Red Yamantaka & RatLing Phurba empowerments - Garchen Rinpoche in CA, April 2017

lelopa

Re: Red Yamantaka & RatLing Phurba empowerments - Garchen Rinpoche in CA, April 2017

Post by lelopa »

Konchog1 wrote:
Karma Jinpa wrote:His special powers annihilate the very root of all these troubles -- atmagraha, or self-cherishing.
Exactly what Rinpoche said today.

Does anyone know:

1. What the consort is holding in her right hand?
2. Why the mantra is different from the mantra in the Yamantaka Tantra?

afaik she holds a Drigug
Lost In Transmission
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Red Yamantaka & RatLing Phurba empowerments - Garchen Rinpoche in CA, April 2017

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Is there somewhere a sadhana or text that explains this practice?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Not sure about the sadhana, but will inquire. In the meantime, enjoy the teachings. We start an hour earlier than yesterday (9 a.m. Pacific, 12:00 p.m. Eastern), and there should be a Refuge Ceremony around 1:30 p.m. Pacific (which is 4:30 p.m. Eastern).

If you're curious about whether you can take Refuge with Garchen Rinpoche via a webcast, I can speak from my own experience when I say yes. That's how I first did it. All I was instructed to do was cut a few strands of hair and send them to Garchen Institute at the following address. They sent me back a Refuge card and possibly some other Dharma goodies.

P.O. Box 4318
Chino Valley, AZ 86323-4318

If you need help converting Los Angeles time to your local time, here's a website that can help. I've used it regularly for years, including to convert Indian time to my local U.S. time:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Don't forget (scroll down past pinned post, refresh if you don't see "Rinchen Choling is live"):
Alternate webcast link (live video will show at top in larger format): https://www.facebook.com/pg/RinchenChol ... e_internal

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

This afternoon Garchen Rinpoche is giving a teaching on the new Mahamudra ngondro that he wrote. You can get the pdf from Garchen Institute.
Palzang Jangchub

Karma Jinpa wrote:If you're curious about whether you can take Refuge with Garchen Rinpoche via a webcast, I can speak from my own experience when I say yes. That's how I first did it. All I was instructed to do was cut a few strands of hair and send them to Garchen Institute at the following address. They sent me back a Refuge card and possibly some other Dharma goodies.

P.O. Box 4318
Chino Valley, AZ 86323-4318
After reading back through old emails, apparently a photo of yourself is also asked for. In addition, i wrote a letter with my English name explaining who I am (on the relative level), etc.

The reason for cutting a few strands of hair from the crown of one's head is that this is normally done by the preceptor (the person who bestows the Refuge vows). My limited understanding is that this is a sign of renunciation, as well as an offering to the lama (in Tibetan this is referred to as "offering the first fruits of one's crown").

In particular, Kyabjé (i.e. "Lord of Refuge") Garchen Rinpoche puts the hairs of his disciples in a pouch along with an image of White Tara. He prays and does various practices over this pouch, transferring great blessings and merit to us. Then, after some time (perhaps a year), he leaves the hairs in a holy place---a traditional act of disposal for blessed objects which also garners much blessings and merit.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Palzang Jangchub

If you find yourself kicked off the Live Video and upon visiting Rinchen Choling's FB page you're unable to find the Live Video again, please visit Rinchen Choling's website and click on the large photo of Rinpoche with the Live Streaming link. This is the best way to ensure you have the Live Video appear!

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Karma Jinpa wrote:If you find yourself kicked off the Live Video and upon visiting Rinchen Choling's FB page you're unable to find the Live Video again, please visit Rinchen Choling's website and click on the large photo of Rinpoche with the Live Streaming link. This is the best way to ensure you have the Live Video appear!
I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one...was getting dizzy from all the bouncing. :smile: Would you tell them how bad it was? Probably folks not turning off their phones, but it'll be a problem for the Vajrakilaya empowerment if they don't know.
Thanks for the new link. :twothumbsup:
Palzang Jangchub

Everyone who experienced a significant drop should probably leave a comment on their FB so that they don't think it was just happening to one person, and they know that it was on their end.

Airplane mode is key if people want to record the teachings but not interrupt the livestream. Even using your own mobile data, when it sends and receives, messes with equipment. That's the beeping/clicking like Morse code that you hear through speakers at an event, or even on your end through your computer, for that matter. Someone is sending/receiving a packet of data...

The bonus to airplane mode is your battery lasts faaar longer than it would otherwise, which means less chance your device will die in the middle of recording!

Palzang Jangchub

Karma Jinpa wrote:After reading back through old emails, apparently a photo of yourself is also asked for. In addition, i wrote a letter with my English name explaining who I am (on the relative level), etc.
Garchen Buddhist Institute wrote:In response to your requests it will be possible to receive Refuge Vows from H.E. Garchen Rinpoche by streaming when he gives the vows [...]

To receive the vows from Rinpoche via streaming, he asks that you send the following to Garchen Institute:

1. a short clipping of a few strands of your hair cut close to the scalp—the clipping should be about 1/2-inch long, or shorter if your hair is not that long
2. a small picture of yourself
3. your name and mailing address

Mail to:
Refuge Vows
Garchen Institute
PO Box 4318
Chino Valley, AZ 86323

In return, you will receive a card with your refuge name and blessings from the ceremony.

Emaho! May all be auspicious!
I should've mentioned earlier that I did this back in November 2013, and the Refuge ceremony was being webcast directly from Garchen Institute, rather than another Drikung center. I'm not sure if the protocol is still the same or not. I'd contact both centers (Rinchen Chöling and GBI) and see what they say, honestly.

That said, if I were to send those items now, I'd be worried about them reaching Garchen Rinpoche in time unless I shipped them somehow that would ensure that got to Arcadia/Los Angeles in time. As it stands now, Rinpoche will be leaving shortly after April 16th to spend the remainder of the month in Seattle, Washington, and then spending most of May in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

However, due to the 4th annual U.S. Drikung Kagyu Mönlam being held at Garchen Institute this year, we are aware in advance that both Kyabjé Garchen Rinpoche and Drikung Kyabgön Chetsang Rinpoche will be there in the middle of June.

This is why it makes sense (to me, at least) to send the requested items to GBI; rather than possibly miss getting them to Rinpoche in Cali, you could very well have them ready and waiting for Rinpoche before he returns home to Arizona from his travels.

Then again, this was done in a certain context a few years back, so you'll want to check with GBI to make sure they're still doing this.

Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Any hear back about the Sadhana?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Konchog1 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:26 am Any hear back about the Sadhana?
Yesterday (!) I found out the sadhana is a terma from lho nuden dorje - but i'm not able to find it at TBRC or elswehere :tantrum:
Lost In Transmission

Return to “North America (USA & Canada)”