free retreat

Odin

free retreat

Postby Odin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:34 pm

I would like to go on a Buddhist retreat. I do not have a whole lot of money. I was wondering if I could pay some other way than monetary. I want to go on a retreat to see if Buddhist monk life is for me before I go all out and be committed. What's all involved? what should I expect? what are the rules? what do we eat all day? Is it possible in north America for it to be a Shaolin temple? I would like that one because of the exercise they do also. can I chant in English??

maybay

Re: free retreat

Postby maybay » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:40 pm

Vipassana retreats are free. Otherwise centres are often looking for volunteers / part-time work. Check their websites. Find out about the different traditions by going to temples or meditation groups in your area. They often have retreats but they might be too small to do any kind of marketing.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Odin wrote:I would like to go on a Buddhist retreat. I do not have a whole lot of money. I was wondering if I could pay some other way than monetary. I want to go on a retreat to see if Buddhist monk life is for me before I go all out and be committed. What's all involved? what should I expect? what are the rules? what do we eat all day? Is it possible in north America for it to be a Shaolin temple? I would like that one because of the exercise they do also. can I chant in English??
What tradition do you practice in?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Odin

Postby Odin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:16 am

I am not sure which I would like to. I am still figuring that out. I want one that does exercise and martial arts so would that be Shaolin? Just Yoga and calisthenics are fine also. I got a bunch of workout DVDs for fitness by Shaolin monks. The closest big city to me is Saint Louis in Missouri but I live in Illinois though.

Return to “North America (USA & Canada)”