Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
User avatar
khemmis
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by khemmis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 am

Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton. Saturday, February 1 at 11am PT.

Free LIVE webcast, in which Lopön Chandra offers the Oral Transmission (Lung) for three of the core practices in the Tara Mandala community:
* Riwo Sangchöd (from the Rigdzin Sogdrub)
* The Chöd practice of Chögyal Namkha'i Norbu Rinpoche
* Green Tara of the Ösel Dorje Sangdzö.

For more info click here: https://www.taramandala.org/openwebcast21/

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:53 am

Based on the list in the main Dzogchen Community thread, she does not have permission to give those practices from ChNN. Only Tsultrim Allione has this. Has this changed since 2016?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
billy hudson
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:38 am

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by billy hudson » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:53 am
Based on the list in the main Dzogchen Community thread, she does not have permission to give those practices from ChNN. Only Tsultrim Allione has this. Has this changed since 2016?
It's a good question. At https://www.taramandala.org/product/cho ... -rinpoche/ it says " Lama Tsultrim, as well as Lopon Chandra Easton, have been authorized by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu to teach this Chod practice." Personally I am unable to believe that Lama Tsultrim would put that on the Tara Mandala website if it were not true.

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 pm

billy hudson wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:59 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:53 am
Based on the list in the main Dzogchen Community thread, she does not have permission to give those practices from ChNN. Only Tsultrim Allione has this. Has this changed since 2016?
It's a good question. At https://www.taramandala.org/product/cho ... -rinpoche/ it says " Lama Tsultrim, as well as Lopon Chandra Easton, have been authorized by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu to teach this Chod practice." Personally I am unable to believe that Lama Tsultrim would put that on the Tara Mandala website if it were not true.
It could simply be that he forgot her when giving that list in 2016. Alternatively he may have authorised Tsultrim Allione to train teachers of his Chod and for her to authorise them to give the empowerment. After all, someone has to do so or it dies. I'm just a bit cautious around these dharma businesses.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Malcolm
Posts: 29752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:05 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 pm

It could simply be that he forgot her when giving that list in 2016. Alternatively he may have authorised Tsultrim Allione to train teachers of his Chod and for her to authorise them to give the empowerment. After all, someone has to do so or it dies. I'm just a bit cautious around these dharma businesses.
Tsultrim met with ChNN after this point. Tsultrim is legit, and so is Candra. I know them both, the former quite well, and the latter only slightly. Nevertheless, this is all perfectly fine. Nothing to see here. Move along.

User avatar
Vasana
Posts: 2067
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Vasana » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Is the authorization to teach the same as authorization to offer the lung of the practice? Although I don't know anything about Lopon Chandra, I personally have the greatest confidence in Lama Tsultrim and so would trust if she deems Lopon Chandra capable.
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

User avatar
khemmis
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by khemmis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:05 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 pm

It could simply be that he forgot her when giving that list in 2016. Alternatively he may have authorised Tsultrim Allione to train teachers of his Chod and for her to authorise them to give the empowerment. After all, someone has to do so or it dies. I'm just a bit cautious around these dharma businesses.
Tsultrim met with ChNN after this point. Tsultrim is legit, and so is Candra. I know them both, the former quite well, and the latter only slightly. Nevertheless, this is all perfectly fine. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Lopon Chandra Easton (and Karla Jackson Brewer) received permission directly from ChNNR when he was at Tara Mandala. Lama Tsultrim asked him and he said, "Of course, otherwise how will it go on in the future?".

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:42 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:05 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 pm

It could simply be that he forgot her when giving that list in 2016. Alternatively he may have authorised Tsultrim Allione to train teachers of his Chod and for her to authorise them to give the empowerment. After all, someone has to do so or it dies. I'm just a bit cautious around these dharma businesses.
Tsultrim met with ChNN after this point. Tsultrim is legit, and so is Candra. I know them both, the former quite well, and the latter only slightly. Nevertheless, this is all perfectly fine. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Good. Maybe the list ChNN issued (shown on the DC thread) should be updated by those who know, or deleted if it is misleading.

I've no personal interest, but it would be good in the present circumstances if teachers explained their connection and authorisation clearly when advertising teachings, lungs etc. It mention authorisation deeper in, but initially her mini biography does not even mention ChNN as a teacher of hers.
Last edited by Mantrik on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

climb-up
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by climb-up » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:47 pm

khemmis wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:54 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:05 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 pm

It could simply be that he forgot her when giving that list in 2016. Alternatively he may have authorised Tsultrim Allione to train teachers of his Chod and for her to authorise them to give the empowerment. After all, someone has to do so or it dies. I'm just a bit cautious around these dharma businesses.
Tsultrim met with ChNN after this point. Tsultrim is legit, and so is Candra. I know them both, the former quite well, and the latter only slightly. Nevertheless, this is all perfectly fine. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Lopon Chandra Easton (and Karla Jackson Brewer) received permission directly from ChNNR when he was at Tara Mandala. Lama Tsultrim asked him and he said, "Of course, otherwise how will it go on in the future?".
:heart: :heart: :heart:

User avatar
Hazel
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Hazel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 am

Super noobish question alert...

Is there any risk or downside to receiving transmissions like this?

Also, how do you know ahead of time if there are practice commitments?

What if one is not "ready" which I am probably not... Though I did receive a green tara lung and training from them.

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 10438
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 am

Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 am
Super noobish question alert...

Is there any risk or downside to receiving transmissions like this?

Also, how do you know ahead of time if there are practice commitments?

What if one is not "ready" which I am probably not... Though I did receive a green tara lung and training from them.
Tara Mandala have done these before, and I think there are no commitments, but I'm not positive. You should study up on the Tantric vows, and look into the teachers as deeply as you can. There are lots of texts on examining a teacher, but IMO in a practical sense it is kind of common sense combined with some study and intuition. Lama Allione is pretty reputable.

In the Sakya lineage, which was my first exposure to Vajrayana, we were generally encouraged to take empowerment as a practice, so you do it not to obtain permission to do the practice or because you have a plan to implement, but for the transformation and ripening it creates in your mindstream. For that reason, I have had all kinds of empowerments that I took to make a connection to a teacher and for the experience, that had no practice commitments.

Personally, if you feel excited by it I would do some homework and then go ahead and do it for the positive connection, but that is me, and there's something to be said for not "collecting" these things as well. These are pretty precious, so I think going in with that understanding is the primary thing, idk.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

User avatar
Hazel
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Hazel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am

Reading up on it, it looks like I inadvertently took tantric vows when doing their green Tara web course, implicitly. Given all the uncertainties I've had about Tara Mandala and my usual bad habit of doubting teachers (which I'm actively working on breaking), it sounds like I've broken said vows too. Ugh.

Norwegian
Posts: 1556
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Norwegian » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:43 am

Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am
Reading up on it, it looks like I inadvertently took tantric vows when doing their green Tara web course, implicitly. Given all the uncertainties I've had about Tara Mandala and my usual bad habit of doubting teachers (which I'm actively working on breaking), it sounds like I've broken said vows too. Ugh.
Any Vajrayana practice comes with samaya. Practice commitments are a different thing altogether, such as "Do x practice y times a day/week" etc.

Tsultrim Allione is a good practitioner and is authorized by ChNN to give these practices, along with Chandra Easton as well. So honestly I would relax a little if I were you. Don't beat yourself up. Enjoy practice. Buddhadharma is a wonderful thing. Be joyful.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 10438
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:38 am

Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am
Reading up on it, it looks like I inadvertently took tantric vows when doing their green Tara web course, implicitly. Given all the uncertainties I've had about Tara Mandala and my usual bad habit of doubting teachers (which I'm actively working on breaking), it sounds like I've broken said vows too. Ugh.
I've been told by a few people that it's impossible not to break samaya, it's in a continual process of repair.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

User avatar
Vasana
Posts: 2067
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Vasana » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:04 am

Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am
Reading up on it, it looks like I inadvertently took tantric vows when doing their green Tara web course, implicitly. Given all the uncertainties I've had about Tara Mandala and my usual bad habit of doubting teachers (which I'm actively working on breaking), it sounds like I've broken said vows too. Ugh.
I remember other threads on this topic speaking about vows or commitments which you didn't know you were taking. It's not the same as being negligent of them intentionally so I would echo Norwegians comment on relaxing and finding the joy. Commitment to the teaching isn't the same as a specific practice commitment.

As for perception of teachers, I think unless you already implicity trust a teacher, (we might say we do explicitly but implicitly harbour doubts) the student needs to put in a bit of effort to examine their qualities and the overall net benefit of their activities to feel more grateful and inspired by the teacher and the relationship. Even if we have a teacher who we're not sure is on the bhumis, let alone a Buddha, if they are teaching with lineage and sincerity and are further along the path than us then they are, in nature and effect, expressions of the activity of the Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, the Vidyadharas, Vajradharas...the Dakinis...of Guru Rinpoche. The movements of Tara.
  • Whenever the guru explains the meaning of the Buddha’s words, his or her wisdom mind is infused by the Buddha. After all, it is impossible to explain the Buddha’s teachings without being inspired by the Buddha’s blessings. Thus, irrespective of whether the guru is actually enlightened, the imparting of instructions is certainly buddha activity. In this respect, the guru is comparable to a medium and the Buddha to an oracle-deity who is channelled. It suffices to understand the principle in this way
- On Seeing the Guru as a Buddha
by Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima (available on Lotsawa house)

Then you can examine that notion at the level of the world and the minds and emotions of beings in light of the 4 reliances as taught by the Buddha.
  • Rely on the message of the teacher, not on his personality (gang zag la mi rton/ chos la rton);

    Rely on the meaning, not just on the words (tshig la mi rton/ don la rton);

    Rely on the real meaning, not on the provisional one (drang don la mi rton/ nges don la rton);

    Rely on your wisdom mind, not on your ordinary, judgemental mind (rnam shes la mi rton/ ye shes la rton).
But don't go short on reflecting on their activities and accomplishments in society too. Overall, you have to put in a bit of effort to rouse and sustain deep appreciation, gratitude and inspiration to practice from your teachers if it isn't occurring naturally. Some call it devotion but that word often has it's own set of problematic connotations for some hence the other choice of words
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

Malcolm
Posts: 29752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:29 pm

Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am
Reading up on it, it looks like I inadvertently took tantric vows when doing their green Tara web course, implicitly. Given all the uncertainties I've had about Tara Mandala and my usual bad habit of doubting teachers (which I'm actively working on breaking), it sounds like I've broken said vows too. Ugh.
If you have never had any kind of major empowerment, or a Dzogchen empowerment, you have no samaya at all. You cannot receive samaya from a lung alone.

AJP
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by AJP » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm

Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 am
Super noobish question alert...

Is there any risk or downside to receiving transmissions like this?

Also, how do you know ahead of time if there are practice commitments?

What if one is not "ready" which I am probably not... Though I did receive a green tara lung and training from them.
Why not seek out a daily Ngondro practice from a suitable teacher you feel a strong connection/devotion first?

That's assuming you haven't already.........

User avatar
Hazel
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Hazel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:12 am

Thank you all for your responses.
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:29 pm
Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am
Reading up on it, it looks like I inadvertently took tantric vows when doing their green Tara web course, implicitly. Given all the uncertainties I've had about Tara Mandala and my usual bad habit of doubting teachers (which I'm actively working on breaking), it sounds like I've broken said vows too. Ugh.
If you have never had any kind of major empowerment, or a Dzogchen empowerment, you have no samaya at all. You cannot receive samaya from a lung alone.
What makes an empowerment "major"? The practice was said to be of the second highest class. There was a lung then a month or two of online webcasts explaining the practice. There was no repeating/saying anything during any of it, which is my previous understand of a lung vs an empowerment.

Malcolm
Posts: 29752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:48 am

Hazel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:12 am
Thank you all for your responses.
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:29 pm
Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am
Reading up on it, it looks like I inadvertently took tantric vows when doing their green Tara web course, implicitly. Given all the uncertainties I've had about Tara Mandala and my usual bad habit of doubting teachers (which I'm actively working on breaking), it sounds like I've broken said vows too. Ugh.
If you have never had any kind of major empowerment, or a Dzogchen empowerment, you have no samaya at all. You cannot receive samaya from a lung alone.
What makes an empowerment "major"? The practice was said to be of the second highest class. There was a lung then a month or two of online webcasts explaining the practice. There was no repeating/saying anything during any of it, which is my previous understand of a lung vs an empowerment.
A major empowerment generally lasts two days. However, there are shorter Nyingma empowerments rooted in system of Dzogchen, which also serve as "ripening" empowerments. If you have never attended any of these, you do not have any samaya at all.

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 10438
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:16 am

AJP wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm
Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 am
Super noobish question alert...

Is there any risk or downside to receiving transmissions like this?

Also, how do you know ahead of time if there are practice commitments?

What if one is not "ready" which I am probably not... Though I did receive a green tara lung and training from them.
Why not seek out a daily Ngondro practice from a suitable teacher you feel a strong connection/devotion first?

That's assuming you haven't already.........
Not all lineages or teachers introduce a student Tantra by expecting exclusive Ngondro practice beforehand.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Post Reply

Return to “Dharma Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests