on boredom and zafu

Share your stories and poems with us here.
weitsicht

on boredom and zafu

Post by weitsicht »

Pain, indolence, sterility, endless ennui have also their lesson for you, if you are great
R.W. Emerson

Or as I wrote in the sirimangalo Forum when I was still in the very middle of it:
Boredom nags, boredom enervates, boredom makes me seek Entertainment and distraction. Boredom is ego's manifold disguises.

daibunny wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:57 pm
justsit wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:37 pm Gomdens are ungodly uncomfortable. A good buckwheat hull zafu is da bomb.
If you are flexible enough to use one of the traditional postures, a buckwheat zafu is one of the best investments you will ever make, i agree. Gomdens really are terrible.
I hadn't heard that term zafu before. The zafu apparently somewhat absorbed me: it showed up in my dreams. And I hardly remember my dreams, so this was particuliar.

That was the message then: after two months abstaining from any Antidote against boredom I went back onto my cushion and the boredom dissolved (as much as ego's share of it).

I whish you all well. Be the Christmas time to you neither boring nor taxing. Be it the middle way.
Weitsicht.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Simon E.

Re: on boredom and zafu

Post by Simon E. »

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

'Don't try to avoid boredom. Boredom is what you need. Boredom is like rich soil to plant things in. Boredom will never let you down. It is your true friend.'
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Boredom can be a good teacher. Though it's still just boredom. Let's do something about it and tell a joke or make a good meal or give each other a smile. Boredom happens, but it's not an illness. Be vigilant about boredom and find a work-around. Suddenly, several hours with boredom has passed and you did not even know how you got rid of it. It can be overcome.
boda

Post by boda »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 am Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

'Don't try to avoid boredom. Boredom is what you need. Boredom is like rich soil to plant things in. Boredom will never let you down. It is your true friend.'
But if by chance is does let you down, have a drink!
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

odysseus wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 pm Boredom can be a good teacher. Though it's still just boredom. Let's do something about it and tell a joke or make a good meal or give each other a smile. Boredom happens, but it's not an illness. Be vigilant about boredom and find a work-around. Suddenly, several hours with boredom has passed and you did not even know how you got rid of it. It can be overcome.
I don't share this view.
As Long as you try to overcome boredom, it remains your enemy. You Need to make it your friend.
The same with any other harmful Emotion.
This is why I didn't allpy any Antidote for two months: to have an undistracted look.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Which of course was CTR's point..
The afflictions are good teachers not enemies.
But that assumes a relationship with a real teacher.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Creative Writing”