5th Annual USA Drikung Kagyu Monlam: June 9-10

anjali
Former staff member

5th Annual USA Drikung Kagyu Monlam: June 9-10

Post by anjali »

I was surprised to not see this mentioned anywhere in Dharma Events (maybe I just missed it in my search). Don't know if it is going to be webcast.

conebeckham

Re: 5th Annual USA Drikung Kagyu Monlam: June 9-10

Post by conebeckham »

Just down the road.......
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

conebeckham wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:01 pm Just down the road.......
Nice. Will you be attending? I'm driving in tomorrow.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

anjali wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 pm
conebeckham wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:01 pm Just down the road.......
Nice. Will you be attending? I'm driving in tomorrow.
Hopefully on Sunday......

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Anyone have a webcast link?

Can't find a live stream under either org on YouTube, and the event's going on now...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Garchen Institute facebook page has the live stream.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

What is (more, or less) the difference between a >5-fold-Path-Mahamudra-Wang< and a "normal" Drikung Chakrasamvara-Wang?
Which is the Sadhana for the Mahamudra-Samvara?!?
Lost In Transmission
Palzang Jangchub

The longer FFM sadhana (as traditionally used in retreat) is over 200 pecha pages long, of which the Chakrasamvara practice itself is only 33 pages (151 to 184). http://vajrapub.com/product/long-form-o ... mahamudra/

The shorter version, known as The Stream of Blessings is only 52 pecha pages by comparison, though how much of that is Chakrasamvara I don't know. http://vajrapub.com/product/fivefold-mahamudra-2/

Then there is also what I believe to be the combined practice and commentary of Shri Chakrasamvara that stems from the Kagyu Ngak Dzöd which is a mere 12 pages in booklet format, though this could simply be the commentary itself.
http://vajrapub.com/product/chakrasamvara/
many

Lastly there is the "Concise Heruka" sadhana which is 26 pecha pages, presumably on Chakrasamvara.
http://vajrapub.com/product/heruka-dire ... s-essence/

Not sure how the practice lineages of these differ. Certainly the main form of Chakrasamvara in Drikung is said to stem from Ghantapa(da), with one face and two arms standing on both feet, embracing his consort who stands on one leg and wraps the other around him in tantric union. I believe the form contained is in the Kagyu Ngak Dzöd is much more elaborate with several more arms.

Maybe someone who has received the alternate form can comment on it? Personally I've only received Chakrasamvara yab-yum as part of the Fivefold Mahamudra torwang, and gotten the pe'i wang for a Chakrasamvara sadhana. Haven't had the empowerments of any other forms...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

:thanks:
Lost In Transmission
Palzang Jangchub

There's probably also an Ekavira (i.e. Chakrasamvara only) form or two somewhere. Just as Vajravarahi gets her own sadhana without the Yab, Chakrasamvara would have a sadhana without the Yum, though in both cases I do believe the khatvanga represents the absent figure.

HAR says that this 11-armed yab-yum version is also held in Drikung, though I'm not sure if it's from the Kagyu Ngak Dzöd or some other source, as they don't list the lineage.

https://www.himalayanart.org/items/895

As always, best to ask lamas who know what they're talking about... in this case Drikungpas, rather than a lazy fool like moi.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There are so many Cakrasamvara forms and lineages, it boggles the mind.

Marpa's main Cakrasamvara tradition, passed to Mila and others, was a five deity practice, yabyum with two hands and one face for Demchok, and same for Phagmo. All the Marpa Kagyu lineages, including the Drikung, share this. It is said to be from Naropa, and it's variously said to be related to Luipa's and/or Ghantapada's traditions. But it differs from the sadhanas for both of those traditions in some ways. I'd bet the Drikung practice this form, for the most part, just as most other Kagyupas do.....sadhanas will differ, of course.

Marpa also had a White Samvara tradition, seated.

Some Kagyupas also practice the Luipa or Ghantapada traditions, and probably also the Krisnacarya tradition, I don't know. Some rely on Niguma's tradition which is a five deity mandala as well, but it differs from all of these. Maitripa has a transmission, and there's the Donkey Headed one, and I am sure a bunch of others....I've even heard there is a Terma tradition of Cakrasamvara.

Ngok's actually famous receiving the extensive commentarial tradition of 7 mandalas/tantras from Marpa, and Kongtrul added some additional mandalas and practices that come from Marpa. That's why you can read about the "13 mandalas of Ngok"--it came from Kongtrul's compilation. The main Cakrasamvara practice is Marpa's five deity mandala as well, and the white one and a 71 deity mandala one are included.

There's also the Rechung NyenGyu of Cakrasamvara and of Vajravarahi, which the Surmang uphold, and it's found elsewhere as well. And to further confuse things, Kongtrul actually added Rechungpa's Vajrapani to the Kagyu Ngakdzo, too.

Return to “North America (USA & Canada)”