?
Well, I'm not an expert on the topic but I think the idea is that, traditionally, before beginning to practice a ngondro one should receive the lung and having done so, one may begin to practice it without further empowerment or whatever. Perhaps not all schools agree on this, I don't know. It's not clear what you mean by saying that someone who receives a lung in this way from DJKR would be his ngondro student. Personally, I would not say that unless you had actually received instruction from him about ngondro. Perhaps he will say something about it doing the program.
What I meant was, since there's no Vajrayana without a guru, he would have to be the guru, right? The focus of guru yoga, the person you seek out after you're finished ngondro, etc.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Boomerang wrote:What I meant was, since there's no Vajrayana without a guru, he would have to be the guru, right? The focus of guru yoga, the person you seek out after you're finished ngondro, etc.
Well, I'm not really qualified to comment on this. If you trust DJKR, then per JD's remark, you should be able to begin practicing the ngondro after receiving the lung. As far as the focus of guru yoga, presumably you can just use Guru Rinpoche, but again don't take my word for it. Anyway, if you really want to practice Vajrayana you will need to make a connection with a guru and follow his or her advice, not mine. :smile:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Doesn't answer the specific question , but:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/138223141/Dz ... om-podcast

-Khunu Lama
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Boomerang wrote:What I meant was, since there's no Vajrayana without a guru, he would have to be the guru, right? The focus of guru yoga, the person you seek out after you're finished ngondro, etc.
Well, I'm not really qualified to comment on this. If you trust DJKR, then per JD's remark, you should be able to begin practicing the ngondro after receiving the lung. As far as the focus of guru yoga, presumably you can just use Guru Rinpoche, but again don't take my word for it. Anyway, if you really want to practice Vajrayana you will need to make a connection with a guru and follow his or her advice, not mine. :smile:
Before today, I thought that receiving lung meant you were allowed to read a tantric text, but to practice the tantra you also need empowerment and instruction. But is ngondro different? I don't know for sure, but they had the announcement that he was giving lung in bold, so it seemed important. Thanks for your help.
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Doesn't answer the specific question , but:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/138223141/Dz ... om-podcast
I had been looking for that transcript for a while. Thank you so much!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

IDK, i've always assumed this varies, as for sure I know of practices where I've been told all that's really "needed" is a lung. Like pretty much everything, I don't think there is a unified answer..ya do what your teacher(s) say(s);).

-Khunu Lama
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

:shrug:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

amanitamusc wrote::shrug:
Well, it was live. I don't know what happened :crying:
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

It came back on for a few seconds and it seemed like everyone was just sitting there listening to music. I'm happy that they're postponing the resounding until the livestream is working properly for everyone.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Does anyone have the Chetsum nyingthik ngöndro, or atleast a tip where it could be found. I have noticed that there is hardly any info on this ngöndro nor on the cycle of teachings as whole.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Punya

Post by Punya »

I'm no expert either but my guess Is that the lungs are for Rinpoche's existing students and that the ngondro of an individual student would be supervised by one of his senior students.

Perhaps the offer of the lungs has come about due to the demise of the Dharma Das program.

Rather than acting on our idle speculation, I suggest contacting [email protected].
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Miroku wrote:Does anyone have the Chetsum nyingthik ngöndro, or atleast a tip where it could be found. I have noticed that there is hardly any info on this ngöndro nor on the cycle of teachings as whole.
Mirror of Wisdom has the whole Chetsun Nyingthig on DVD from Khempo Jigphun.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Who were the two Lama's he received these three Ngondro's from?
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Punya wrote:
I'm no expert either but my guess Is that the lungs are for Rinpoche's existing students and that the ngondro of an individual student would be supervised by one of his senior students.

Perhaps the offer of the lungs has come about due to the demise of the Dharma Das program.

Rather than acting on our idle speculation, I suggest contacting [email protected].
He said nothing remotely close to your guess .
Punya

Post by Punya »

amanitamusc wrote:
Punya wrote:

He said nothing remotely close to your guess .
:smile:

So, are you going to share it with us?
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma Events”