Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
AJP

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by AJP » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:21 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:16 am
AJP wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm
Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 am
Super noobish question alert...

Is there any risk or downside to receiving transmissions like this?

Also, how do you know ahead of time if there are practice commitments?

What if one is not "ready" which I am probably not... Though I did receive a green tara lung and training from them.
Why not seek out a daily Ngondro practice from a suitable teacher you feel a strong connection/devotion first?

That's assuming you haven't already.........
Not all lineages or teachers introduce a student Tantra by expecting exclusive Ngondro practice beforehand.
It's true, but good to develop Renunciation, 4 thoughts and so on

dharmafootsteps

Re: Tara Mandala Open Webcast Transmission with Dorje Lopön Chandra Easton (Riwo Sangchöd, Chöd, Green Tara)

Post by dharmafootsteps » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:24 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:29 pm
Hazel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am
Reading up on it, it looks like I inadvertently took tantric vows when doing their green Tara web course, implicitly. Given all the uncertainties I've had about Tara Mandala and my usual bad habit of doubting teachers (which I'm actively working on breaking), it sounds like I've broken said vows too. Ugh.
If you have never had any kind of major empowerment, or a Dzogchen empowerment, you have no samaya at all. You cannot receive samaya from a lung alone.
This is something I don't quite understand about the way a couple of Western sanghas operate, one being Tara Mandala. Plenty of people I trust vouch for Tsultrim Allione, so I'm not trying to challenge her approach, just understand where it's coming from.

It seems Tara Mandala consider receiving a lung like this, either online or in-person, then receiving the tri, either in a pre-recordered online course or in-person, to be sufficient to engage in these practices. This seems to be missing the key component of either having direct introduction as a sort of 'master' wang, or the having the specific wang for the practice. I always thought direct introduction was the means by which one could then simply receive lung/tri to engage in a specific vajrayana practice, and not require a specific wang. Do you know anything about why/how Tara Mandala are introducing people to these practices without any form of wang? Is there a basis in the teachings for this?

The other place I was referencing was Dawn Mountain, run by Harvey Aronson and Anne Klein, again somewhere that seems like an excellent western sangha, with good teachers and under the auspices of Adzom Paylo Rinpoche. But they too are introducing people to vajrayana practices without wang (under the approval of APR from my understanding). Largely due to circumstances I think, since APR can't come to the US just now.

I know lots of western centers/teachers do all sorts of strange things, but these two just always seemed to me like particularly good/legit ones, so I'm keen to better understand what this approach is based on.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:48 pm

dharmafootsteps wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:24 am
This is something I don't quite understand about the way a couple of Western sanghas operate, one being Tara Mandala. Plenty of people I trust vouch for Tsultrim Allione, so I'm not trying to challenge her approach, just understand where it's coming from.

It seems Tara Mandala consider receiving a lung like this, either online or in-person, then receiving the tri, either in a pre-recordered online course or in-person, to be sufficient to engage in these practices. This seems to be missing the key component of either having direct introduction as a sort of 'master' wang, or the having the specific wang for the practice. I always thought direct introduction was the means by which one could then simply receive lung/tri to engage in a specific vajrayana practice, and not require a specific wang. Do you know anything about why/how Tara Mandala are introducing people to these practices without any form of wang? Is there a basis in the teachings for this?

The other place I was referencing was Dawn Mountain, run by Harvey Aronson and Anne Klein, again somewhere that seems like an excellent western sangha, with good teachers and under the auspices of Adzom Paylo Rinpoche. But they too are introducing people to vajrayana practices without wang (under the approval of APR from my understanding). Largely due to circumstances I think, since APR can't come to the US just now.

I know lots of western centers/teachers do all sorts of strange things, but these two just always seemed to me like particularly good/legit ones, so I'm keen to better understand what this approach is based on.
Some Tibetan teachers do that too. I don't understand the details why or how, but in some cases it seems to be kosher.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Return to “Dharma Events”