New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
Malcolm

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Malcolm »

Khalil Bodhi wrote: We have a section devoted to the paramis
Pāramitās. Mahayānīs practice pāramitās, not paramis. If you want to be inclusive, you have to be inclusive.
The one requirement is that we asknow all members to have taken refuge and try their best to follow the five precepts.
As defined by whom? What does refuge mean? This is a very loaded term. Does it mean you have a groovy Tibetan or Chinese name? Does it simply mean you are interested in Buddhadharma?

As for the five precepts, whose interpretation?
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I see you're not interested in joining Malcolm.

We would be happy to change the name to paramitas and we chose the name Dharma Paths rather than Dhamma Paths in order to be more inclusive.

There is no end to fault finding but consider this: in our own imperfect way we are trying to support the practice of the Dharma. If our mission doesn't speak to you or seems flat out wrong then who are we to deny your opinion? All are welcome if they come in good faith, take refuge in the Triple Gem and try to live their lives according to the five precepts.
Last edited by Khalil Bodhi on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for a true, virtual community to support your practice? Visit http://dharmapaths.com/
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

I am not conflating anything.

No, the eightfold path does not teach about bodhicitta, empowerment, direct introduction, etc. There really is no way that it can in terms of its view or the history of those teachings.

That's not the point I'm (very poorly) trying to make.

What I'm trying to make is that if one, for example, is a mahayana Buddhist, one can LOOK BACK at the eightfold path, and see that one's training in ultimate bodhicitta HAS SPACE there. There's A SEAT. It's a development of training in wisdom. And one can LOOK BACK at the eightfold path, and see that one's training in relative bodhicitta HAS SPACE there. There's A SEAT. It's a development of one's training in speech, action, and livelihood.

And so on for anything one can encounter on the Buddhist path.

I don't think that's a radical idea. It's pretty common in my experience.
Malcolm wrote:
Urgyen Dorje wrote:As I was taught, ultimate bodhicitta relates to the higher training of wisdom, and thus the right view of wisdom and intention, and relative bodhicitta realtes to all parts of the eight fold path as one is practicing them with a different view and a different motivation.

And as I was taught, empowerment and direct introduction relate to the higher training of wisdom.
Please explain to me where bodhicitta, etc., are explained in texts dealing with the eight-fold path.

You are conflating the three trainings, śīla, samadhi and prajñā, with the eight-fold path.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:I see you're not interested in joining Malcolm.

We would be happy to change the name to paramitas and we chose the name Dharma Paths rather than Dhamma Paths in order to be more inclusive.

There is no end to fault finding but consider this: in our own imperfect way we are trying to support the practice of the Dharma. If our mission doesn't speak to you or seems flat out wrong then who are we to deny your opinion? All are welcome if they come in good faith, take refuge in the Triple Gem and try to live their lives according to the five precepts.

I am point these things out to you because it is very difficult to create a so called "Pan-Buddhist" forum. E-Sangha was such an attempt and it suffered because people who follow various streams of Dharma often have little to share with each other because their views about the path are so radically different.

For example, you are coming at this from a Thervada POV, so naturally you language everything in that manner. Changing the name from Dhamma to Dharma wont change anything, no more than if I change my name from Malcolm to Phuntsok or Ananda Metteya, etc.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:I see you're not interested in joining Malcolm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Precepts

Well, there is a teacher who offered a beautiful drink of whiskey right from his teachers "seat", not everybody came up and got a drink but I did, he gave everybody that came up that drink, which was a pretty generous helping one by one ...so maybe in your opinion that would break one of these 5 precepts, also my attitude is that if he was giving that offering everyday and I lived nearby I'd be coming up there quite regularly for that offering (that's just a fantasy but you get my drift), so you see this could be interpreted as not living according to at least one of the five precepts by many people including yourself, no?
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Could you clarify?

I am far from perfect and break the precepts from time to time but I take them as my minimum standard of conduct. That is all that is being asked. And, if this doesn't appeal to people, then they're is no compulsion to join of course.
Looking for a true, virtual community to support your practice? Visit http://dharmapaths.com/
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

David N. Snyder wrote:"With regard to external factors, I don't envision any other single factor like friendship with admirable people as doing so much for a monk in training, who has not attained the heart's goal but remains intent on the unsurpassed safety from bondage. A monk who is a friend with admirable people abandons what is unskillful and develops what is skillful."
— Iti 17.

"Ven. Ananda went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to the Blessed One, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the holy life, lord: admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie."
"Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path."

SN 45.2

The new forum is for placing practitioners front and centre in the Dharma Practice Community forum, and base the mode of the engagement principally around the notion of kalyana-mittata (spiritual friendship). As Michael notes on the Parisa Abhaya Dana Facebook group he envisages a forum that is “committed to providing kalyanamittata (admirable friendship) for its membership to allow each member to realize the Dharma in their lives according to their disposition, desires and ability.” On the Kalyana Mittata Facebook group Mike R. created, he wrote. “a place for spiritual aspirants to engage in valuable Dharma dialogue, founded on the principles of openness, learning, authenticity, trust, and respect. Feel free to invite spiritual friends who share these values and wish to explore the Dharma together in the presence of like-minded individuals.” Seeing the alignment of our intentions and ideals, we have decided to work together and collaborate on making these principles the foundation of an online Dharma Practice Community forum. It is a place to discuss and share anything practice related.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

This intention to benefit all beings,
Which does not arise in others even for their
own sake,
Is an extraordinary jewel of the mind,
And its birth is an unprecedented wonder.
How can I fathom the depths
Of the goodness of this jewel of the mind,
The panacea that relieves the world of pain
And is the source of all its joy?
If merely a benevolent intention
Excels venerating the Buddhas,
Then what need to mention striving to make
All beings without exception happy?

For those who are deprived of happiness
And burdened with many sorrows
It satisfies them with all ioy,
Dispels all suffering,
And clears away confusion.
Where is there a comparable virtue?
Where is there even such a friend?
Where is there merit similar to this?

In the spiritual energy that relieves
The anguish of beings in misery and
Places depressed beings in eternal joy
I lift up my heart and rejoice.

Where would there be leather enough to cover the entire world? With just the leather of my sandals, it is as if the whole world were covered. Likewise, I am unable to restrain external phenomena, but I shall restrain my own mind. What need is there to restrain anything else?

Now, while there is freedom to act,
I should always present a smiling face
And cease to frown and look angry:
I should be a friend and counsel of the world.

Never, even at the cost of my life,
Should I forsake a spiritual friend
who is wise in the meaning of the great
vehicle
And who is a great Bodhisattva practitioner.

Shantideva,

# ones from : http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... 20Life.pdf

non-numbered ones from:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Shantideva
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Peace to all

Joy to all

Health to all

Perfect health to all.

Above all, happiness to all.

In a peaceful, kind, generous manner.

Be well and safe always, wherever you travel in this world.

I recommend travelling by foot.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

' Forgetting the self is opening the self ' - Dogen

I heartily recommend Tara Brach for anyone who is searching for healing the heart, she is an unparalleled teacher.

May we all be the kind of spiritual friend Shantideva is talking about, and the sole guide to the world.

Love, peace, joy -

dear friends.

Don't ever insult someone even if you think their merit or karma is not good enough - is there any better way of putting this?

Work together and be kind - we can get infinitely much more done in this way. Observe anything.

When someone says, "I believe you are strong," this is a good and kind thing to hear -

Do not return it with the unkind thought "I believe you are weak."

This should all be abundantly clear,

Clear heart - Clear mind - See clearly.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Arya Shantideva is one of my favorites. In fact, the Bodhicaryavatara was my first introduction to Buddhism and I still refer to it. I am hoping that more of our Mahayana and Vajrayana sisters and brothers will join us so that this work and the other great Teachings of these traditions can be represented and we can all benefit from then.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Share your Light, and all will benefit;
Namaste,
Peace.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

oops, hehe ; i meant to write so that i would end on a colored one so the next would be bright back ground :)
yes i agree aboslutely :)
tty sometime dunno when :) have wonderful day.
namaste!!!
awesome post, name and words, khalil, i look forward to seeing your posts someday again. be well :smile: :smile: :smile:

total, complete, and joyful faith in all of you. am so happy and wish you all so much happiness from all my heart. adieu for now!

or most simply smile to your sorrow you are more than your sorrow! :namaste:

open heart always grows stronger, etc.

happy and free, be happy today.

:anjali:
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

Don't let the vajrayana chauvinism get you down. I'd like to participate. At this point, I'm locked out of DharmaPaths in much the same way I was with DhammaWheel.
Khalil Bodhi wrote:Arya Shantideva is one of my favorites. In fact, the Bodhicaryavatara was my first introduction to Buddhism and I still refer to it. I am hoping that more of our Mahayana and Vajrayana sisters and brothers will join us so that this work and the other great Teachings of these traditions can be represented and we can all benefit from then.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Urgyen Dorje wrote:Don't let the vajrayana chauvinism get you down. I'd like to participate. At this point, I'm locked out of DharmaPaths in much the same way I was with DhammaWheel.
Khalil Bodhi wrote:Arya Shantideva is one of my favorites. In fact, the Bodhicaryavatara was my first introduction to Buddhism and I still refer to it. I am hoping that more of our Mahayana and Vajrayana sisters and brothers will join us so that this work and the other great Teachings of these traditions can be represented and we can all benefit from then.
Urgyen,

Send me a pm with your email and details and I can manually add you when I get home later today. And thanks for your kind words .
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank those of you who are participating in DP, to invite those who are not and to let you know that we will be moving everything except the Welcome section behind a wall of privacy since the idea of the community is to foster sharing between spiritual friends. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Mettaya,

KB
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

Still locked out. See messages waiting for me but can't pick them up, can't send them, can't post.
Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank those of you who are participating in DP, to invite those who are not and to let you know that we will be moving everything except the Welcome section behind a wall of privacy since the idea of the community is to foster sharing between spiritual friends. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Mettaya,

KB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Urgyen Dorje wrote:Still locked out. See messages waiting for me but can't pick them up, can't send them, can't post.
Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hey everyone,

Mettaya,

KB
Can you send me a PM here with your email and user name so I can get you in?
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

I think what you guys are trying to do is wonderful and hope it succeeds beyond all expectations.

That said I would not dismiss Malcolm's concerns - it is all too easy to become a clique and all fora suffer from this to some extent.

On the other hand if we keep it real, share about our practice as we go about our day, trying to incorporate the Dharma into everything we do, then sharing can be beneficial I think.

_/|\_
Dan
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Dan74 wrote:I think what you guys are trying to do is wonderful and hope it succeeds beyond all expectations.

That said I would not dismiss Malcolm's concerns - it is all too easy to become a clique and all fora suffer from this to some extent.

On the other hand if we keep it real, share about our practice as we go about our day, trying to incorporate the Dharma into everything we do, then sharing can be beneficial I think.

_/|\_
Dan
Dan,

I definitely wouldn't consider dismissing the concerns as they are valid. I hope you will join to bring a much needed perspective.

Mettaya,

KB

Return to “Announcements”