New Policy - Newly Registered Users

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
Admin_PC
Former staff member

New Policy - Newly Registered Users

Post by Admin_PC »

We're trying out a new policy in response to the recent spike in sock puppet accounts. All newly registered users will require approval before their posts go public. After a certain point, once it's been established that they are not a disruptive poster, they will be upgraded to the status of a regular registered user, with permission to post without approval. The creation of sock puppet accounts with IP anonymizers and easy to create email accounts has effectively broken our banning process, so this is a stop-gap to reduce the disruption caused by repeat offenders. If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.
Fortyeightvows

Re: New Policy - Newly Registered Users

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Recently, sometimes I post and get "This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved." other times I post and it goes through automatically...?
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

Some sub forae have moderator review requirements. Others do not.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

AlexMcLeod wrote:Some sub forae have moderator review requirements. Others do not.
That's correct.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Just to extend the information on that ... the Index informs everyone:
Discovering Mahayana Buddhism
If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

This is the only sub-forum for which all posters, always, require approval. We have set it up that way to shield newcomers from responses which may be misleading (e.g. presenting the teachings of only one school as though they are universal doctrine), confusing (e.g. assuming knowledge that most newcomers don't have) or disparaging (e.g. "everyone should know that this is wrong," etc).

In every other sub-forum, Newly Registered Users are the only people whose posts have to wait for approval.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Announcements”