"Introduction to the Middle Way" 8 week online course begins today, June 7 2017

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
ItsRaining

Re: "Introduction to the Middle Way" 8 week online course begins today, June 7 2017

Post by ItsRaining »

Punya wrote:
ItsRaining wrote:
Punya wrote: It's an introductory course so it's not surprising refuting the Cittamatran school is going to be covered. I can't answer your question directly but you might find one of the recommended course texts interesting:
Is the Cittamatran view considered so much lower in Tibet that is has be refuted straight away?
Why don't you sign up and find out. I'm expect Alex would be happy to answer questions.
I have! Probably will ask it at a more appropriate time after the program reaches that week.
Rick

Re: "Introduction to the Middle Way" 8 week online course begins today, June 7 2017

Post by Rick »

After the second of eight weekly classes (video talks and assigned readings) I can happily report that I find this to be an *excellent* introduction to the Madhyamaka (via discussion of Dzongsar Khyentse's commentary on Chandrakirti's Madhyamakāvatāra) from a guy who clearly knows of what he speaks, Alex Trisoglio, student of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche. If you're thinking it's time for you to get yer Middle Way on and clarify the view ... you can slip into the class and catch up for week 3.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

ItsRaining wrote:The course seems to involve a a week of "refuting the Cittamatra School", do any Tibetans view the Cittamatra as a higher view than the Madhamaka or does the Madhyamaka have a "monolpoly" over Tibetan Buddhism? Are there any texts or sources available in English where a Yogacarin refutes the Madhyamaka teachings?
The union of the Prasangika and Chittamatrin views is pre-eminent.
Manju

Post by Manju »

Great online course and very accessible.

Something to ponder upon ( course transcript, week 2) :

``````````````````
Defining what is means to be a bodhisattva by action (practice):

When we assign the name by action and practice, here we need to reflect on what Shantideva talked about in terms of ‘entering bodhicitta’ and ‘application bodhicitta’.

The wish or aspiration is different from the entering or application.

And when we start, as Rinpoche said yes aspiration is good, but just having an aspiration, just having a passing wish to enlighten all sentient beings, that is different from committing oneself to the path.

And application bodhicitta or entering bodhicitta only begins when you make the commitment that from that point onwards everything that you do will be for the sake of enlightening all sentient beings.

In more contemporary terms, we might say it’s an existential choice.

The Wikipedia entry on existentialism says:
Authentic existence involves the idea that one has to "create oneself" and then live in accordance with this self […] The authentic act is one that is in accordance with one's freedom.

So there is this notion that we have to change the story that we’re telling about ourselves, about who we are, about what our life is about - what is our purpose?

We have to engage in very deliberate self-authorship where we now author ourselves as bodhisattvas.

There’s an explicit recreation or creation of a new identity for ourselves.
And at that point we can consider ourselves bodhisattvas as defined by action or practice. So this is a great distinction to reflect upon for yourself.

When you think about your narrative, when you think about how you describe your passion, your purpose, what your life is about, what your work is about, how you relate to the world, to relationships, to work – how are you doing this?

What is your narrative?

When somebody asks you why are you doing this, what answer do you come up with?

And is the answer, “because I want to bring all sentient beings to enlightenment”?

Is that your answer?

It’s a great reflection.
`````````````````````````````````````
:coffee:

Manju

Return to “Dharma Events”