Yuthok Nyingthig Group Ngondro Retreat

pemachophel

Yuthok Nyingthig Group Ngondro Retreat

Post by pemachophel »

Dear Friends in the Dharma,

Last Sunday, Dec. 11, 2016, Dr. Nida gave the Yuthok Nyingthig essential empowerment here at Boulder Valley Ngakpa House. That is the second time this year that empowerment has been given at our center and the third time in 18 months in the Boulder-Denver area in Colorado. Since there are now some new initiates, I would like to offer our second, group, 7-day Yuthok ngondro retreat for those who would like to accomplish this practice. Accomplishment of this practice allows one to go on and do any of the other Yuthok Nyingthig practices and especially Yuthok Nyingthig Dzogchen.

This retreat is open to all those who have had either the Yuthok Nyingthig root or essential empowerments. The retreat is free of charge, non-residential, and non-boundaried. That means that people will sleep in their own homes, AirBnBs, hotels/motels, etc. and commute to Boulder Valley Ngakpa House each morning. For those who would like, we will provide simple vegetarian breakfasts and lunchs at a cost of $6-7 per day. Vegans will be accommodated. If one prefers to bring their own breakfasts and lunches, that's also ok. The retreat will be held in the Boulder Valley Ngakpa House shrine-room in Lafayette, CO. We are looking for a minimum of five (5) participants (besides myself) and a maximum of 10. I will be the drubpon, the practice master. I have completed this practice once on my own and once as drubpon for the retreat we held here last May.

When scheduling a Vajrayana retreat, it is important to end the retreat during the waxing moon, preferably on the 10th or 15th lunar days. Because of my personal retreat schedule for 2017, below are the dates I have settled on. (In my experience, no matter what dates I choose, they will not work for everyone who would otherwise like to come. Sorry.) All participants in this retreat must attend all sessions. There will be no partial attendance except for those whose travel schedule requires that they miss the concluding tshog only.

Schedule:

Opening Yuthok Nyingthig tshog ceremony, Thursday, Feb. 2, 6:30-8:30 PM
Friday, Feb. 3-Thursday to Feb. 9, 6 AM-6 PM, three 3-hour accumulation sessions plus one hour of Protectors per day
Saturday, Feb. 4, 8th-day tshog & Monday, Feb. 6, 10th-day tshog, 7-9 PM each
Friday, Feb. 10, 5ish-8ish AM, concluding tshog (exact beginning time dependent on sunrise that day)

Thus we will begin on the 6th lunar day and end on the 15th (Full Moon).

Anyone who has received the Yuthok Nyingthig root or essential empowerment may attend the opening tshog.

Other than on the 8th and 10th lunar days, participants are expected to continue their practice in the evenings on their own and to forego watching TV, using their computers, checking email, reading the newspaper or magazines, and using their phones (true emergencies excepted). Best is if one can continue reciting any of the prayers and mantras or at least read about the common and uncommon ngondro instructions. It's also ok to read about Yuthok Yonten Gonpo and the Yuthok Nyingthig in general. The issue is to continue the retreat in the evenings even though one is at home. (Normally, this retreat should be four 3-hour sessions per day.)

If you would like to attend this group retreat, please email me telling me when, where, and with whom you have received the Yuthok Nyingthig empowerment. Attendance at this retreat will be at my sole discretion.

For those coming from out-of-town, besides AirBnBs or friends' houses, I would recommend looking at motels/hotels in Longmont, CO. They are cheaper than in Boulder, and Longmont is a 15-minute straight shot down 95th St. to our center. There are shuttle services from Denver International Airport (DIA) to Boulder and Longmont. Unfortunately, there are no motels or hotels in Lafayette per se. (The Circle Motel is a flophouse scheduled for demolition. We do not recommend anyone staying there.)

If you have any questions or concerns about any of this, please don't hesitate to email me. Because I do three plus sessions per day, I'm almost impossible to get ahold of by phone. Sorry.

Lama Pema Chophel
[email protected]
[email protected]
www.bouldervalleyngakpahouse.com
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Re: Yuthok Nyingthig Group Ngondro Retreat

Post by pemachophel »

If anyone would like to participate in our Yuthok Nyingthig ngondro retreat Feb. 2-10 at Boulder Valley Ngakpa House in Lafayette, CO but can't get the time off from work or can't travel to Colorado, you can always make an offering. For instance, for $50 you can feed the all the retreatants breakfast and lunch for one day. Or you can offer a smaller amount and ear-mark it for meals, candles, flowers, offerings on the special Yuthok Nyingthig altar, or for tshog on either Feb. 2, 4, 6, or 10. You can Paypal monetary offerings to: [email protected]. Be sure to indicate what you would like the money to be spent on. You can also bring offerings in kind (candles, flowers, tshog, drinks [alcohol and non], gems, jewels, herbs, medicines, etc.) on Feb. 2 directly to Boulder Valley Ngakpa House at 2539 Columbine Circle, Lafayette, CO 80026.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Completed successfully on the morning of Feb. 10, 2017, the 15th day of the 12th Tibetan lunar month.
dawnbird

Post by dawnbird »

What are the accumulation requirements for completing this Ngondro? Is it a full 100,000 x5?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Can do full 100,000 x 5

Can set a length of time, such as one month.

Can set a number of reps, such as 10% (of 100,000) per section.

Or can do a seven-day retreat with 4 sessions per day and accumulate what you can.

No one size fits all. Especially if one has completed some other full ngondro, it's common to only do a partial count of the Yuthok Nyingthig, especially if one is not or not planning to be a professional medical practitioner.

In any case, whether the ngondro was "accomplished" depends on the signs.

Also not uncommon to do a seven-day retreat over and over several times or even once per year.

The Yuthok Nyingthig is very flexible terma cycle, and a lot depends on one's personal aspirations, needs, and condition.

Return to “North America (USA & Canada)”